I Feel Like I Am Going To Fail My Puppy...

SalTheGal

I'm really hoping I can get some reassurance from DOLers- or some alternatives to what we are doing if it is wrong! :laugh:

We've had our CS puppy Penny for 3wks now, and I feel like we are getting nowhere, and she is turning into a real little brat! :vomit:

In terms of training, when she does something we want to discourage, such as jump up on my 1yr old crawler, nip the kids (or us), jump up on the bin searching for scraps, jump up on the edge of the couch to get to us I give a gruff sharp NO... she does seem to be learning that this means stop that activity, but its not seeming to stop her from doing said activity full stop in the first place. When she does the right thing we are trying to go nuts with praise and affection!

For eg- she is sitting her on the floor in front of us now, and keeps jumping up on the edge of the couch- we say DOWN, and gently push her down. If she stays down we give her a treat/pat, if she jumps up again we repeat the process.... we've been doing this for the whole time we've had her- and it doesn't seem to be sinking in that she can't jump on the couch. When and only when she is calm and not jumping up we will then lift her up to sit with us.... is this the wrong thing to do? Are we confusing her by doing this? We do want her to be allowed on the couch for a cuddle in the evenings- but we want her to know she has to be invited up.

Also it is a similar thing with my baby- having a puppy and a crawler does pose its problems- but we really want them to co-exist! My son doesn't pay any attention to the puppy- but alas the puppy likes to pay plenty of attention to my son- she seems to think he is the perfect play toy! Whenever she goes to lick/nip/mouth/jump on him I again use a gruff sharp NO and she desists immediately... but will go in again literally straight away, until I have to physically remove him(often in tears). Again I've been doing this for the 3wks she has been here now- how long should it take before she knows she can't do this? She knows she is doing the wrong thing- she has a sheepish look the minute I get cross- but it doesn't stop her from going in again within seconds!

I must add that I carry liver treats in my pockets at all times, and try to reward good behaviour constantly- I often feel like Jekyll and Hide!.... I will scold- then as soon as she responds I go all gooey happy and give her a treat- then I turn my back and she does xyz behaviour again- I scold, she responds, I reward etc etc.... I feel like she is learning that if she is naughty- then good she gets a treat... could this happen?

I have been trying to teach her to sit- but she literally goes NUTS at the sight or smell of food, and if she sees a treat in my fingers she will go jumpy crazy, and I have NO hope of training her in the traditional way to sit by encouraging the motion with a treat.... same with the drop command..... any suggestions?

The other thing we are getting nowhere with is toilet training- I am religious with taking her out at the appropriate times, but she is showing no signs of telling us when she needs to go out- and no signs that she is learning to understand that outside is for toileting.... she often wets inside (though does not poo) and will go anywhere any time.... several times I have gone outside with her and stood for 5-10mins to no avail, only to come inside and find her doing it within minutes. And alas due to the fact I have 1 and 3.5yr old boys left inside I simply cannot stand outside with her for long periods of time and leave my children inside unsupervised!

We will be taking her to Puppy school, but I was really hoping to get a jump on her training before that happens- I just feel like I am going about it all wrong, and feel like I spend most of my waking hours scolding her atm- it is really starting to make me resent her, and I am getting quite frustrated!!!

She is a gorgeous little girl, and I know we are going to have many years of joy from her- I just really want to get off to a good start- my last dog was such a well behaved boy, and really easy to train, I was so proud of him, but I feel like it is so much harder this time round!

Thanks in advance for any advice!! :thumbsup:

ohhhh I will be watching this thread with interest!! it sounds like my life for the last 4 weeks with my CS puppy, 3 and 5yr old children as well!!

sorry i cant offer any advice but I feel your pain!

Is she getting any daily exercise at all. A tired dog is often a good dog, although all puppies will be mischief at times. Has she got any other amusements, toys, kongs, cardboard boxes to rip up, etc.

Hi Sal,

Wow! The first few weeks of having a new puppy in the house can be a daunting experience. And there certainly come times to all of us, when we throw our hands up in the air and wonder, just what are we doing wrong. I've got young kids, too.

Here is a great website with very comprehensive training information:

www.dogstardaily.com

Re don't touch the baby. I'd probably get a spray bottle for this. Everytime she harrasses the baby, spray her and say NO! Spray her in the face. It is sometimes hard to dol out tough punishment, because we think it is mean. I think, however, that the kindest thing you can do for your dog is inexplicably communicate the rules, and enforce them.

Re don't jump on the lounge. I think, yes you may be confusing her. you say you push her gently down, which she probably feels is like getting a pat. Again, very clearly communicate your displeasure. Perhaps not so gently push her down. I wouldn't allow her on the lounge at all at the moment if you want to teach her that she must be invited.

Try to teach her something positive, for a distraction, instead of focussing on negative behaviour. For instance, with harrassing the baby. Spray her when she harrasses the baby, then ask her to sit and lie down near the baby, then reward her (teaching this is very well covered on the website I've given you). This way you are teaching her HOW to behave, giving her an approved alternative to the behaviour which you don't like. Another expample. When she chews the shoes, take them (without allowing that process to be fun), and give her a chew toy instead. To take them from her, get ahold of her (so she can't pull against you), use your fingers to prise her teeth open, say ta and remove the toy. No fun, no tug of war, no chasing. Then, when you have the shoe, giver her a toy instead.

Re toilet training, it does just take a while. Crate training is covered well on that website, too, and I have found this a useful way of juggling the needs of my family (kids 14 months, 3years and 5 years) and our new puppy.

I think in the case of some negative behaviour, it is best to remove the opportunity to be naughty - like move the bin with the food scraps so she can not access it, put toys and shoes away so she can't get them, use puppy pen / crate / baby pen (I'm not into that sort of thing personally, but perhaps you are) to seperate the puppy and the baby so they are only interacting when you have the opportunity to devote your attention to ensuring the correct behaviour.

Different animals have different motivators. Some it is food, some prefer play, or cuddles, or a toy. Trying to communicate your displeasure I find is harder than rewarding the correct behaviour. The key is like parenting, consistent, clear, loving correction and education. Remember that every time you tell her she must not do something, you must give her something she CAN do, so she is not just standing in the same spot thinking about the same behaviour and ready to repeat it. distract her away from the bad behaviour.

Hope that helps. Check out that website, I found it very useful. Best of luck.

What worked with my lot was ignore all bad behaviour, no scolding, no yelling, no chastising just totally ignore, if it is so bad you can't ignore take her out of the situation. The reason for this is any attention to a pup is just that attention whether it be good or bad attention it is still attention. (hope that makes sense) when she is good reward only reward good behaviour, it doesn't always have to be food it can be a toy a pat a play anything really. How much excersise is she getting, if she is bored she will be destructive. A walk or a little short training session will tire her out. Does she got to puppy preschool of any sort? You've had her for 3 weeks so I'm guessing she is about 11 - 12 weeks old??

I would not suggest spraying her directly in the face. Some dogs can react aggressively when frightened suddenly, and could also destroy your relationship with the dog.

Edited by VJB

Thanks for the replies....

VJB I think she is getting enough exercise- obviously we aren't taking her out walking yet- she isn't fully vaxxed, and hasn't had enough training- but I have a VERY energetic 3.5yr old who loves to get out in the back yard weather permitting and they run ragged together- or they tear up the house inside. She has ample opportunity to race around, and we have lots of toys that we all chip in and play with her with.

Mumof3, thanks so much for your advice! You have given me some really useful suggestions- Love the idea of a spray bottle, will start that one tomorrow.... and off to check out that website.

I also think you made a a really valid point:

Remember that every time you tell her she must not do something, you must give her something she CAN do, so she is not just standing in the same spot thinking about the same behaviour and ready to repeat it. distract her away from the bad behaviour.
this makes a lot of sense- and I will try to keep this in mind. :laugh: thanks!

Maybe sit on the floor with the baby, and the dog on a lead. As soon as the dog is behaving appropriately, give a treat. Have a treat bag attached to you so that you can access treats very quickly. Dogs respond very well to positive reinforcement. Sometimes the communication takes a while, but you should get a good outcome with some persistence.

What worked with my lot was ignore all bad behaviour, no scolding, no yelling, no chastising just totally ignore, if it is so bad you can't ignore take her out of the situation. The reason for this is any attention to a pup is just that attention whether it be good or bad attention it is still attention. (hope that makes sense) when she is good reward only reward good behaviour, it doesn't always have to be food it can be a toy a pat a play anything really. How much excersise is she getting, if she is bored she will be destructive. A walk or a little short training session will tire her out. Does she got to puppy preschool of any sort? You've had her for 3 weeks so I'm guessing she is about 11 - 12 weeks old??

She is 11wks old, I am getting her 12wk vax done next week, then we are off to puppy school- so I am hoping we will sort some stuff out then.

The only problem with ignoring the bad behaviour is when it involves my bub! I can't just let that slide or I end up with a screaming bub!!! And I don't want to have to separate them all the time... we have an open plan living space and I don't want the puppy to be confined to a pen all the time- I really want her to learn that she has to leave the baby alone!

Oh and VJB I take on board your thoughts re the spray bottle- I certianly don't want to incite any more aggresive behaviour around my children.

I do give treats as soon as she behaves the right way- thus why I feel a bit like jekyll and hyde!!! She misbehaves, I scold, she desists, I reward, I turn my back, she misbehaves again!!!

It is hard, and it is frustrating,,,, not just for you, but also for your pup. She's just a baby herself, and finding out all the boundaries, (as well as testing them), it's part of having a dog I guess.... I do feel your pain though, and I do know your frustration. :laugh:

You will learn a heap from puppy school no doubt. Things will settle eventually, and I understand you want the best outcome for all concerned. Dogs often bring out their best behaviour when the treats are super yummy. Cut up frankfurter, cheese etc... really small pieces, but really yummy for dogs. When she jumps all over the place, turn around and wait it out. Eventually she should do something towards sitting, and at this precise moment praise/treat. Even for having all 4 feet on the ground at this point is worth treating. It will teach her that you expect calmness from her. Dogs are very smart, and it is usually the humans that are not getting the messages across correctly. You just need to keep persisting, and don't give up. She will learn these things, and so will you.

Can you give her a space of her own near the couch where she can be with the family.

A mat on the floor perhaps.

When your watching TV get her to settle in front of you on the mat.

Make sure you reward her for this, pats and cuddles for her when she is settled.

A lot of people ignore dogs when they're being good and quiet and give them attention when they're misbehaving.

Make sure you reward her for quiet times :laugh:

She's only little, these things take time. I'm sure you're doing a great job. Just stay positive :eek:

I found all the techniques I knew back in the 1980s completely ineffective on my dog. I don't know how she knew they were old fashioned and useless.

She didn't respond to "No" no matter how firm.

She didn't respond to rolled up newspaper. Well being a cattle dog x and bred to dodge angry cow hooves, I was never quick enough to actually connect, and she thought it was a fun game. Newspaper correction, zero. Dog toy, won.

Scolding never worked. Especially if she was barking. Ie if I make noise, I'm joining in, in the same way a dog bark message gets passed around the neighbourhood. Eg the fire trucks are coming....

Tap on the nose for biting - also treated as play. And hard play at that. Ie if I play hard, she plays hard. If I play gentle, she plays gentle. If she plays too rough, I stop playing and ignore her.

What worked?

She LOVES being with me. So first thing that worked was isolation for bad behaviour. Yes there will probably be some whinging about this but it's important not to let dog out of crate/isolation room until it is quiet. Even if it's only quiet for a couple of seconds, initially, then you can build on the quiet time.

Rewards and distraction/substition works. Ie get dog to do what you would rather it be doing, use food lure and treat or play game for doing the right thing. I use soft treats eg roast chicken. It's messy but it's faster, and dog is less likely to choke on it when it's excited. I use dry treats to reward "check ins" out in the park. Ie different treats have different value. If you want to encourage a behaviour, reward with the treat that reflects the quality of the behaviour. If dog gets it really right - use roast chicken. If dog gets it semi right or it's not that special, dog gets kitten kibble.

I also use Triangle of Temptation, and sometimes NILIF for getting the dog to pay attention to me and look to me before it does what it wants.

I also use the squirty bottle, but more as a distraction/displacement activity. Eg dog barking at neighbours (in neighbour's place). I squirt near her, and praise/treat when she stops barking to check out the spray instead. She quite likes chasing jets of water so not the best deterrent. But definitely a good distraction. You can also use squeaky toys, rattles, treat balls for this.

You probably also want to teach "leave it" and "thank you" to get dog to let go of something it has that it shouldn't. If you panic, scold or try to grab the dog and forcibly remove the object, usually the dog will chomp it down faster (competitive eating). But if you throw a small handful of roast chicken pieces, most dogs will drop the thing they have and go for the yummy food. I find my dog now fetches strapping tape and baseballs to trade for uber treats. But this is way better than her eating them.

Use the treats initiate the desirable behaviour, rather than hoping she will do the right thing so you can reward her. Do some reading on clicker training, you can use a word like "yes" instead of click, when precision is not so important. And then you have a second between "marking" the good behaviour and time to give the treat.

Along with "leave it", a "remote" drop would also be worthwhile. Ie teach "drop", then work on getting some distance between you and the dog when it "drops". But even a dog that comes to treat dispensing distance to drop and get treat is better than one that is nipping your child.

For nippnig children, I would put the puppy in the time out box/crate for about 30 seconds, release when quiet (might take a while), and then repeat. I wouldn't bother with scolding beyond a neutral toned "uh uh" or "nope" or "oops". For nipping me - I turn back on dog and ignore for 30 seconds. Or 10 seconds. But long enough for dog to notice it's not getting what it wants. And then if it backs off and sits or does something you want - loads of praise and rewards.

And if you can somehow sneak in some praise for it doing what you want without being asked, ie you start with a well behaved dog and reward that, is better than working from a naughty behaviour.

And that dogstardaily site is great.

Also the training articles here

http://www.k9pro.com.au/index.php

and here

http://www.clickandtreat.com/Clicker_Train...r_training.html

You have to remember she is a baby and will learn things in time.

Puppies respond much better to being directed to do something rather than not do something. The concept of "don't jump up" is hard for a dog to understand but learning to sit and drop for a reward is easier. Rather than reprimand her for jumping, teach her to sit or drop as soon as she looks like wanting to jump and reward the desired behaviour. Always use positive commands rather than reprimands. If you do have to reprimand use Ahhhh rather than No. The dog has no idea what No means. Immediately she responds to the Ahhhh, reward her. It requires split second timing so she understands she is being praised for ceasing the undesiresd behaviour and the praise does not have to be food. A happy voice and reward word like "Good" that is sometimes backed up with a food reward will soon have her responding.

I think expecting her to not jump on the baby is asking way too much. She would see the baby as another puppy and reprimanding her will confuse her. The baby is at her level and cannot issue commands or give praise so she has no reason to view the baby the way she does older humans. Keep them separated unless you have your full attention on them and you can keep the puppy on a lead and train her to sit calmly near the baby.

The biggest problem you have is allowing her far too much freedom too soon. Puppies should be confined to a puppy pen, crate or small room unless thay have your undivided attention. With the toileting she needs to be taken outside and encouraged to go. If she doesn't go she needs to be put back in her pen or crate until you can try again. Under no circumstances should she be allowed loose in the house unless she has just toiletted outside. Every time you let her make a mistake inside you are training her to go inside instead of out. The key to to toilet training is never let them make a mistake.

Alright here's my 2 cents worth :crossfingers: We need photos of your puppy by the way :laugh:

I'm really hoping I can get some reassurance from DOLers- or some alternatives to what we are doing if it is wrong! :eek:

We've had our CS puppy Penny for 3wks now, and I feel like we are getting nowhere, and she is turning into a real little brat! :crossfingers:

In terms of training, when she does something we want to discourage, such as jump up on my 1yr old crawler, nip the kids (or us), jump up on the bin searching for scraps, jump up on the edge of the couch to get to us I give a gruff sharp NO... she does seem to be learning that this means stop that activity, but its not seeming to stop her from doing said activity full stop in the first place. When she does the right thing we are trying to go nuts with praise and affection!

For eg- she is sitting her on the floor in front of us now, and keeps jumping up on the edge of the couch- we say DOWN, and gently push her down. If she stays down we give her a treat/pat, if she jumps up again we repeat the process.... we've been doing this for the whole time we've had her- and it doesn't seem to be sinking in that she can't jump on the couch. When and only when she is calm and not jumping up we will then lift her up to sit with us.... is this the wrong thing to do? Are we confusing her by doing this? We do want her to be allowed on the couch for a cuddle in the evenings- but we want her to know she has to be invited up.

By pushing her down, you are giving her attention. Rather than pushing her and saying Down, Instead ignore her, cross your arms, turn away, pretend like she doesn't exist at all. Then wait, wait for her to be standing/sitting/laying calmly for at least 10 seconds, then reward with a treat/pat and verbal praise :) If she is able to actually get up onto the couch (which as a baby I'm imagining she can't yet), quietly and calmly place her back on the ground, and repeat the same process as before, Ignore, then praise for at least 10 seconds of quiet calm behaviour.

One thing you have to watch for is that if you treat immediately after correcting a dog, It can become a chain of behaviour so *Jumping on couch means that I get pushed down and given a treat*

Also it is a similar thing with my baby- having a puppy and a crawler does pose its problems- but we really want them to co-exist! My son doesn't pay any attention to the puppy- but alas the puppy likes to pay plenty of attention to my son- she seems to think he is the perfect play toy! Whenever she goes to lick/nip/mouth/jump on him I again use a gruff sharp NO and she desists immediately... but will go in again literally straight away, until I have to physically remove him(often in tears). Again I've been doing this for the 3wks she has been here now- how long should it take before she knows she can't do this? She knows she is doing the wrong thing- she has a sheepish look the minute I get cross- but it doesn't stop her from going in again within seconds!

Now to start with, rather than giving a angry voice correction, Remove her from the situation. So the second she starts to try and play with the baby, Mark that bad behaviour with a word, I use a sharp "ah!" and then take her by the collar, and without saying anything else, go and stick her in her crate (if she has one) or laundry, or just in another room and shut the door. By doing this you're communicating to her that that behaviour equals being excluded from her family/pack. Now she might bark, howl, cry, whine or all of the above. What you need to do is wait. Just wait and be patient, wait for at least 10 seconds of silence, then you can go open the door and let her out again. I would keep her on a lead around the baby, just to give yourself more control.

Another thing to do is also reward her for any behaviour that you do like. So if you see her simply walk past the baby, mark her action with the word "Yes!" and give her a treat. Dogs often learn that whilst calm boring behaviour (such as sitting down, laying around, chewing on a toy) doesn't get them any attention, the exciting stuff does ( jumping, barking, biting). So watch her and just randomly, when you see her doing something you like. Such as just laying down somewhere. Give her a treat for it!

I must add that I carry liver treats in my pockets at all times, and try to reward good behaviour constantly- I often feel like Jekyll and Hide!.... I will scold- then as soon as she responds I go all gooey happy and give her a treat- then I turn my back and she does xyz behaviour again- I scold, she responds, I reward etc etc.... I feel like she is learning that if she is naughty- then good she gets a treat... could this happen? Yes! Dogs are smart little buggers. After you correct her, wait for at least 10 seconds after before you reward the good behaviour.

I have been trying to teach her to sit- but she literally goes NUTS at the sight or smell of food, and if she sees a treat in my fingers she will go jumpy crazy, and I have NO hope of training her in the traditional way to sit by encouraging the motion with a treat.... same with the drop command..... any suggestions? There are other ways to train these actions that don't involve food. Simply placing her in the position (One hand on collar, on hand on butt and push it down) and then giving verbal praise is one. Using a toy instead of food is another. Or if you really want to use food, maybe train her after a bit of play time so she is more tired. Or after she has eaten so she is less hungry. Or simply be patient and work gradually. First training her to just calm down when there's food around. Get a treat out and put it in front of her nose. She might do the usual crazy "Omg Food!" motions, jumping on your hand and you, barking, ect. Ignore all these behaviour and just wait. Wait for her to calm down. it might take 5 minutes, but they only have so much energy! when she's calm, give her a treat, then do it again, show her treat but don't let her get it till she's got all feet on the ground and isn't bouncing like a madman. Do this a few times, then I would progress from there to luring her into the position.

The other thing we are getting nowhere with is toilet training- I am religious with taking her out at the appropriate times, but she is showing no signs of telling us when she needs to go out- and no signs that she is learning to understand that outside is for toileting.... she often wets inside (though does not poo) and will go anywhere any time.... several times I have gone outside with her and stood for 5-10mins to no avail, only to come inside and find her doing it within minutes. And alas due to the fact I have 1 and 3.5yr old boys left inside I simply cannot stand outside with her for long periods of time and leave my children inside unsupervised! Puppy toilet training goes like this, after she plays, after she wakes up, after she eats, after she drinks. Basically after she has done anything! You take her out the yard. I have my puppies on lead a lot when they're young as it mean I can easily move them from point A to point B. So I would clip a lead on her, take her outside and stand around and then wait. When she does go toilet, put a word to it, I say "Go Busy!" and then praise her like there is no tomorrow. "WOOHOO!!! Its a celebration! You Peeing outside is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!". If she doesn't do her business, bring her back inside but I would keep her on that lead and keep her close to you. Then take her out again another 5 minutes later and then again another 5 minutes later is she still doesn't do her business.

We will be taking her to Puppy school, but I was really hoping to get a jump on her training before that happens- I just feel like I am going about it all wrong, and feel like I spend most of my waking hours scolding her atm- it is really starting to make me resent her, and I am getting quite frustrated!!!

She is a gorgeous little girl, and I know we are going to have many years of joy from her- I just really want to get off to a good start- my last dog was such a well behaved boy, and really easy to train, I was so proud of him, but I feel like it is so much harder this time round!

Thanks in advance for any advice!! :)

Edited by lovemesideways

:hug:Thankyou all for the advice!! I feel so much more positive about things now.... babysteps I think!!

I am going to turn my processes around and really try to focus on the good behaviour- I have already been trying this so far this morning, and can see it will have good effect, I have kept her on a lead with me (new challenge in itself!) and am just focusing on getting her to stay calm, and sit on command.... then I will work on her over the next few days a lot with bub around still on the lead.

Stupidly :crossfingers: I realised the advice on ignore/stand still is the exact thing I have taught my 3.5yr old to do when she jumps/nips him.... why did I not think to do this myself?!? I think I was thinking its my responsibility to reprimand- where I don't want my son to do that, maybe I should just take some of my own advice!!

One quick question- if I am using a lot of treats that isn't liver treat (such as cheese/chicken/meat) I subtract that from her meals yeah?

OK I started writing this post an hour ago! Children, breakfast, puppy etc has gotten in the way.... BUT I am pleased to say within the last couple of hours of intensive rewarding good behaviour whilst she is on lead with me- she is sitting on command- and I only have to look at her for her to be calm!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!! :laugh::eek::crossfingers:

Maybe sit on the floor with the baby, and the dog on a lead. As soon as the dog is behaving appropriately, give a treat. Have a treat bag attached to you so that you can access treats very quickly. Dogs respond very well to positive reinforcement. Sometimes the communication takes a while, but you should get a good outcome with some persistence.

I agree with this. I'd add a marker (saying "yes" in a quiet way) before getting the treat. Then she knows that "yes" is good.

Yes - subtract the treats from her meals otherwise you'll have a porker on your hands. My dogs don't get any food "from heaven" (ie ina bowl at their feet). They get it by "working".

Look up the following topics posted at the top of the puppy forum: Triangle of Temptation (ToT) and Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF). I don't always do the full ToT thing, but I do hold my girls foot away from me (arm extended to the right) and then say "yes" when she stops looking at the food and looks at me. I then give her the food. This helps to teach a dog to focus on you.

Firstly congratulations on your new puppy, wishing you a long and happy doggy life :)

This part grabed me as we had the same problem, I found a $5 single bed size polar fleese blanket at Kmart i bought the one that was total oppisite colours to our lounge, I wouldnt let diesel up on the lounge at all then we put the blanket on the lounge at night and he was allowed on the blanket. he dosent try and get on the lounge anymore because he knows he can only get up when the blanket is there, it has also helped me with the kids they know they can have cuddels on the lounge but have to ask me to put the blanket up first :)

HTH