What Do You Think Of This Pic

I happened to be hanging out of a car during a cycling race on the weekend and found this shot in the mix when going through them.

I'll be honest and say it a terrible attempt at a panning shot :laugh:

Its nothing like I was trying to achieve and I'm sure some will think its just a very badly focused pic (which really is true) but I'll admit I actually like it.

I'm interested to hear other opinions. Be honest please, Im a tough cookie!

4811377355_0fcc0864bc_z.jpg

I happened to be hanging out of a car during a cycling race on the weekend and found this shot in the mix when going through them.

Its nothing like I was trying to achieve and I'm sure some will think its just a very badly focused pic (which really is true) but I'll admit I actually like it.

Hey I like it :laugh:

Hey I like it :laugh:

I think its great too and a good composition. colours are crisp and it depicts the movement well.

I like the shot, but my eyes don't ;)

It's similar to a shot I took the other day and I kept looking at it and thinking yea its ok, then no it's crap :rofl:

DSC_0147-4.jpg

In this shot and your Bec, I like the movement and you can clearly tell what the subjects are. I guess for me they would be better if the subjects were a little more focused.

Yeah I see what you mean.

This is another I took on the day that I love. These 2 were sprinting for the finish line and the crowd was going nuts.

I like that they are in focus but still with the blur of their wheels to show movement.

4811399519_9d94b7d7cf.jpg

good panning is an art and takes an awful lot of practice, would ideally like the cyclists in more sharpness with the background blurred, but not that bad I would discard

Yes a terrible job at pannning but for some reason I like it for what it is. Whatever that is :laugh:

I have had a couple I have been happy with but am so hit and miss. (would have edited differently now.These are old pics)

4124242652_d6f40be0c8.jpg

3903581286_612d3649aa.jpg

Edited by becandcharch

Cyclist is nice and sharp.

I had one go at panning just over 2 years ago. I didn't know much about taking photos then but I was happy enough with the result. I used a DOLer and her lovely dobe as a model. :laugh: Experiment with shutter speeds and see what you come up with and like. I would like to have another go at it one day now I know a bit more about photography, but at the time I was happy with these.

mainly because of the eye contact of my model :laugh: who was looking at her dobe in this one. Pity about the ugly cyclone fence in the background but at a dog show you can't be lucky with backgrounds.

4823247070_1f8243e50c_b.jpg

4823247036_acdefa3b58_b.jpg

Warning: This may hurt eyes as well. I took some sharp shots of these seabirds and then slowed down the shutter speed as there were birdies coming from everywhere and I wanted to try for an impressionist look. Taken off the back of a boat out on the open ocean. These are shearwaters (boat captain was chumming the water)

4822643533_118008aee9_b.jpg

Edited by Ripley