Vaccination

Why don't you see what your vet recommends?

If you are in a high parvo incidence area, then I would say yearly might be beneficial.

The official AVA recommendation is now every 3 years for the C3 vaccination :confused:

You will need to get yearly kennel cough vaccines though if you want kennel cough cover (doesn't cover all strains of KC though) or your dog boards at a commercial facility.

A related query... We adopted our dog about a month ago, and we were told he had been vaccinated in the past, but they were sure of when this was.

How soon would you vaccinate, if you weren't sure of the last time he had one? I was thinking we would do it in about 5-6 months, (highest chance of it being only a little late or a little early), is this the best way to go?

Why not just ask your vet?

Vets are still very likely to recommend yearly vaccination - the AVA has not publicised the change in protocol in mainstream press (for reasons known only to themselves, but rumoured to be because of sponsorship deals!).

My own opinion is do some research. There's so much information available out there and you can make up your own mind of the way you want to go.

Google "vaccination +dogs" - you should get zillions of hits.

Then try "caberfeid deerhounds".

Sonia

My boys are due for their vaccination in a week or 2. Should they be receiving them annually or every 3 years? I have had them for 2 years so they have had 2 rounds as far as we know :laugh:

Vic Dogs website now has published the AVA recommendations of every 3-4 years for the C3 injection (havent checked the other state bodies but would assume that would have followed the same) - this has become the standard recommendation, which means that any associated clubs should be accepting this instead of insisting on the annual vaccination.

My boys are due for their vaccination in a week or 2. Should they be receiving them annually or every 3 years? I have had them for 2 years so they have had 2 rounds as far as we know :laugh:

I'm in northern vic and my vet recommends yearly vacs as he said they see a lot of parvo up here, but he said it's entirely up to me but said u dont see a lot of parvo in the melb suburbs so the 3 year would be ok.

I'm in northern vic and my vet recommends yearly vacs as he said they see a lot of parvo up here, but he said it's entirely up to me but said u dont see a lot of parvo in the melb suburbs so the 3 year would be ok.

Studies have repeatedly shown that the vast majority of dogs still have an acceptable antibody titre in their blood at 3 years post vaccine (i.e., they're still as immune as they can possibly be), hence the AVA's position. So the prevalence of parvo in the population doesn't really come into it. :laugh:

My dogs' vet recommended the 3 yearly and said this is what he did with his dogs.

The "3 yearly", or the "12 monthly once every 3 years" ?

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this one also.

My pup had his last vacc in Dec "09 (Protech C4). The vet has the marked next treatment for Dec this year. So (as per AVA guidelines) does this mean he can go without for another 2 years, or is the type of vacc for a 3 yearly treatment different?

Edited by wotan

My dogs' vet recommended the 3 yearly and said this is what he did with his dogs.

I think that's where a lot of people seem to get confused :laugh:

I personally have opted for the 12 monthly but given every 3 years.

My vet recommended the "3 yearly" vaccine.

I was concerned about it and asked if it was stronger than the normal yearly one and he told me it was.

I trust this particular vet and went ahead with it, but have struggled to find any information about it :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any links or information for it?

ETA: He did inform me that they both got the "3 yearly" vaccine at 12 weeks, and explained this was why they didn't need a third vaccination at 16 weeks.

Edited by raffikki

My vet recommended the "3 yearly" vaccine.

I was concerned about it and asked if it was stronger than the normal yearly one and he told me it was.

I trust this particular vet and went ahead with it, but have struggled to find any information about it :happydance2:

Does anyone have any links or information for it?

ETA: He did inform me that they both got the "3 yearly" vaccine at 12 weeks, and explained this was why they didn't need a third vaccination at 16 weeks.

What I know of it is only what I've read here - not only from the opinions of others whose knowledge base I respect but some links as well, if I remember correctly. As far as I'm concerned, if the yearly vaccination provides the dog with immunity and immunity is proven to last for at least the 3 year period (I'm of the opinion that it is far longer, but that's beside the point), then there's no reason IMO to administer a stronger drug than usual. I just don't get the thinking by some of these Vets - there doesn't seem to be any logic to it as far as health benefits for the dogs concerned (quite the opposite) and I hate to say that the only reason for it that I can think of is based in their greed for $$$. BIGGER (albeit unnecessary) injection, higher price?

And the 3 yearly 'Super' vaccine (:happydance2:) for a puppy? Anyone else think this is very wrong? :happydance2:

If the pup is vaccinated at the correct time frames, 2 vaccinations (normal ones) are all that is needed to effect immunity. My boy received his 2 puppy vaccines and I had him titre tested when he was 15 months old (should have done it earlier to ensure he had immunity, but hey .... we live and learn). His immunity levels were (a) sufficient enough to not warrant a booster and (b) evidence that he has immunity and therefore I do not intend to vaccinate him again.

Edited by Erny

What I know of it is only what I've read here - not only from the opinions of others whose knowledge base I respect but some links as well, if I remember correctly. As far as I'm concerned, if the yearly vaccination provides the dog with immunity and immunity is proven to last for at least the 3 year period (I'm of the opinion that it is far longer, but that's beside the point), then there's no reason IMO to administer a stronger drug than usual. I just don't get the thinking by some of these Vets - there doesn't seem to be any logic to it as far as health benefits for the dogs concerned (quite the opposite) and I hate to say that the only reason for it that I can think of is based in their greed for $$$. BIGGER (albeit unnecessary) injection, higher price?

The Nobivac 3yr Vaccine is the only vaccine that is registered as able to sign off on for 3yrs. To sign off on the others for 3 yrs is off label use.

We are using Nobivac 3yr and it is only a couple of dollars dearer than the normal vaccs so it definitely is not a money spinner for us.

The Nobivac 3yr Vaccine is the only vaccine that is registered as able to sign off on for 3yrs. To sign off on the others for 3 yrs is off label use.

We are using Nobivac 3yr and it is only a couple of dollars dearer than the normal vaccs so it definitely is not a money spinner for us.

Fair enough, Crisovar - I forgot about the "off label" use.

But do Vets inform clients about this bureaucratic 'bind' they are in, and then let the dog's owners make educated choices, "label" aside?

ETA: What are your thoughts on the "Nobivac 3yr" for a puppy?

Edited by Erny

And the 3 yearly 'Super' vaccine ( :laugh: ) for a puppy? Anyone else think this is very wrong? :o

I wasn't told at the time, as in when they were 12 weeks old, but it was a different vet(at the same practice) we saw back then.

If I had been informed or given a choice on such young pups I definitely would have chosen the normal vaccine!

Flye- you could get him titre tested to determine if he needs vaccination. It is quite expensive though.

How old is he?

He's four years old. Thanks for the idea, I will read up on titre testing and see if it would be practical for us.

Why not just ask your vet?

Of course I will :( But I'd rather be educated before going to see them. This is my first dog that I've owned by myself.

Edited by Flye