Should I Report It And Who To?

shells

This morning I heard hysterical screaming and crying outside. I looked out my front window and saw the neighbours dog (Cav x) nipping at the ankles of someone on their morning walk. It was barking and growling and wouldnt leave this lady alone. It didnt actually bite her but was definitely aggressive. The lady was upset and I know her jumping and screaming made the dog worse but you can imagine it was quite scary for her.

I managed to distract it by bringing one of my dogs out who it was keen to meet. This dog never lets you pat it/near it, is "skittish" with other dogs and the neighbours seem to let it roam (I think it may escape out the front door and it has ZERO recall) so they just let it go.

We live near a park with lots of children walking by. My concern is that it could do it to one of them. It has rushed me in my driveway before but I am not scared by him so havent made a big deal about it but todays incident has made me rethink the whole situation.

The owners do love the dog - it is walked twice a day, treats, bathed, kept inside - they just seem to have no idea. I would hate for the dog to be PTS but would hate for a child (or anyone) be bitten.

I am in the ACT if anyone has an relevant advice.

Thanks

Is there the option of either writing a letter, or speaking to your neighbours? You said they do love their dog and provide it with walks etc, maybe they are just frustrated and have ''given up'' or are not aware of their options in regards to help with training/ behaviour. Maybe you could just kindly speak to them, point out that you know they love their dog and you are ''concerned, and don't want to see them lose their dog because the dog has bitten some one''.

I would probably want to speak to or contact the owners with my concerns before doing something drastic. Although I agree that the concern is definitely if it injures some one.

Good Luck

Yes, I think something needs to be done. If you feel that you would be comfortable to knock on their door and tell them - then do that. Otherwise definitely go to the council.

It is unacceptable for HA dog to be out on its own. People deserve to be safe when walking through their neighbourhood :cry:

good luck

Won't the lady who was rushed at report the dog if she was so afraid?

If not then yes, I would report it directly to the council considering that the dog is allowed to roam.

Alternatively, if you are on speaking terms with your neighbours, knock on their door, tell them what happened and that you are quite sure that the woman who was rushed/nipped at is reporting the incident to the council. Then advise the neighbours that it's best if they keep their dog indoors from now on as the dog catcher is now patrolling the area looking for it :cry:

It probably should be reported if it is a regular thing, but I agree that it would be best to talk to the owners first or even just drop an anonymous note in their mailbox.

They might want to solve the issue but just don't know how, or they might not even realise that it is a problem.

The owner was there trying to catch the dog too - just softly calling his name.. I have decided to stress to them (as I am on good terms with the woman) that he cant be out on his own whether her kids and husband listen (who are the main culprits for letting him out) is another thing. If I keep seeing him out then I will report the dog. I would feel partially responsible if someone was bitten. As it is another person up the road has been rushed by him in their driveway so we arent talking about isolated incidences more escalating incidences.

I didnt get a chance to talk to the lady who was attacked. As soon as she could she was out of there so dont know what she plans on doing. I know alot of people dont think to report these things.

The owner was there trying to catch the dog too - just softly calling his name.. I have decided to stress to them (as I am on good terms with the woman) that he cant be out on his own whether her kids and husband listen (who are the main culprits for letting him out) is another thing. If I keep seeing him out then I will report the dog. I would feel partially responsible if someone was bitten. As it is another person up the road has been rushed by him in their driveway so we arent talking about isolated incidences more escalating incidences.

I didnt get a chance to talk to the lady who was attacked. As soon as she could she was out of there so dont know what she plans on doing. I know alot of people dont think to report these things.

Let us know how you go, it's a good thing you are on good terms with the woman. Maybe discussing some training options with her, support her in finding a trainer/behaviourist, if she has internet access then maybe share some good websites with her which could help by giving her reading material, also a way to research trainer's/ behaviourists available.

Hi Shells.

Should it get worse DAS is who you report it to, you'll find their contact details via the TAMS website: TAMS - DAS.

Urgent ranger contact (if doggie is going off and you can't find the owners etc) is via Canberra Connect on 132281.

There are many levels of intervention, they do usually start at the lower end. This one could possibly be something that a formal warning might sort out (hopefully her husband would pay attention to that!).

I spoke with the wife yesterday afternoon. She felt awful about the lady as she was very distressed. I talked to her about getting a trainer to come to the house and help them out and she was interested. I also threw in the conversation that if the dog hurt anyone the dog would probably be PTS. Fastforward to today the dog was out by itself at one stage and then offleash with the kids at our local kids park.

The families first language isnt English so I think they are abit nervous/worried about using a trainer. The kids seem to have more control over the dog than the mother.

I am going to sleep on it. If things keep going this way I dont think it will be long until it is hit by a car - it is often out roaming.

I would advise the owners of the dog control policy in the ACT.

Dog exercise areas and Dogs prohibited areas

Where can I exercise my dog?

•In general, in public, dogs must always be walked on-lead;

•Dogs may only be exercised of-leash, under the control of a competent person, in designated dog exercise areas;

•Dogs must always be walked on-lead on cycle paths even if the cycle path is in a dog exercise area;

•Maps that show the location of dog exercise areas are available from Canberra Connect Shopfronts, ACT Libraries and Domestic Animal Services;

•Dogs must not be taken into dogs prohibited areas, however, dogs may be walked on lead, on cycle paths, through dogs prohibited areas.

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/live/pets/Dog_Policy

Although I doubt that would acheive anything as even after speaking to the lady, the very next day the dogs running loose again.

My personal opinion is that you should now report it to the local council.You've tried to do the right thing by talking to the lady first. If there is a language barrier, I'm sure council would be able to get the services of an interpreter.

It's no good wating until some one gets bitten.

Be interesting to know what the cross was. This not cav behaviour.

Definitely need firm training.

Definately not Cav behaviour I know. I was told it is a Cav x shitzu but if there is any shitzu in it I would run around the block naked LOL. He has Blenheim markings and a shortish snout but pointy ears, stands as tall as my mini poodles and has a short coat (no feathering).

He was a pet shop puppy so probably didnt have the best start to life. I do feel sorry for him and atleast he isnt abused but he cant go on running around the neighbourhood.