How Often Would You Communicate With People On Your Waiting List?

kim777

Do you always wait for people on the list to check in or do you call to say when you think a litter is ready / you have a pup available for them?

We have been on a waiting list for quite some time and have paid a non refundable deposit. We call to check in every now and then but feel like I might be hassling the breeder? We were orginally told to expect a pup in April and since then were told to expect a pup from either of the next two litters (which have since been whelped), there has been some complications which of course we can understand but we just don't seem to get much contact with the breeder unless we call to ask what is happening? We are really excited about having a new family member but its quite a let down to be expecting a pup from the next litter and then be let down each time :thumbsup:

I would not take a deposit that is not refundable or before pups are even born & would not pay one but you have already done it now.

How long you wait for a pup is up to the breeder completely now. It may be that things have gone wrong, sometimes a mating does not take & the dog is not pregnant, there may be a problem with pups or other people get a pup before you.

Who knows ? Its not hassling to ask the breeder to inform you when a litter is due & ask them to inform you when to reasonably expect a puppy. You now have a choice of waiting or lose your deposit & go elsewhere however you can ask if you may have your deposit back as you did not get a puppy when expected.

You may be lucky. Not wise to do this again.

I would not take a deposit that is not refundable or before pups are even born & would not pay one but you have already done it now.

How long you wait for a pup is up to the breeder completely now. It may be that things have gone wrong, sometimes a mating does not take & the dog is not pregnant, there may be a problem with pups or other people get a pup before you.

Who knows ? Its not hassling to ask the breeder to inform you when a litter is due & ask them to inform you when to reasonably expect a puppy. You now have a choice of waiting or lose your deposit & go elsewhere however you can ask if you may have your deposit back as you did not get a puppy when expected.

You may be lucky. Not wise to do this again.

Agree with this. I can't believe that anyone pays a deposit for a puppy that hasn't even been born yet, let alone a non refundable one. Very unethical for a breeder to ask for this IMO. Things can and do go wrong with breeding and it is possible for a breeder to not have anything available for a couple of years. Hassle this breeder as much as you like. It is not normal practice to take non-refundable deposits let alone not offer the deposit back if the litter doesn't eventuate.

Personally, I would try to get the deposit back and find another breeder.

thanks for your thoughts. I guess its not so much the fact that we haven't gotton a puppy yet - we knew we'd probably be in for a wait. I just assumed we'd get more communication than what we've been recieving? Was just wondering if that part was normal or not

Given you have paid money i would expect more contact & more info regarding where you stand

If you hadn.t paid any money & your name was on a list then contact would be whensomething suitable arrives.

We never do deposits.

What does you receipt say regarding your deposit??

How many other people have also paid a deposit??

It could be a case of too many deposits & not enough pups but either way you deserve an up date on something you have paid for

So 3 litters have been born this year and you still don't have a puppy? I'd be asking the breeder if you will definitly get a pup from one of the litters on the ground now or asking for the deposit back as you have waited long enough.

I don't feel that your breeder has been polite enough with you.

Perhaps pop her an email dating when she took your deposit and how long it's actually been, then ask her when she might have something for you as you were not planning on waiting so long. Or if she can't give you a date, then state that after Xmonths if a pup isn't promised to you, then you will look elsewhere and seek refund for your deposit. That way she may realise that you don't intend on waiting forever, and you can get deadline or ask for your deposit back.

There is no way I would ever ask for a deposit and non refundable at that from a prospective buyer.

Its creates too much hassle if they change thier mind and do not want the pup and want the money back.

In your case I would sending a lettter of demand for return of deposit as no pup has been forth coming.

No way should they ask for a deposit before pups are even born! you should ask for return of your deposit as breeders are being unethical keeping you waiting and putting you off, and very little contact to tell you where you stand regarding said puppy. Are they registered breeders on DOL? don't think there are many breeders on Dol that would take deposits for unborn pups and then have three litters without placing one with you, sounds a bit dodgy to me

In Tasmania, by TCA rules you aren't allowed to even take a deposit until you have a puppy available for a person.

It doesn't bother me though because I don't actually keep a "waiting list" per se. I have an expression of interest list. When I plan to do a breeding, I contact anybody whose number I have and find out if they are still interested. Then when a breeding is done, I start taking names and doing my weeding out. When I am sure a bitch is pregnant, I start liaising fortnightly with people to tell them what is going on. I notify them when the puppies are born and then once a litter is on the ground, I send out weekly "pupdates" to those still waiting or those who have been added to the list.

At all times, people are clear that I choose first and that they will be advised as early as possible if there will not be a puppy for them for any reason. This is more pertinent in the case of a smaller litter where somebody always seems to have to (unfortunately) miss out.

On the rare occasions that I do take a deposit, it will be because I am keeping a puppy or puppies for a longer period for a person/people and to reassure them that their puppy is still available for them, (and to also cover me in case they decide to back out and I need to advertise or whatever) and it is only ever a negligible amount anyway.

I don't feel that your breeder has been polite enough with you.

Perhaps pop her an email dating when she took your deposit and how long it's actually been, then ask her when she might have something for you as you were not planning on waiting so long. Or if she can't give you a date, then state that after Xmonths if a pup isn't promised to you, then you will look elsewhere and seek refund for your deposit. That way she may realise that you don't intend on waiting forever, and you can get deadline or ask for your deposit back.

I had sent an email just asking her to let me know asap what was happening so I could make arrangements and never heard back. I ended up phoning today to ask when I would be expecting a pup and I still have a bit to wait. Yes the breeder is listed on DOL and I am comfortable with their ethics and the dogs they breed so I guess I will just sit tight and keep my fingers crossed for the next litter due. The wait is killing me but I guess it'll be worth it! I guess she just doesn't keep up to date with all the people on her list and waits for them to contact her.

]=o=[ou=o]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Glad to hear everything is legit and above board! She is still in the wrong in my opinion and should not be holding a deposit, sounds like she is also having quite a few litters.

unfortunately for her she had been expecting some large litters but quite at least a 1/3 less of the size she was hoping for. The latest litter they unfortunately lost two as well :)

Did you ask how many there are ahead of you waiting for pups? Have you been assured you will definitly get a pup from the next litter?

Are you waiting for a particular colour/sex combo or just a pup? I certainly wouldn't be waiting for a breeder to produce so many litters without wanting something very specific from them.

Kim, what breed are you looking for?

I'm sure some DOL forum members here would be more then happy to point you in the direction of a breeder they recommend. You might find that loosing that deposit is much cheaper then loosing out on getting a great pup somewhere else and winding up with just a pup from one of many short spaced litters. You've said too that her litters have been smaller then she'd hoped for and that she's lost some. To me it sounds like A) something maybe wrong with the health of the bitches, and B) the breeder may be mass producing.

Becks I am after a male. I won't mention the breed as there are very few breeders in Aus and it wouldn't take a genius to work out who I'm talking about. Parkeyre the reason I've chosen this breeder is because she foundered the breed in Aus and is working hard to improve the health of the breed here, her dogs seem to have on average at least 3-4 yrs more of a life span than others of that breed who generally have alot of health problems. She imports dogs with lines proven for soundness so I'm keen to stay with her :laugh: Really the way I see it it might be another 6 mths to wait but in the long run we'll have the pup for more years than probably a pup from another breeder. (thats not to say there wouldn't be other breeders running their program the same way, shes just the only one who's pups I've met and are happy with)