I Have An Excellent Guard Dog

My little fluffer has shown an excellent ability to protect me during his first year of life :p

When he was little, one of his first proper barks was at a small leaf which had infiltrated the house, possibly attached to one cat or the other. It was lying on the floor of the lounge room clearly planning an attack when Saxon spotted it, barked a warning, stalked closer, then pounced and killed it. Phew!

One day in the car when we were stopped at traffic lights, he spotted an shifty-looking swan painted on an electricity substation box thing on the grass by the side of the road. He growled and barked at it while we waited for the lights to change, and kept it at bay until we could drive away to safety.

On a recent walk, he noticed a vicious small shrub in a pot, guarding the front of a house we were passing, along with it's evil twin on the other side of the driveway. He stopped, eyed it and "ruff"ed several times. Both pot plants were too scared to move, and we got safely past.

Last night, he went out the dog door to the back garden (as he usually does) and I heard him barking in the back yard. I went out to check and he had cornered the large, and clearly ill-intentioned, wheelbarrow against the wall (where it has been propped up for about the last two months). Very lucky he spotted it, or it could have snuck in while we were sleeping and attacked us all!

So, he has proved invaluable as a 5kg protector of me and the household! Any other dogs which such useful skills? :shrug:

Edited by Saxonpup

What a wonderfully brave protector you have. Nothing worse than lurking wheelbarrows and as for vicious pot plants :p :shrug: . Go to the top of the class, Saxon.

In the past, I had a Female Maltese who was all of 2kg wringing wet and she used to bark and growl at the Harley Davidson which was occasionally parked on the footpath where we walked.

A bit off topic, but this has reminded me. A little further on in the same street, both dogs would occasionally put the brakes on, tails would go down and they would not go on. I had to pick them up to get them past this area. Nothing there that I could see, but obviously they sensed something that worried them.

What a wonderfully brave protector you have. Nothing worse than lurking wheelbarrows and as for vicious pot plants :o:rofl: . Go to the top of the class, Saxon.

In the past, I had a Female Maltese who was all of 2kg wringing wet and she used to bark and growl at the Harley Davidson which was occasionally parked on the footpath where we walked.

A bit off topic, but this has reminded me. A little further on in the same street, both dogs would occasionally put the brakes on, tails would go down and they would not go on. I had to pick them up to get them past this area. Nothing there that I could see, but obviously they sensed something that worried them.

:p :shrug: Brave little Malt girl! Lucky the Harley didn't "growl" back, that noise is loud enough to scare me!

I do think many dogs (and other animals) have very good senses about things... although I'm not sure I can totally rely on Saxon's judgements about what is and isn't a threat...

:shrug:

Leia has been known to defend us from the doggy calender on the wall before. :o And the secret black doggy who lives in the mirrors. :rofl:

As far as being real guard dogs though, both of mine showed potential the other day when my OH forgot his house keys and had to "break in". Both the dogs barked their heads off at him until they realised who it was. :p

On Bundy's first walk to the park, he protected me from the evil green plastic crocodile. Hackles up, he planted his paws and stood there snarling and growling at it. I collapsed into fits of laughter. Even now he won't walk past it :p I've given up trying and take him to another park!

He regularly protects me from the dogs on TV, who MUST run off the screen and end up outside our lounge window..

Edited by Bundy's Mum

They are such cute stories - and so reinforce why we have doggie friends in our lives. :rofl::eek:

My childhood dog... she would always hear the theme music from the afternoon soap opera, 'Passions'. They used to play the song at the beginning and the end of each show. Whenever she heard it, should would go mental!!! She would run up to the TV and bark at it until the song ended. :shrug: Then she would jump up on the couch, and proceed to watch it!!!! :p

After a while, she would start barking at the introduction to the show if they showed a particular character (the bit they show before the theme music kicks in). Needless to say we all used to dive for the remote control to mute the TV at the beginning and end of the show. She drove us insane! I think she was trying to protect us from the evil characters in the (stupid, very stupid) show. Mind you, she seemed to be fine while it was on!

The show has been off air for a few years now, but my sister downloaded the theme song and plays it occasionally to wind the dog up! And she still barks at it.... 5 years on! :o

They are such cute stories - and so reinforce why we have doggie friends in our lives. :o:rofl:

Lovely stories!

My cattledog/kelpie cross Emily guards me from a giraffe :p There's a big garden centre on the road in to my local town of Mittagong and they have a huge (life-size I reckon) giraffe tucked in the trees in full sight of the road - every time we go past it Em sits up and growls menacingly at it, just in case it has the nerve to try and jump into the car!

They also have some life-sized sheep statues, and a spotted pig which they put outside on the edge of the road as a bit of a joke, too - she doesn't like them either, so they all get a bit of a verbal spray from her on the way past!

She's a good girl, my Em - I always feel very safe with her in the car :shrug:

:p :shrug:

I took our youngest GSD went to visit my brother one night (he was about 14 weeks) while he was at work (security) so he was more familiar with different noises, equipment, surfaces etc.

The little guy was very brave and explored everything without any hesitation ... and then he heard a noise (a cricket or something) and growled menacingly and carried on big time. We were looking for what had set him off ... only to discover the object of his attention .... was a large rock in the garden.

Once we had convinced him the rock wasn't a serious danger ... he peed on it :o

Haha, I have a 7kg fluff of a guard dog. :p

When sleeping- no matter how deep asleep he is- if he hears something outside, he will sit up (and you see his ears twitch) and if it's something out of the ordinary he will go and investigate and bark for me.

They are such cute stories - and so reinforce why we have doggie friends in our lives. :eek: ;)

My childhood dog... she would always hear the theme music from the afternoon soap opera, 'Passions'. They used to play the song at the beginning and the end of each show. Whenever she heard it, should would go mental!!! She would run up to the TV and bark at it until the song ended. :shrug: Then she would jump up on the couch, and proceed to watch it!!!! :p

After a while, she would start barking at the introduction to the show if they showed a particular character (the bit they show before the theme music kicks in). Needless to say we all used to dive for the remote control to mute the TV at the beginning and end of the show. She drove us insane! I think she was trying to protect us from the evil characters in the (stupid, very stupid) show. Mind you, she seemed to be fine while it was on!

The show has been off air for a few years now, but my sister downloaded the theme song and plays it occasionally to wind the dog up! And she still barks at it.... 5 years on! :o

Not surprised she wanted to protect you from Timmy :rofl: He was freaky..

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I loved the way you told the story - it made me smile as I was reading it. The funniest thing one of mine ever did - was while watching the Simpsons - Homer put their dog - Santa's Little Helper outside the door - so my girl, Shelby - ran out of our back door to see where it went! It still cracks me up thinking about it now. Thanks for sharing.

They are such cute stories - and so reinforce why we have doggie friends in our lives. :D :cheer:

My childhood dog... she would always hear the theme music from the afternoon soap opera, 'Passions'. They used to play the song at the beginning and the end of each show. Whenever she heard it, should would go mental!!! She would run up to the TV and bark at it until the song ended. :laugh: Then she would jump up on the couch, and proceed to watch it!!!! :thumbsup:

The show has been off air for a few years now, but my sister downloaded the theme song and plays it occasionally to wind the dog up! And she still barks at it.... 5 years on! :rofl:

Not surprised she wanted to protect you from Timmy :mad He was freaky..

And Tabatha!!!! Those two together and she would go bazerk! :o

I loved the way you told the story - it made me smile as I was reading it. The funniest thing one of mine ever did - was while watching the Simpsons - Homer put their dog - Santa's Little Helper outside the door - so my girl, Shelby - ran out of our back door to see where it went! It still cracks me up thinking about it now. Thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup::laugh:

These stories are too funny! Dogs can be so clever, yet so dumb...

That is hilarious.

The same little female Maltese I had used to go rushing to the phone (pre mobile days) if a phone was ringing on the television.

Hehehe love it!

When my Bronx (the good dog...lol) was little and only 8weeks and a few days old i was sitting outside giving him a pee break in the front yard. I had invited my Mum over to meet him - well she came through the gate and the lil guy moved back towards the stairs where i was sitting, stopped in front of me and started growling and barking at Mum (he stopped when i called him tho) - at that point she fell for him as well :rofl: Couldn't help but tell him what a good boy he was :rofl:

Earl - 50 kg - 9 month old Bloodhound - wouldn't go near Tokkies son while he was sitting on the play equipment at the last DOL meet - not even when I went over there to reassure him that the nasty swings wouldn't hurt him - he stayed about 2 metres away and was really skittish - however - same person - in the area we all were in - he was very determined to go over and sniff and make friends with him

I'm assured that Moon is part Dobie; her family protection skills are, shall we say...unbelievable?

Prepare yourselves for a harrowing tale of danger, of mystery, and of bravery which comes from within.

One night I was preparing my child for slumber and had entered the bedroom of said child, when a rare and vicious Stuffed Ikea Snake {violent, violent beasts} that was napping in front of the doorway wrapped itself around my ankles and forcefully threw me to the floor.

I knelt and clawed my way up the side of the bed, being knocked almost to sleep by the guard rail's pin failing and falling onto my face with an audible "thud".

There I struggled in the dark, cursing as I sought to extract myself from the clutches of the bloodthirsty reptile.

Lo, I had all but given up hope when across the doorway loomed the shadow of my trusted companion Moon, defender of the weak, champion of the crippled, killer of snakes. Mottled warrior that she is, she studied the scene before her and leapt into action.

Thankfully she noticed that my pj pants were inhibiting my movement, and sought to remove them from the ends of the legs. Sadly, in the struggle my big-momma panties were revealed and these were also in danger of strangling my nethers, so she removed these as well, leaving both hanging in torn ribbons from my be-drooled flanks.

As I struggled to my knees, in my panic swatting at my guard dog and cursing ever louder, she obviously noticed the killer reptile wrapped around my legs, so she used my back as a springboard to leap onto the bed, and sought to addle the...err...adder...as she leapt to and from the bed, using my back as a ramp.

When she leapt onto the bed the last time, she prepared herself for her last spring onto the floor, so I took her collar in hand and used it to haul myself upright. Would you believe such a brave defender of hearth and home would also offer herself as a service dog? You heard it here first, DOLers.

Yelping loudly, to announce to the snake that she'd had enough of it's shenanignans and this was it's last chance to release her mistress, Moon backpedalled off the bed and dragged me upright. I knew she had little chance to survive the snake's last attack, so I rushed for the doorway to call for help.

Moon, helpful protector that she is, saw me lagging and thinking I was in trouble of a second attack that may end my life thanks to my bumbling stupidity, rushed forward to assist me out the door, accidently lunging past me and knocking me sideways against the doorframe, giving me a bruise that covered my face like a Saint Bernard's eye patch for a week, and sending me spinning back onto the floor, where the vicious snake softened my landing.

Can you believe it, but the poor, brave defender of her family was not showered with kisses and steak, but instead was thrust out into the dark, muddy backyard with a resounding "And don't come back until you've grown a ****ing brain, you dumb ****!"

For Sale:

Idiot merle female, 3 years old, no papers, desexed. Big, stupid. Does not come with accessories as the dumb piece of **** doesn't deserve to be fed, walked or brushed.

Any reasonable offer considered