White Pomeranian

lattepom

Yes, I know the actual size of the teacup size breed. The one we had was somewhat weight 5-6 kg. bigger than conventional size. He enjoy short running & cycling with us.

Huh? This is not the "teacup" size - this is the correct size for the breed. I have no doubt they come bigger, because nature works like that but a Pomeranian isn't meant to be a 5-6kg dog, it's meant to be a 2-3kg dog. No different than saying you'd like a Saint Bernard but that's a bit big so lets get one that is only 1/2 the proper size.

Yes of course you can buy a Pomeranian that will grow to twice the correct size for the breed, but have a look at a breed that's meant to be the size dog you actually want to buy is the suggestion being made. ;)

"Teacup" is a term used by puppy farmers and backyard breeders to make their runty undersized badly bred puppies sound cute and different so they can charge lots of money for puppies which could well be very unhealthy and abnormal.

Appreciate if anyone could give me some suggestions of the small-mid size breed that best with indoor most of the time & can do short running & cycling too.

People have given you some suggestions already, have you had a look at them? Just remember you need to be prepared to regularly groom a fluffy dog.

My suggestion would be a miniature schnauzer but I don't know how well they'd keep up with cycling, someone else might know.

You do realise how tiny a properly bred pomeranian is? They aren't really a breed you can go cycling with.

Of course you can! ;)

Pajsa-Bike-Basket.jpg

omg the music from the bit in the wizard of oz just popped into my head - the bit where the mean lady witch steals toto.

to the OP i suggest you do a bit more research into breeders of your chosen breed... find one you are happy with, get a cost and wait while puppy is born, rather than purchasing one NOW on a budget of X and (particularly if it's poorly bred) end up with health problems later.

PF, could DeShonko knock one up with long legs? Or better yet - with wheels?!

Yes, I know the actual size of the teacup size breed. The one we had was somewhat weight 5-6 kg. bigger than conventional size. He enjoy short running & cycling with us.

German Spitz (Mittel) might be another one to look at lattepom. They seem a very nice dog.

I agree, there is a lovely lady in my area who shows 2 of these dogs and they're just gorgeous dogs, quite compact but not as small or as 'fine' as Pomeranians.

My mum used to breed them years ago. Yes, they are very good breed. Do you know whether your neighbour have any puppies for sale? If yes, How much is she expecting for the price? Hope it's not too costly as I only got certain limit of budget. ;)

Sorry she is not my neighbour, she lives in my area and I see her at shows. She just has two of them she doesn't breed them as far as I know.

You do realise how tiny a properly bred pomeranian is? They aren't really a breed you can go cycling with.

Of course you can! ;)

Pajsa-Bike-Basket.jpg

PF, I beg to DIFFER. A pom bred by a registered breeder is TINY. Too TINY to be expected to gallop alongside someone on a bicycle.

;)

If you are adamant in wanting a dog to exercise alongside with you I really do not recommend a pomeranian. I really dont think its fair on a german or japanese spitz either. Perhaps you should consider a larger dog with plenty of energy to burn such

as a kelpie, border collie, golden retriever or labrador, plenty of others to choose from also.

Please remember NEVER to overexercise a dog when it is still young, wait for the growing to be complete otherwise you will be left with a dog fraught with skeletal problems.

Moselle can you not see the photo? Not trying to be rude I know photobucket etc are blocked on some people's computers ;)

Hi many thanks for the info. Me & my wife only live in medium size house with small back yard. As we used to enjoy walking & cycling our previous dog. We intend to keep a dog again with the same type of activities. Also, we would want a small dog. What sort of of breed would you recommend?

I did see the photo, lol. I didnt read all the posts but after having read the above post I would have thought that the OP is looking for a dog to walk or cycle alongside them. I dont think they are looking for a lapdog to carry along when they are exercising.

Edited by Moselle

Of course you can! ;)

Pajsa-Bike-Basket.jpg

PF, I beg to DIFFER. A pom bred by a registered breeder is TINY. Too TINY to be expected to gallop alongside someone on a bicycle.

;)

you are not being serious right???

Moselle can you not see the photo? Not trying to be rude I know photobucket etc are blocked on some people's computers ;)

Hi many thanks for the info. Me & my wife only live in medium size house with small back yard. As we used to enjoy walking & cycling our previous dog. We intend to keep a dog again with the same type of activities. Also, we would want a small dog. What sort of of breed would you recommend?

I did see the photo, lol. I didnt read all the posts but after having read the above post I would have thought that the OP is looking for a dog to walk or cycle alongside them. I dont think they are looking for a lapdog to carry along when they are exercising.

Everyone has said the same thing Moselle, PF put that up as a joke.....

Everyone has said the same thing Moselle, PF put that up as a joke.....

I didnt read every other post and was just responding to FranCQ's comment to me as to whether I had seen the photo which I had. My understanding is that the OP is looking for a dog that will keep up with them when they are cycling or whatever else and not as an accessory, lol. I don't know what advice others have given and besides which it is not the first time that posters offer the same repeated advice, right? lol

Edited by Moselle

I guess it's just that you used capitals and made an angry face at poodlefan when she was just being lighthearted, I genuinely thought you mightn't have seen the photo and thought pf was actually saying that you could go cycling with a pom. No matter you've made your point ;)

I guess it's just that you used capitals and made an angry face at poodlefan when she was just being lighthearted, I genuinely thought you mightn't have seen the photo and thought pf was actually saying that you could go cycling with a pom. No matter you've made your point ;)

;) I did see the photo but didnt see the pom sitting in the basket, lol. I did think she was fair dinkum at first, I saw the photo soon after but I had already written my post and didnt have the time there and then to edit it.

My advice would be to take extreme care if you are thinking about running with any breed but particularly one with a great deal of hair. Dogs can easily suffer heat stress.

Also, I would not have known it but dealing with the hair on a pomeranian type dog is far worse than other high maintenance coats that I've managed (I foster care). I had a pom for about 3 months and could not keep on top of the coat, it would be too much for most people I think. I am a very busy person it is true but I also pride myself on managing to keep all my dogs in good condition, I simply found the pom hair too demanding and wouldn't have one full time.

• 3 weeks later...