Incident Yesterday .... Child At My Side Gate Wanting To Pat My Dogs

Tilly

How about a sheet of clear perspex to cover the gaps in the palings? That way the dogs can see out and it should last longer than the shade cloth.

i feel your safest option is to fix the fence by covering it, with what ever you have, it might be much less hassle then dealing with the council over all these stupid laws and signs but a "please do not pat the dogs behind fence" but then again what do people do when they see" DO not touch wet paint" they are going to touch it!!! :thumbsup: lol so might be easy to put "please pat dgs and find out"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as the dogs are on their own property it shouldn't be an issue

this also apply to other animals straying into their yard

your dogs should not be held responsible for what happens to it

Nice theory, but apparently it doesn't work in Brisbane - see the post above where Tilly checked with the city council.

How bloody silly. It's important to protect people against dogs, yes, but it seems like they're saying that no matter how stupid the human is, the dog is always at fault.

Tilly, just out of interest, did you find out if there any circumstances in which a dog bite is "allowable"? How about if my dog is actively protecting you from an assault - is it "allowed" to bite then to protect its owner? Or how about if it is biting in self defence? Or is the dog always in the wrong if a bite occurs?

A council employee in the AC department who was assisting (somehow) at my local council's free dog obedience session the other day told me that recently a lot of the laws have changed in QLD. I was telling her about the dog that jumped into my ex and my yard last year to fight with Atlas and she said back then it would have been fine but now if Atlas hurt the dog (which he did not, he came when called like a good boy) then we would be liable. She said local council doesn't agree with the rules but it is state mandated so we have no choice. Then again, this is the same lady who told me that she regrets desexing her pound-puppy mini dachshund because 'he has a great temperament' so therefore should be bred with, and also told a lady with a little CKCS with weak pasterns that she should breed with it because it was so cute. Sorry. Off topic.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous if it's true. What is the world coming to? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Just go with the extra fence and the Energex lock.

The advice that was given sounds crazy. But I'm not familiar with any of that.

Sufffice to say that, in time, that will be sorted out. But that won't help the current situation.

Kids love animals. They are innocents and DO want to pat them. Parents are not always very intelligent and common sense is a very rare commodity.

I'd go the extra gate. :(