3 Day Old Pup "rattley"

MYSQL

I had one similar in my last litter. She was 'gurgly and rattely', when feeding. She also would sometimes have milk come out of her nose while feeding. I thought it was a cleft palate, but it wasn't. She was just a guts and I think drank a bit too fast. By the time she was about 2 weeks old she was fine.

I would do what others have suggested though with physio/AB/vet check etc if needed etc, but it may not be anything serious. Hope all works out with your pup.

Thanks for all the advice, the pups were born 2 days after their due date so not premmie :mad had a look with my mini mag light & definately cant see any cleft at all, he has no rattle when he isn't feeding ( I've used a stethascope) and I've been watching him feed all day it seems its only when he's not fed for awhile ie: 1hr. if he has smaller feeds he seems to not do it at all.

If the AB's & physio haven't completely stopped it by tomorrow Im taking him in for a full check at the vets, better to be over cautious,in all other respects he's strong & active.

Sounds like normal 'Blow back" hdr but best to get it checked.

This happens alot to gutsy puppies. We have a tube available to suck the excess milk up that does go through to the nose so it doesnt end up going down the wrong way. We suction our babies after each drink from the milk bar. Happens alot in Bulldogs.

Another thing to do is express milk out of the teat before hand(only if she has a good supply or get another pup to feed first off the teat and then let the big bubs take what is left. This way the pup is not getting the fast let down of milk in such a rush.

Edited by stonebridge

I had a pups in my last litter like this. My had lots of milk and babies stacked on the weight from day 1. The pups where fine when not feeding but would be rattly and have milk come out of the nose. By day 5 mums milk had settled down (not producing quite so much) and the pups settled down. I found with the really gutsy ones I would put on the top teats that had less milk and this helped as well.

Wishing you all the best.

Leanne

Thanks guys, I've actually done exactly as Ozstar suggested & put him on the front teat & no rattling at all :rofl: fingers crossed thats all it is & stopping him guts will sort it out, I will keep up the AB's & physio as well just to be safe.

Certainy sounds like a gutsy / piggy puppy. We get them often in the Rotts, they sound rattley and snuffly when suckling (sometimes having a bit of milk coming out of their nose) but they aren't noisy at any other time. As suggested put him on the front teats they are less likely to get to much milk at once.

The puppy is a litle brusier! Look forward to seeing him when a little older. :laugh: