Breeds That Run Together

MsKatie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love your Daisy huski, shes sooo pretty! ( I prolly think that cause she has similar face markings to my kitey girl!)

LOL thanks Sammy, she's a cheeky bloody thing and I can totally understand why some beagles have bad manners and can be a bit full on to handle. A lot of people don't realise they are an active breed that needs a fair amount of mental and physical stimulation. But raised and trained well and I think they make great pets for the right person! And SO easy to run with other dogs.

Edited by huski

I dont know much about this at all and this thread is so interesting :laugh:

With dogs I've had myself, I've found sighthounds incredibly good running together or with other breeds. But I've only had wolfhounds.

The only dog I have had that I'd say would not be a good 'run together' dog is one that technically should be and she is great with dogs she knows, but nervy with others and prefers to ignore them.

I realise sled dogs are bred to run as a pack, but I have read (book freak) and also through a friend who sleds in canada and is part of a club, that packs can often have shocking scraps between themselves, no idea on reasons behind it though.

The lakelands I had were so great with all dogs that they would even walk away from a meal to allow whoever to have it :rofl: As far as knowing what you dog was bred for, the reason a 'normal' lakeland is better at running with a group than some other terriers is that they usually hunted with foxhounds in groups. mine lived with several dogs.

all my dogs have been great with each other inc. spinone, ACD, giant schnauzers, goldies, swf, irish water spaniel. BCx,

The only one that was really fiesty, was the Patterdale I grew up with :rofl::o although with humans he was amazing.

I'm really keen on foxhounds and hope to get one sometime in the future.

How do Bloodhounds go Kelpiehound?another fav breed!

Im afraid I've met some rude beagles too, but I wonder if it is because some people are attracted to them as an easy friendly dog, and dont think they need manner training as their dog is friendly.

Im afraid I've met some rude beagles too, but I wonder if it is because some people are attracted to them as an easy friendly dog, and dont think they need manner training as their dog is friendly.

I think this could be part of it, probably one of the reasons I see loads of rude labs around too.

I must admit I've not met many ill tempered or rude beagles, but I know what a handful they can be so I understand how it can happen.

Is now a good time to confess that I have actually never met a beagle?! I'd love to though!!

:o:rofl: really?? Next time you are in Brissy let me know!

No word of a lie! Thanks Huski, I will. :rofl:

Seriously, please do. Just don't bring any donuts with you. Or, you know, anything edible. My beagle is always hungry and can smell a Krispy Kreme from a mile away.

Edited by huski

I have bloodhounds and my three get on brilliantly...just the odd issue every now & then like any family unit....

I have taken them to dog parks after training, together with 3 others owned by friends & they have always gotten on and played well with the other dogs in the park. Bit of an awesome sight having five or so bloodhounds together playing...due to there size it is usually the other dog owners who have a problem, not their dogs!! Scent hounds, as a general rule, get along well with other dogs...not particularly quarrelsome.

:laugh: I'd love to see some photos!! LOVE bloodhounds. I wanted one years ago, visited a breeder, and was met at the gate by heaps of dogs :o:rofl: BIG dogs. hillarious, very friendly, lovely. OH freaked out about the drool :rofl: so that was that, but I'm still keen :rofl: OH has mellowed with time!

Huski, yes, some labs are the same. owners aren't 'bad' I think they just dont understand that some other dogs may not appreciate the exuberance.

I will also mention that I have met 2 incredibly lovely mannered sweet beagles too. Our Ranger mascot in HErvey Bay is a beagle and lovely.

Edited by Monah

Is now a good time to confess that I have actually never met a beagle?! I'd love to though!!

:rofl: :rofl: really?? Next time you are in Brissy let me know!

No word of a lie! Thanks Huski, I will. :laugh:

Seriously, please do. Just don't bring any donuts with you. Or, you know, anything edible. My beagle is always hungry and can smell a Krispy Kreme from a mile away.

Noted. No donuts for Daisy. :o

Edit - actually, just no food...

Edited by Emm

I have a bloodhound and a kelpie and they play together well - I agree with Hunterhound about the bloodhounds playing together - with Earl still being a puppy but weighting in at 51kg he can be a bit much for other dogs - and he does drool over every other dog he plays with - he loves to chase one of the mini schnauzers at our DOL meets (Actually he loves to chase both but only one likes to be chased by him :rofl: )

He also tries to play with dogs of any size and I have to be aware of his size and his general bloody clumsiness *sigh*

It is not a case of "which breed is best".

It is a case of the owner knowing their dogs and putting the time into training and discipline.

....and that's what I said in my first post Souff - there are so many factors that contribute to a dogs personality and interactions with other dogs and pack structure - but my curiosity was piqued by the observation of breed purpose and those which work together :rofl:

LOVE bloodhounds. I wanted one years ago, visited a breeder, and was met at the gate by heaps of dogs BIG dogs. hillarious, very friendly, lovely. OH freaked out about the drool so that was that, but I'm still keen OH has mellowed with time!

They are gorgeous dogs Monah :laugh: Come and meet Earl one day :love:

Great discussion everyone :)

Guest Clover
I have a friend whose BC bitch I would never run with mine...they just don't get along. I find it interesting a couple of years ago that we sent them around the same large mob of sheep. Not only did they tolerate each others presence & proximity, but they were clearly working as a team.

Interesting to see the difference when in work mode isn't it? I've run my boy in the field with a dog that he doesn't particularly like (both entire males of similar age) and when they are working birds they don't take any notice of each other, apart from in regards to bird work :)

Elvis is the exact same, he can hate a dog when just standing around together but have them work together and everything is great. Same goes for Flyball as well, run him in a team with dogs he does not like and eventually he will get excited just at the sight of them :love:.

Edited by Clover

:laugh::rofl: really?? Next time you are in Brissy let me know!

No word of a lie! Thanks Huski, I will. :rofl:

Noted. No donuts for Daisy. :love:

Edit - actually, just no food...

Huski, I do tell a lie! I have met a beagle... at the Ekka with you. :) Do you remember the Tri that seemed really tiny? But I'll still take you up on that offer! :eek:

Hmm neither have I actually. They do seem lovely though.

Edited by minxy

Would dalmatians and weimerana's run well together? Does the sex of the breed make a difference?

This topic is more about how packs of dogs of one breed tend to live together.

There is no one breed that cannot be kept with another breed if the two individuals are compatible. If you have two, best to get one of each sex.