Desexing Advice!

So Pablo (my chi) will be 1 next month and I had put off desexing him as I planned on showing him but have never really had the time so he's just going to be a family pet.

He marks inside the house ALL the time (I also have 2 other males both of which are desexed) so I assume he's marking his territory which is clearly unacceptable.

And yes before anyone asks he does get repremanded when I catch him and I've tried to teach him to "toilet" on command but that's proving difficult.

So in short my question is....will desexing him now stop the problem or is it a 50/50 chance?

Have you tried a Belly Band?

We can't really tell if you desexing will stop or minimise the marking, one can only hope and it can take some months for the hormone levels to drop.

You can always give the dog a Superlorin implant if you may still show in the future, that way you can see how things will be before surgically desexing.

I think in conjunction with training it would help. I wouldn't leave it any longer though.

Have you thought about making him wear a belly band?

eta: snap Sas.

Edited by Clyde

What's a belly band?

I got him when he was already a few months old which is why training has been harder plus I've never had a Chi so not too experienced with them but my other 3 dogs are really good

Yes, a dog should be a few months old when you get them as they should not leave their breeder until they are 8 weeks of age.

My experience in toilet training is that adults are much faster at training than pups, but all in all it shouldn't take more than a few weeks granted the dog can hold its' bladder/bowel overnight.

I have heard that some small dog breeds are hard to toilet train, it is also relevant to how they were raised whilst with their breeder, this is why Petshop pups can be hard to toilet train as they are forced to eat, sleep and toilet in the same area.

A belly band is like a wrap that covers his bits and therefor if he pees it will go into the belly band and hopefully he won't appreciate that and soon cease. You can get belly bands from places like this: http://www.lovemyfurbabies.com.au/

Even if it doesn't stop him, he stops the mess.

What is your toilet training routine?

Edited by sas

I've had entire dogs and bitches all my life and have never had one that marked inside, IMO this is largely a training issue. Treat the dog as if he's a baby puppy of 8 weeks and go right back to basics, take him outside immediately after sleeping, eating or playing and every couple of hours in between, wait until he goes and then give him lots of praise and a treat. If you can't supervise him crate him and when he's loose restrict his access in the house so that you can always keep an eye on him. Toy breeds can be harder to housetrain than the larger breeds, but it is certainly possible if you're vigilant and consistent. In conjunction with training you can also use a belly band, these are very effective in most dogs and certainly reduce the cleaning up.

I don't think desexing him will offer an instant cure as at 1 year of age this behaviour has become a habit, however it may help a little.

So in essence he'll pee on himself lol

I actually didnt get him direct from the breeder, its a long story but the person who had him first had NO idea, she was feeding him adult "my dog" food!

As for training, he's good while im at work but when I get home ill take him out (refuses to use the doggy door like the other 3 even without the flap on) he'll do several wees but then comes back inside and does a few more drops here and there.

I've had entire dogs and bitches all my life and have never had one that marked inside, IMO this is largely a training issue. Treat the dog as if he's a baby puppy of 8 weeks and go right back to basics, take him outside immediately after sleeping, eating or playing and every couple of hours in between, wait until he goes and then give him lots of praise and a treat. If you can't supervise him crate him and when he's loose restrict his access in the house so that you can always keep an eye on him. Toy breeds can be harder to housetrain than the larger breeds, but it is certainly possible if you're vigilant and consistent. In conjunction with training you can also use a belly band, these are very effective in most dogs and certainly reduce the cleaning up.

I don't think desexing him will offer an instant cure as at 1 year of age this behaviour has become a habit, however it may help a little.

I should re-phrase, he doesnt have accidents inside its like he deliberately saves some after being outside as he'll just do a few drops

Love My furbabies make great belly bands, I would opt for desexing to help minimalise the marking there is no guarantee's though, desexing in addition with training may help resolve the matter for you

What's a belly band?

I got him when he was already a few months old which is why training has been harder plus I've never had a Chi so not too experienced with them but my other 3 dogs are really good

You can train a dog to be house trained , I trained my two at 12 months old its just a case of watch and be RIGHT on time for the cue and praise etc!

It is a case of training him with praise and repeat commands, its a lot of work for a while but it will pay off, if you are not showing him I would desex him, until the scent is gone he will continue to mark, try vinegar, all my dogs mark outside and they are a mix of desexed and entire.

Good luck

I dont think its a case of not being toilet trained, i think its definately a marking his dominance kind of issue.

Im going to try the belly bands and see how they go cos I may want to show or stud him in the future...im biased but he's 25cm x 25cm of pure handsomeness!

I dont think its a case of not being toilet trained, i think its definately a marking his dominance kind of issue.

Im going to try the belly bands and see how they go cos I may want to show or stud him in the future...im biased but he's 25cm x 25cm of pure handsomeness!

persevere anyhow the belly bands are a good idea but as he is a little mexican 9 my two are as well) !! you tell him where he is gonna mark and thats outside!

Love the pics they are all gorgeous!

definately go the belly band and some training. Is he actually cocking his leg or just peeing when he gets back inside? Go nice thick pads to put inside as well. I think I just bought homebrand maternity pads, cut them in half and used them inside the belly band.

My boy here is 12 months of age and took ages to learn not to come back inside and pee. He is fine now. I did toilet training with him, but he just took a little longer to learn to pee OUTSIDE!

What are you also cleaning up the pee with? Some products will actually promote the dogs to mark back over it as it contains ammonia.

He is entire and for the most part, still squats. Sometimes he will do a half arsed cock outside, particularly when I have a girl in season and he has to go around outside. He has NEVER marked inside.

Good idea about buying home brand pads!

He cocks his leg but its only ever a few drops.

Ive used several products that are SUPPOSED to deter a dog from peeing, none of which contained amonia as im aware that smells like wee to them...and cats!