Mouldy Sandwhich = Very Very Sick Pug

My parents pug (whom I grew up with and just finished babysitting whilst they were overseas) has been in ICU at Sydney uni vet since Tuesday after eating a moldy (3 week+ old) sandwich (including the bag).

She started having tremors/seizures approximately 2 hrs after eating the sandwich and was raced to the vet (normal vet) by my sister who luckily wasn't back at uni yet. She had her stomach 'pumped', was placed on an IV and had anti-seizure meds + Valium. Was still seizing well into Tuesday night. Was transferred to Sydney Uni vet on Tuesday evening as required constant night care. During the night she vomited into her incubation tube which resulted in her getting bile/acid in her lungs. She now has aspiration pneumonia.

We were told on Tuesday night that it was unlikely she would survive and to prepare ourselves. ;)

Miraculously and due to the dedicated care of the vets and nurses at Sydney Uni she has turned around - she stopped seizing on Tuesday morning and although she has pneumonia it is only in one lung and this is serious but not as serious as the seizing. On Tuesday evening she seemed to be improving but had still not 'woken up' despite being off meds since 9 am Tuesday morning.

Today we got the fantastic news that she is awake, eating food (just like a pug) and even thinking about moving around. It's looking like she might even be allowed home this evening (we were thinking she might be in ICU for another 3-4 days). The pneumonia hasn't worsened and seems to be getting better! :rofl: Only worry is that she doesn't want to get up and walk around - but given she has a sore back/arthritis and is likely very stiff from lying in one place since Tuesday this isn't surprising to me - however she only goes home if the vet is satisfied that she is ready/mobile tonight.

I just wanted to share the story - if your dog eats a moldy sandwich take them to the vet - mold is EXTREMELY toxic and has neurotoxins (hence the seizing).

The whole family is very very glad that the beloved pug should make a full recovery - thanks largely to my younger sister whom raced Nu-Nu (the pug) to the vet when she started seizing and the actions of our vets at both Bondi Junction and Sydney Uni!

For a 12 year old pug to get through this is fantastic :( Just got the good news about 20 mins ago! We aren't out of the danger zone completely BUT its definitely an improvement from Tuesday!

A puppy I gave to my uncle died after managing to get to some mouldy bread that had been put away for the chooks.

He was very ill for several days before he finally passed it was a terrible learning curve for everyone.

Good news that this little one seems to be on the improve.

She seems to have developed ataxia (her bag legs are very wobbly and she is unable to walk properly) - we are unsure if this is because of being in the same position for 1-2 days and being old/arthritic, if she put her back out (which has played up before) or if this is a side effect. The vet seems hopeful that she will get better but at this point we are unsure.

Please think of Nu-Nu and hope she recovers full mobility etc.

Her pneumonia seemed much improved when my mother and sister and I visited her this afternoon. She was very very happy to see us!

A very good reminder - thankyou :grouphug:

Just got back from the emergency vets as Brembo was displaying signs of shock - pale gums, trembling, chattering teeth, cold ears and paws. He seemed to improve after about 30 minutes. They did bloods and feel he has eaten something mouldy - possibly a mouldy manderin from our fuit trees.

He has been sent home to moniter, if he gets any worse Im to return to emergency vets. Bloody dogs, theyll be the death of me!

:) :) :(

That is supposed to be flowers for sick poochie from Genevieve...

We are hoping for a full recovery for you.

Thank you very much for all the 'positive recovery thoughts' - she is coming home today!

Apparently the ataxia (wobbly legs) is better today - though not 100%. We are hopeful she will make a full recovery!

I hope Brembo suffers no ill effects from his yummy mould snack :p