British Bulldog Vomitting

turf

my british bulldog has always vomitted up small amounts of food, now he is vomitting most of his undigested dinner. have been to vet who suggest we mash his food and try feeding him smll amounts regularly. We were going to try this for 1 week and see what happens, we think we should put him on some sort of vitamin and perhaps a bulking up (like body builders) supplement. He is very happy, runs around and in no way appears sick, other then weight loss. What should we do?

I know this sounds yuck but does he attempt to re eat what he has thrown up ? is he a food hoover ?

There are bowls that will make him slow down when he eats , or try large meaty bones if he is fed raw and frozen smaller stuff , but it sounds like the valve at the top of the gut needs to be examined if he is not a piggy eater

I know this sounds yuck but does he attempt to re eat what he has thrown up ? is he a food hoover ?

There are bowls that will make him slow down when he eats , or try large meaty bones if he is fed raw and frozen smaller stuff , but it sounds like the valve at the top of the gut needs to be examined if he is not a piggy eater

Yes he certainly does eat what he throws up. He is a food hoover. he also vomitts up mucus and re eats that and also what looks like clear liquid.

It might be worth trying to slow him down a bit then , slow feeder feeding bowls work for dry food , raw food is a little harder , we slow our rottie down by serving her large pieces as well as freezing some of it , a big frozen lump takes longer , some people drop a brick or paver in the middle of the dinner dish as this also forces them to slow down , other idea would be to feed 2 or three small meals to take the edge off the guts

It might be worth trying to slow him down a bit then , slow feeder feeding bowls work for dry food , raw food is a little harder , we slow our rottie down by serving her large pieces as well as freezing some of it , a big frozen lump takes longer , some people drop a brick or paver in the middle of the dinner dish as this also forces them to slow down , other idea would be to feed 2 or three small meals to take the edge off the guts

Thanks, we are trying the 3 small meals a day and that seems to lessen the amount brought back, but i cn't understand why it has suddenly become worse and do you think we should give him vitamins?

Slow feeder bowls or just add tennis balls.

Do you stand by & watch him eat or walk away??

You could also raise the food bowl so he has to reach up instead of chasing the bowl.we find this works well for piggy eaters.

I wouldn't add anything to the food .

What are you feeding??

Has he always throwm up or is something new??

Slow feeder bowls or just add tennis balls.

Do you stand by & watch him eat or walk away??

You could also raise the food bowl so he has to reach up instead of chasing the bowl.we find this works well for piggy eaters.

I wouldn't add anything to the food .

What are you feeding??

Has he always throwm up or is something new??

We walk away (but not very far away), he eats raw pure beef, he has always vomitted but never to this extent and this amount. He was playing with my grandson and his football and in the space of 5 minutes had vomitted 3 times.

pure beef is not a complete diet for a dog. If you want to feed a raw diet then do a search here on the forum for BARF (bone and raw food) or give him a good large breed kibble like royal canin, eagle pack etc as a meal or two.

If he's running about up to an hour after he will vomit. Squished face breeds end up hoofing in a lot of air as they eat and hence tend to burp and vomit. Feed him, lock him up or keep him quiet for about an hour after the meal and see how he goes then, I would still say a couple of meals a day at least for this dog.

pure beef is not a complete diet for a dog. If you want to feed a raw diet then do a search here on the forum for BARF (bone and raw food) or give him a good large breed kibble like royal canin, eagle pack etc as a meal or two.

If he's running about up to an hour after he will vomit. Squished face breeds end up hoofing in a lot of air as they eat and hence tend to burp and vomit. Feed him, lock him up or keep him quiet for about an hour after the meal and see how he goes then, I would still say a couple of meals a day at least for this dog.

The vet has told us not to give him biscuits, we have always given then either eagle pack or advance until they changed the formula just recently. When the biscuits come back they are still whole. He will vomit even after he has just finished eating.

have you tried soaking them for him? If he's not digesting then he needs to have this problem looked at, there is something wrong. He could have a partial blockage of the intestines, a problem with his esophagus (food pipe ;)) if he keeps vomiting or is losing weight. I would find an experienced vet for a second opinion and at the minimum an x-ray or ultrasound. This sounds more then just excited eating if he's not keeping food down at all.

my british bulldog has always vomitted up small amounts of food, now he is vomitting most of his undigested dinner. have been to vet who suggest we mash his food and try feeding him smll amounts regularly. We were going to try this for 1 week and see what happens, we think we should put him on some sort of vitamin and perhaps a bulking up (like body builders) supplement. He is very happy, runs around and in no way appears sick, other then weight loss. What should we do?

Have you tried Slippery Elm bark? It settles stomach upsets like vomiting and constipation and is completely natural.

I agree- raw beef alone is awfully inadequate- and if he hoovers it easily , it needs to be fed to him in a way he takes time over.

If you want to feed raw- to get all his vitamins etc, you need to be feeding bones/meat/offal/and a few veges . There is lots of info

here - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4691752 on raw feeding ;)

Have you tried Slippery Elm bark? It settles stomach upsets like vomiting and constipation and is completely natural.

Will try that. Thanks

Turf- slippery elm is great for diarrhoea and tummy upsets- however I don't think it will help if your dog does have a 'mechanical' cause for the vomiting - like a stomach valve or oesophageal problem ;)

The best way to give a dog his vitamins/minerals is a balanced diet - just like humans :p What advice does his breeder give? have you spoken to them? They will know of his family and will possibly know the whys &wherefores .

I will also suggest trying another vet if there is no immediate improvement with smaller meals etc. - just in case the first one has missed something ....

Hi turf, you might want to go to a good Vet who has had alot of experience with the bulldog breed & have your boy checked for elongated soft palette. You will find this is a very common occurance in the Bulldog breed & that he may vomit a number of times before he can digest his food. This may not be the case but I would be getting it checked to definately eliminate.

I wouldn't be giving him any type of (body builder) supplements but maybe place him on a diet a bit higher in fat or put him on adult dog food. You don't want to give a bulldog to much protein at a young age as it can cause problems with the development of there bones, hips & knees.

Make sure you find a vet that is highly experienced with the bulldog breed.

Good Luck.

A vitamin or bulking up supplement will do nothing to help with your BB bringing back his food.

He MAY have a soft palate problem in which case it will probably ony get worse rather than better. Depending on the sevrity of the elongation

Biscuits are a complete diet if you choose to feed this. A reputable brand is more than adequate. Also give minced chicken, cottage cheese, yoghurt, sardines.

In 30 years of owning Bulldogs we have never given our dogs bones, ever.

I know of people who have done and have lost them to choking on them.

A good nyabone chewbie will assist with keeping teeth clean and I also do NOT recommend pigs ears or rawhide knotted bones.

Feeding meals often and with no exercise at least an hour before a meal and certainly no exercise within two hours after a meal to allow the dog to digest his meal.

I do suggest soaking his biscuits with hot water and leaving for a little while before feeding. Dont totally submerge them but mix them around in the small amount of water.

Dogs make saliva when eating to help with the digestive process. Bulldogs tend to make more than normal. The drier the food the more saliva is made as the dog is eating. Soaking the biscuits for a little while will help with less saliva production.

This may also be a cause of him bringing back his food.

How old is your dog???

Is he still teething or is he an older puppy?have you talked to the breeder to see what they say?