Another What Breed Thread

kiesha09

My friend and her partner are looking to add a puppy to their household in the coming year and have asked me for their advice about what breed they should get. I honestly don't know what to recommend for them so said I would ask here. The scenario is:

They live in a house with a small/medium sized yard (think courtyard home). It is just the two of them and they are 27 and 28 years of age. They both work full time and are looking forward to bringing up a puppy and taking it to puppy school and obedience. One of them is from the country and has grown up with animals all his life and had Border Collies and Kelpies as pets.

The requirements of the dog they would like as put to me:

- Temperament like a Border Collie where they are very human/owner orientated

- Happy to be exercised for between 1/2 hour to hour a day

- Smart and easily trainable

- A breed that is more than likely going to enjoy playing ball and frisbee

- Doesn't exessively moult

- Medium sized

- Will happily be at home during the day whilst they're at work

They were very honest in saying really they would like 'a Border Collie without the exercise requirements and the need to continual mental stimulation.' They are quite dog savvy people and realise they cannot provide everything a BC would need but its the kind of dog they like. So can anyone think of something else that would suit?

Edited by kiesha09

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They sound like they are in a similar situation to myself and OH. We have a Cavalier King Charles and she fits beautifully with us. She loves her walks on the days she gets them, but not the end of the world if we miss a day. Has been easy enough to train and is VERY people orientated. We leave her at home for about 6 hours a day on average (some days are longer), and she is fine. She loves to snuggle up on the couch with me at the end of the day! Also, great breed to have with kids if that is on the horizon for them. I guess she might be a bit smaller than a medium dog though. And she does need a brush once a week or so. But she loves to chase after a ball!!! :confused:

I had considered both these and are going to mention them but my initial thoughts are that the blokey country guy may not be convinced of the poodle :laugh: and the Cavalier King Charles may be a bit on the small side.

But thankyou for your suggestions so far!

My husband wanted 'a real dog' as he put it (as in a big one!! Not a 'fluffy' one like I wanted), but once I bombarded him with all the research on why the breed was good for us, including the size of the house, living arrangements, potential kids etc. he changed his tune. Now the way he carries on anyone would think it was all his idea!! AND, doesn't want her to grow any bigger as he likes that he can scoop her up!!! :laugh: Whatever they go with, they need to address all these things... otherwise they could end up with a dog that drives them crazy, because it didn't fit to begin with.

What about a beagle or a jack russell? They were other potentials for us... ruled out because of our need for it to be toddler friendly (not so great for the JR) and we ruled the beagle out because our courtyard isn't big enough. They need more roaming space than we could give.

a lab is rather large...

Also, not really suited to a courtyard.

and they moult rather a lot as well....

I think an aussie shep with the right temperament may fit. We had an aussie in a very similar situation, the only thing is I would saythey need a MINIMUM of 1 hr exercise per day, preferbaly at least 2hrs consiting of a morning and evening outing off lead playing catch or with other dogs etc.

While most dogs would prefer human company, our aussie was ok to be left from 9-4 while. We had a dog walker come in the middle of the day though. You would have to ask the breeder about one with a more laid back temperament as I know some of them can be very energetic!

Also, surprised the greyhound people have not suggested a grey...

not sure if they like playing ball or frisbee but I am sure they could be trained.

I've seen greys do agility etc.

Just thought that for educational purposes I should illustrate why a Chessie would not suit

The requirements of the dog they would like as put to me:

- Temperament like a Border Collie where they are very human/owner orientated Chessies are owner oridentated but can be standoffish/protective with strangers depending on temprament

- Happy to be exercised for between 1/2 hour to hour a day All the Chessies we have here in Aus are dual purpose and would need AT LEAST 1 hour a day

- Smart and easily trainable Chessies are smart and easily trainable but they are not as easy to train as a Border Collie and will only obey you if you are firm with them and thier training

- A breed that is more than likely going to enjoy playing ball and frisbee Chessies do have a retrieving instinct but will not fetch balls continously, repatitavely like a herding breed

- Doesn't exessively moult Chessies barely moult and only need brushing once a week max so this would be fine

- Medium sized Chessies are large dogs, my boy is 8 months weighs over 30kilos and is about 65cms at the shoulder

- Will happily be at home during the day whilst they're at work Have never tried this because there is always another dog/person around at home with him

not sure if they like playing ball or frisbee but I am sure they could be trained.

Perhaps because from a temperament perspective, not even an avid Grey fan would say they are at all like a Border Collie.

a lab is rather large...

Also, not really suited to a courtyard.

and they moult rather a lot as well....

I think an aussie shep with the right temperament may fit. We had an aussie in a very similar situation, the only thing is I would saythey need a MINIMUM of 1 hr exercise per day, preferbaly at least 2hrs consiting of a morning and evening outing off lead playing catch or with other dogs etc.

While most dogs would prefer human company, our aussie was ok to be left from 9-4 while. We had a dog walker come in the middle of the day though. You would have to ask the breeder about one with a more laid back temperament as I know some of them can be very energetic!

Some greyhounds are very people focussed and a greyhound would be happy with their lifestyle. They don't moult much and would be quite at home alone in a courtyard. But they are not really switched on like a border collie or very quick to train.

If their biggest priority is to have a dog that is very 'trainable' and very 'people focussed' like a border collie, I would suggest a mini poodle, smooth collie or a cavalier.

If their biggest priority is to have a quiet, clean dog that will be satisfied by that small amount of exercise and company, then a greyhound will suit them well.

They do need to think carefully, because the more 'people focussed' a dog is, the less likely it will be satisfied with being alone all day. And a small yard means close neighbours, so a bored, barking dog wouldn't be very good at all.

what about a lakeland terrier? though I'm not sure it would take kindly to being home alone, perhaps get two! :laugh:

They are not big or small, they are 'just right'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeland_Terrier

There is no way the ones I have met would fit this family at all. A terrier's temp is nothing like a working dog's, nor should it be. I love both groups (obviously) but they are very different. If they like BCs I would not suggest a terrier.

Others have suggested an Aussie Shepherd. Aussies can be heavier than your average BC and just as full on depending on the dog. I would be aiming for at least an hour of excercise a day and plenty of mental stimulation if leaning towards Aussies. It would be about finding the right dog. They drop coat something shocking when coming into season or doing their yearly drop but desexing does decrease this a bit.

i would have to agree with the poodle either min or standard? and you can cut their hair any which way they dont have to look "girly" you should see the cut i just gave my boy he looks like a mini airdale terrier lol also the cav and the laggotto but dont know as much bout these two.

I have got an Australian Shepherd here that fits that criteria perfectly.

-Temperament like a Border Collie where they are very human/owner orientated

She is very, very bonded to me. She will walk over hot coals to be with me and will ignore just about everything else if I am with her.

- Happy to be exercised for between 1/2 hour to hour a day

Isn't too fussed about exercise as long as she's with me. But loves a walk, loves a run, loves a swim.

- Smart and easily trainable

Goes with the breed. Smart breed, very trainable.

- A breed that is more than likely going to enjoy playing ball and frisbee

This is the one thing she loves more than me. The frisbee. I have to keep it locked away until it's time to play or she would obsess over it. But she has SO much fun chasing and catching it. Could care less about a ball though.

- Doesn't exessively moult

She's entire so twice yearly she does a fairly impressive coat drop, but this would be minimised with neutering. MY male neuter hardly sheds at all and in fact I have to strip his coat regularly to get rid of the dead hair.

- Medium sized

Yep. Around 22-25 kgs.

- Will happily be at home during the day whilst they're at work

She never has been but I expect if she'd been alone from puppyhood she'd be fine. She's always had other dogs for company.

My boy also fits the bill, but he's a bit bigger at around 30 kgs and is happy to share the love around, although he's decided my husband is way cooler than me. He is also a very, very easy dog to live with. Not as obsessed with the frisbee but will catch one and bring it back, then bark for you to throw it again.

He loves to run by a bike and has his endurance title as proof of that.

Neither dog is reactive to other dogs and tend to get along with pretty much all creatures including our cats.