Excessive Panting

lovemesideways

I've noticed that since this afternoon Riddick seems to be panting a bit excessively. For example, upstairs in my room and I called rover onto the bed. Then called riddick up. (they usually sleep in crates but occasionally in my room) as soon as riddick was on the bed he started panting loudly. So I kicked him off, continues panting for maybe 10 seconds then stopped. He isn't thirsty as he just had a drink about 2 minutes ago. Eveything else is normal (eating, drinking, pee, poo). No signs of obvious discomfort when I poked and prodded him.

There have been similar incidents all day. We met with some friends and their dogs at a park. Riddick was off lead and playing with a female shepherd and when they took a break, I noticed he was panting so took him to the water bowl and he had a drink. Then we go back to the group and he starts panting again. Wasn't interested in the water when we went back over.

So I know panting, as well as a sign of some illnesses, can also be a sign if anxiety or stress. It could be nothing but really it just seems out of the ordinary. He's sleeping peacefully on the blanket next to the bed

now. I'm fairly sure that if I called him up onto the bed, he would start panting again, where as if I sent him to the mat in the corner he may not.

Any ideas on what it could be?

He's a 7 month old entire black Labrador.

If he's still doing it tomorrow then we'll be off to the vet just to check it out. Rather be the over protective mum than miss something important.

I've noticed that since this afternoon Riddick seems to be panting a bit excessively. For example, upstairs in my room and I called rover onto the bed. Then called riddick up. (they usually sleep in crates but occasionally in my room) as soon as riddick was on the bed he started panting loudly. So I kicked him off, continues panting for maybe 10 seconds then stopped. He isn't thirsty as he just had a drink about 2 minutes ago. Eveything else is normal (eating, drinking, pee, poo). No signs of obvious discomfort when I poked and prodded him.

There have been similar incidents all day. We met with some friends and their dogs at a park. Riddick was off lead and playing with a female shepherd and when they took a break, I noticed he was panting so took him to the water bowl and he had a drink. Then we go back to the group and he starts panting again. Wasn't interested in the water when we went back over.

So I know panting, as well as a sign of some illnesses, can also be a sign if anxiety or stress. It could be nothing but really it just seems out of the ordinary. He's sleeping peacefully on the blanket next to the bed

now. I'm fairly sure that if I called him up onto the bed, he would start panting again, where as if I sent him to the mat in the corner he may not.

Any ideas on what it could be?

He's a 7 month old entire black Labrador.

If he's still doing it tomorrow then we'll be off to the vet just to check it out. Rather be the over protective mum than miss something important.

You know your pet better than anyone and if you think this is out of the ordinary and it has continued - i'd be going to the vet. i didn't take my puppy to the vet for three days because i was being told i worry too much and it ended up - she had kennel cough even though she had her injections and if i'd have taken her to the vet imediately she wouldn't have got so bad and had three nights of little sleep.

Maybe he is anxious in certain circumstances. Like being called onto the bed - was Rover still up there? Maybe he was giving Riddick the evil eye (or some more subtle sign) and so the puppy was a bit nervous about remaining up there even though you had called him up?

At the dog park - being a youngster, maybe he is just a bit anxious about being with the other dogs and is showing that by panting (even though he looks like he's fitting in and playing)?

Hi- how is he this morning?he may be just a bit warm- he may have pain, it or it may be anxiety -hard to tell from this side of the screen :laugh:

Perhaps if it is a tad warmer over the last couple of days- he is just reacting to it? For most of his life it's been getting cooler ..... now it's getting warmer! What has the temperature outside been as opposed to the past week or so? Being black- he will absorb more heat too :love: Beds are much warmer than floors, normally.....

Our dogs pant most of the time here !They are active :) They don't drink all the time- unless they are very hot, panting alone is enough to cool them down .

As I said- it's hard to tell :rofl: Obviously if you're worried- ask a vet .

Maybe he is anxious in certain circumstances. Like being called onto the bed - was Rover still up there? Maybe he was giving Riddick the evil eye (or some more subtle sign) and so the puppy was a bit nervous about remaining up there even though you had called him up?

At the dog park - being a youngster, maybe he is just a bit anxious about being with the other dogs and is showing that by panting (even though he looks like he's fitting in and playing)?

Wasn't because Rover was up there cause he did the same thing when it was just him. Plus he can do anything to Rover, an rover just shrugs and trots off. He's been meeting friends at the park since he was 4 months, so he knows all the dogs. Just seems odd for a sudden change?

Hi- how is he this morning?he may be just a bit warm- he may have pain, it or it may be anxiety -hard to tell from this side of the screen :laugh:

Perhaps if it is a tad warmer over the last couple of days- he is just reacting to it? For most of his life it's been getting cooler ..... now it's getting warmer! What has the temperature outside been as opposed to the past week or so? Being black- he will absorb more heat too :rofl: Beds are much warmer than floors, normally.....

Our dogs pant most of the time here !They are active :laugh: They don't drink all the time- unless they are very hot, panting alone is enough to cool them down .

As I said- it's hard to tell :laugh: Obviously if you're worried- ask a vet .

He still seems to be panting. Not the loud open mouth panting from yesterday, just a quiet soft pant. It has been getting warmer here (Sydney) so that may have some effect! But you're right, i know him well and it seems odd. I'm gonna give my vet a call and see what he says!

take him for a good vet check, that is pain somewhere. Being a lab they hide pain VERY well despite poking and prodding. Conversely he could be constipated :rofl:

My Malinois was acting the same way, a lot of panting - then she started pacing and yelping randomly turned out to be a dislocated tail.