Sigh! People Are Annoying

Tonight I took Saxon for his usual walk around our neighbourhood. Mum lives in the same area so we were walking over there to say hello. In the reasonably quiet street around the corner from her house a young GSD came trotting up behind us, crossing the road then coming up the footpath in our direction.

Just to let you know - Saxon is a 4.8kg toy poodle x, very good with other dogs but SMALL. I, after some learning experiences, am protective of him around unknown dogs... However, I do trust his instincts and look for his reaction to other dogs to guide me. He didn't seem particularly bothered about this other dog.

But, in my area, it is VERY unusual to come across an unattended dog. I know we are very lucky with that but it definitely put me on my guard. I didn't want to panic anyone (anydog) so as the other dog approached I slowly walked up to Saxon (about 1.5m away from me on his extendy lead) talking to him. I got to Saxon, picked him up and held him under my arm, away from the other dog. The other dog went to jump up, in a playful way. I told him "NO". He stopped and looked at me calmly. I held Saxon on my left side under my arm and slowly reached my right hand out to the GSD. I told him to stay, he stopped and waited. I took a few steps away then turned around, and on the road saw a man on a bike coming.

I was thinking I could ask him for help, as I wanted to do something for this dog but didn't want to risk Saxon's or my own safety. I was starting to think I could ask him to hold Saxon while I got the other dog... As he got close though, he looked at me and said "your dog nearly got hit by a truck last night" in an angry voice. I pointed to the GSD and said "That dog?" He said yep, I said "That's not my dog". He then kept on riding and muttering something that was NOT complimentary... I was so mad, I wanted to say, 'hello, look at how I treat my dog (collared, leashed, name tagged, walked, wearing a jacket for the cold), you think I'd let another of my dogs roam the streets!!!' Bike guy kept riding up the street and I of course stood there with my mouth open not saying anything :eek: .

I checked the GSD's collar - holding Saxon as far away as I could - he had no name/phone # tag but did have a council tag so I thought I'd try to get him to Mum's then call the Rangers. We started walking but then I heard someone yelling so I stopped, the dog heard and ran off up the street. I walked back in that direction but couldn't see where he went. I plan to go again tomorrow evening and see if I can find the dog and his owners, and maybe talk to them...

So, vent vent vent... I'm not happy that this dog was out roaming, BUT it was a young dog, and giving benefit of the doubt, mayber the owners didn't know it was getting out... but more so Mr Bike Rider - don't comment on a situation WITHOUT any offer to HELP then ride off complaining about someone who is trying to ensure the safety of two dogs, herself and the general public!!! GRRRR...

Ok thanks for listening :eek:

Jeez I'm not a nervous person by nature but that would have me on edge a bit. Not knowing the GSD at all & having it approach with no idea of how it'd react would have been very unnerving for you.

Luckily in this case he sounds like a young possibly naughty GSD whose finding someway out of his yard. Luckily also he was well behaved & didn't show signs of aggression towards you & your dog. It's an assumption but if he has had some basic training I'd assume maybe his owners care about him (why bother to train him otherwise) rather than just letting him roam coz they don't care. I know I'd appreciate knowing if one of my girls was out wandering the streets.

As for the young guy - well I'm a bit jaded these days. Sadly it often seems people are happy to give smart remarks & sneer at you but not lift a finger to help anyone. Try & forget him, he obviously isn't worth your time stressing over.

I've had the same thing happen when I interrupted a dog fight. Pulled this Labrador off someone's dog, the owner of attacked dog came up and started screaming at me about letting My dog attack someone. I Politely interrupted her and stated that it wasn't my dog, I just happened to stop the fight and was her dog ok? She was very embarrassed. I wasn't mad at her though, very emotional about something happening to her dog so could you really blame her?

I'm guessing the guy was probably embarrassed at accusing you and being wrong.

Hope the GSD is ok! Maybe stick a spare lead in your pocket when you go walking next?

D'oh wrote a response, computer ate it!

So, I do think the GSD had had training. S/he was clearly quite sweet and just wanted to hang out with us. By my guess I'd say s/he was only 7/8 months old. That's particularly why I want to find to owners, just to make sure they know s/he is getting out - according to bike guy this wasn't the first time so just want to make sure they know what's happening. That's what I'd want.

LMSW- I was actually thinking at the time that I wish I had a different leash. I was thinking of putting the GSD on Saxon's extendy leash - which is fine for him (dogs up to 10kg) - but I thought s/he could break it easily so maybe not worth it. I do have a much stronger flat lead and maybe I'll carry that now. Do others do that?

I hope bike guy was embarrassed and wasn't muttering negative things about me (not that I really care if he was). I still think though that if you're going to comment on a situation to a stranger, then you should at least try to help!

I often carry a short piece of rope, about a mtr in length, it is handy if you see a loose dog (i'm big for grabbing and calling the ranger) and if you end up losing it, it's not the endo of the world, (leashes are expensive) it's easy enough to tie a loop in the end for a handle etc. but coiled up neatly fits in a pocket or training bag... I've also found it handy with my own dogs on occasion....

I've had the same thing happen when I interrupted a dog fight. Pulled this Labrador off someone's dog, the owner of attacked dog came up and started screaming at me about letting My dog attack someone. I Politely interrupted her and stated that it wasn't my dog, I just happened to stop the fight and was her dog ok? She was very embarrassed. I wasn't mad at her though, very emotional about something happening to her dog so could you really blame her?

I'm guessing the guy was probably embarrassed at accusing you and being wrong.

Hope the GSD is ok! Maybe stick a spare lead in your pocket when you go walking next?

Yep I couldn't say I'd do anything different if I saw someone pulling a dog off my dog, my traumatised/angry brain would be devoid of all rational thought and looking to strike at anyone at that stage!

So, vent vent vent... I'm not happy that this dog was out roaming, BUT it was a young dog, and giving benefit of the doubt, mayber the owners didn't know it was getting out... but more so Mr Bike Rider - don't comment on a situation WITHOUT any offer to HELP then ride off complaining about someone who is trying to ensure the safety of two dogs, herself and the general public!!! GRRRR...

Ok thanks for listening :eek:

I reckon you did a darn good job sorting thro' all that & figuring out a plan while trying to keep you & your dog safe. :eek:

Mr Bike Rider was plain rude. Probably a big fat coward as well, because he'd rather have a go at you (& NOT listen) than face a situation where he'd have to help with a big dog on the loose.

Ok thanks for listening :thumbsup:

There's nothing that fixes the attitude of rude bike riders like a stick in the wheel......only kidding - lol.

Just remember that you were doing the right thing, you know it and that's all that matters. In my neighbourhood - I can't even walk my dogs more than 50m without encountering an off-leash dog wandering the streets - fortunately, I know most of them now. I've politely told the owners as I've walked by that their dogs should probably be contained so that they're safe from getting hit by cars, etc but it's pretty much fallen on deaf ears.

I came across a wandering dog on the busy street near my place one day obviously not used to being out because he seemed a bit distressed and frightened - fortunately we weren't far from home, he was happy to follow me away from the commotion when I called him and my dog behaved. I put a lead on him and found his owners looking for him and they were very grateful - so sometimes doing the right thing does pay off :laugh: Well done for your concern.

I've had a similar experience. Stray dog following us on a walk, my dog on a leash, stray dog running onto the road and almost getting hit, me calling him to me and putting a spare leash on him while I got abused by drivers and stared at by passers by for letting "my" dog run all over the road!

I eventually leashed the dog (lucky he had a collar on and I had a spare leash on me - strap of my Houndbag :laugh: ), walked him to a quiet place and called OH to come pick him up and take him home. (I had recognised him as a dog I normally saw on my morning walk and knew who the owner was and where he lived).

Only one person thanked me (a man who actually went out of his way to approach and thank me the following day - and no, not the owner!) Everyone else just stood and stared :laugh: The owner never said a word. Same thing last week when I found a lost baby SBT pup. A lady stood there and watched me stuggle with my own dog as this puppy bounced all over me. When I asked her if she knew who owned it she told me to hit it with a stick and walked off. Left me to struggle home with 2 dogs - 1 almost 40kgs and very excited, one a baby with no collar or leash, covered in mud and bouncing everywhere :thumbsup: At least the poor pups owners were grateful to have her returned, apparently she had been missing for 2 days!