Indoor Dog Toilets

So our new rental house is mostly carpeted with cork tiles to the kitchen. I'd like to use something other than towels for Molly to toilet on during the day...towels work well on hard floors but not so well on cork tiles and definitely not for carpet. So I'm in the market for a dog loo but I can't afford more than $100 including postage.

Any recommendations?

Molly is a mini foxie cross chi and is trained to toilet on towels, so I'm sure she would pick up a new system quickly.

Have seen something called the Ugodog which looks good...linky here:

Ugodog

Any feedback greatly appreciated on this and other systems which don't break the bank. :laugh:

TIA. :laugh:

Cheap as Chips has some out for $12 http://www.cheapaschips.com.au/showproduct.asp?sk=BA7131

Otherwise you could try either puppy pads http://www.cheapaschips.com.au/showproduct.asp?sk=BA4348 (can buy these from most pet supply stores or Big W, etc.)

Or bassinett mattress protectors might be good if she's trained to use towels. They have plastic inside so wont leak through and are fairly absorbant. (around $12 for 2 from Big W, Target, etc)

eta, with any of these I'd be putting a tarp down underneath to protect the carpet

Edited by SecretKei

Could you appeal to the agent for a dog door if you pay for it?

The back doorway (only door to the yard) has a timber door then a security screen door. That would mean two dog doors I think...plus Molly is scared of so many things that move so I am unsure if she would learn to use a dog door.

Puppy pads are great when she goes solely on the pad but she sometimes goes on one edge if she has to use it more than once, this has caused seepage in the past and I only use them on tiled floors for that reason.

Tried a litter tray but she wouldn't use it, I think because the sides are too high (she wouldn't jump in and out) and the tray wasn't long/wide enough. I also tried the tray from a plastic crate lined with towels but because it moved, she got scared and wouldn't go near it. :laugh: The tray is slightly warped so doesn't sit flush to the floor. I might try it again on carpet and see what happens because it wouldn't make a noise if it moved on carpet.

What about one of THESE

Not sure how good these are as all my dogs are house trained and crate trained and will hold on till they are let outside.

Deals Direct has these too. I'm thinking about it but it doesn't look very big...so not sure if Molly would need more than one. If anyone has one of these, your thoughts would be appreciated. :laugh:

Puppy pads are great when she goes solely on the pad but she sometimes goes on one edge if she has to use it more than once, this has caused seepage in the past and I only use them on tiled floors for that reason.

If that's the case then just chuck a small waterproof tarp down on the ground and put you towels/puppy pads on top. Cheap, easy and fairly hygienic :laugh:

I've heard of quite a few apartment dogs trained successfully to toilet in the shower recess - from a hygiene perspective it is area that is easier to clean than most.

How about throwing a towel in there?

Even better :laugh:

Cheap as Chips has some out for $12 http://www.cheapaschips.com.au/showproduct.asp?sk=BA7131

Otherwise you could try either puppy pads http://www.cheapaschips.com.au/showproduct.asp?sk=BA4348 (can buy these from most pet supply stores or Big W, etc.)

Or bassinett mattress protectors might be good if she's trained to use towels. They have plastic inside so wont leak through and are fairly absorbant. (around $12 for 2 from Big W, Target, etc)

eta, with any of these I'd be putting a tarp down underneath to protect the carpet

Hi

I'm also looking for an indoor tray..

Is there any similar to the cheap as chips one? The website says they're sold out except in one store that's not in Vic :laugh:

Don't think they post them either...

Thanks

you've had some excellent suggestions in this thread :laugh:

i have a delicate lil boy that doesn't like getting his feet wet so we got one of these...

it's an indoor/outdoor deal --- very little fuss; remove nuggets daily and once a week rinse both the tray and grass parts with plain water but once a month spray both parts liberally with a biozet solution [a tbsp biozet to 500ml water] and hose it thoroughly...

it's big enuf for 2 swfs to dump on once a day and measures just a lil bit larger than the average door mat!

it's a good price and for us, living in sydney, it cost $5 to courier...

our 2 are outdoors when we're not home but if we're out for a short few hours, it's worked well for us :laugh:

good luck!

I have 6 small dogs inside the house while I am out. They all go on towels. I have the plastic tray out of a crate laid down on the floor in the bathroom with folded towels on it. The rim of the tray is only about 2cm high so easier for the dog than a litter tray. I used to put fake grass on top of the towels as the dogs are used to it as I have fake grass in the yard. I gave up on that as they use the towels just as easily. I do have to remember not to leave the bathmat on the floor or they will use that too. Can't blame toe dogs for not being able to differentiate between dog towels and people ones.

We don't have a shower...and the dog toilet posted is far too expensive - it does look good though.

We can't give her access to the bathroom due to the house layout. So she has to be able to toilet off the kitchen area, near the back door (I know that sounds terrible but it's the only place with a non-carpeted floor other than the bathroom). :happydance2:

Hi

Is there any similar to the cheap as chips one? The website says they're sold out except in one store that's not in Vic :happydance2:

Thanks

I've also seen them on eBay also, but the price was around $35 + postage from memory.

Hi

Is there any similar to the cheap as chips one? The website says they're sold out except in one store that's not in Vic :happydance2:

Thanks

Spitzbaby,

I just bought one like this from the Vic. Market for $35

Portable Dog Loo

Hi

Is there any similar to the cheap as chips one? The website says they're sold out except in one store that's not in Vic :laugh:

Thanks

Spitzbaby,

I just bought one like this from the Vic. Market for $35

Portable Dog Loo

seen one on ebay $25.99 plus postage

dog / puppy toilet

Edited by wiggum

I bought a 'pet loo' which was about $300. I now wish i had made one myself as it would have been a lot cheaper. What i would suggest and what i will do in the future will be:

go to bunnings.... buy a lid to one of those large plastic tubs (even if you have to buy the tub as well) it will cost about $30, then buy a length of fake turf, the same width as your lid (about 50cm) so even the most expensive of the fake grass it will cost around $30-$40. Buy some kitty litter. When you get home, cut the fake grass to fit just inside the sides of the plastic lid (should get about 2 grasses out of the length) put a layer of kitty litter in the lid, put the grass on top and presto! you have a pet loo. And you can make it as big or small as you like just depends on the size of the lid you buy.

I live in a unit with no grass and it is fully carpeted. At the moment the loo is on a tarp but will eventually be moved out onto the balcony but you could put it in a bathroom, corner of a room or laundry. The kitty litter will make it easier to clean as it absorbs the moisture instead of you trying to run a lid of liquid through the house. Just pick up the soilds whenever you see them, replace the kitty litter when appropriate, i guess it would depend on how much you put in there. And rinse the grass every week with a spray of the hose, when one grass is drying use the other on the tray.

i think that if you make your own you will get a bigger toilet for you dog. Alot of the $50 toilets you can buy i think are really small, and for some dogs that is fine but if you make your own you can make it as big as you like (well as big as the lids you can buy :laugh:)

Good luck/

Edited by Nushie

We had our mini foxie boy in an apartment for the first year and a half and I swear by this -> Doggy Dunny lined with pee pads.

We tried a Pet Loo (bulkier and hard to clean), litter trays, synthetic grass on towels etc and this just worked a treat.

Even though we have a yard now we leave it on the deck and he uses it when it's raining.

You could probably find one on EBAY? I thoroughly recommend lining them too (we use pee pads but newspaper would work too). :laugh: