Crate Size

Edenishy

G'day,

I was hoping someone could help me..

I need to get a crate for a beagle and I was wondering what the best size to get would be, for an adult beagle? (that I dont have yet)

Im getting some conflicting information...some people and some sites are saying it shouldnt be more than 30" but then some are saying it should be 36".

Some say the bigger the better...some say if its too big it can cause issues.

I am meant to be picking up a 30" crate this afternoon but now am wondering if I should upsize.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Ridgie can easily cram himself into a 36" crate. I would go for the 30" for a Beagle :rofl:

eta, I should add that the 36" is a bit too small for him. I use a 42" sized wire crate and an XL soft crate but also have an old 36" size that he prefers and will sleep in during the day.

Edited by SecretKei

30"

Most of my customers purchase my 22.5" for their Beagles, but there would be no issues with a 30". Your dog will not require anymore than 30". However, if you are the type of person that wishes to see your dog as an adult having a bit of extra space, then that is entirely your decision.

Bigger the better. If you have to crate a dog why squash it in a small space when it can have a bigger one, the biggest crate is not that big. Can't see what issues it could cause by having extra room.

I have my toy poodles in 36 inch crates or larger puppy pens, if I need to crate which is not often or for long.

Crates are not play pens. Crating is intented to be quiet time. Excess space encourages play. Excess space encourage toileting.

I always tell my customers that when it comes to purchasing a crate, this is certainly one instance in life where bigger is definitely not better.

If you want excess space for your dog, then the tool you require is not a crate.

If it's for toilet training, then the idea is that it's smallish.

Only big enough to stand + turn around.

In a bigger crate, a corner is far enough away for them to consider OK for toileting.

Some crates come with divider panels to move as a pup grows.

Low-tech solution is just to stick a box in there to take up space.

By the list of responces you could say depending on what the purpose of your crate is as to the size you use.

I have had many dogs and currently only use 48" or XXL crates to night crate dogs in during the winter and for transport i use small 30" crates or crates that only give the dog a small amount of room to move to prevent accidents in transport.

Decid on how you want to use the crate and this will dictate how much extra room you want to give your little companion.

BTW 2 Chi's share one crate and they enjoy their crate