Nikon D40

Lily123

I've been loving everyone's photos with the 50 mm 1.8 lens and was going to get one (particularly considering the price) but then did some research and of course now realise that I can't autofocus with this lens. Is there another lens that is comparable to this one that I could use (that would autofocus)? Has anyone used the 50 mm with the D40?

Thanks for any ideas/help.

.... Has anyone used the 50 mm with the D40? ....

Yes, good result, but as you know it's only manual focus, so not ideal for all circumstances. Anything else in the 1.4 or 1.8 range will be getting expensive. One way out is to buy a second-hand D50 or D70 body - both good cameras, but superseded by D80/90 etc. D50 and D70 will autofocus the 50 AF lens.

Otherwise a useful lens for the D40 is the 18-70mm. That's AFS and is a handy range, sharpest at around 50 (but not a 1.8). What lenses do you have at the moment? If you google for Nikon lenses, Digital Review - or even wikipedia - list AFS lenses for the D40-D60, plus list the cheaper Sigma lenses that will auto-focus on them.

The 60 AFS micro is nice, but again getting expensive. The D40 is an excellent camera, I swapped mine to my brother and really regret it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I knew there was a chance I would have problems with some lens when I bought the D40 but for the price at the time it was the only way I was going to get into the DSLR market at all (and there were some very good reviews around). I've been very happy with the camera and for my skill level I couldn't justify getting another body yet (only purchased this camera late last year). I've got the 18-55 it came with and I bought an 18-105. Maybe I'm getting carried away with camera lens envy (LOL) and should just work with what I've got (but I've soooo loved looking at the photos in the 50 mm thread!). I'll go and have a look at the sites you suggested PossumCorner - thanks again.

... ideal circumstances ...?

Anything that you can allow yourself time to focus. Anything not happening unpredictably, (like blue wrens darting about, that's not ideal). Any scenery, people who will stand still if threatened that to move is to die, no problem. Portraits excellent. Agility dogs over an obstacle, that's do-able as you can set focus up first. Anything you can fine-tune the focus. Tripods are great, as you can concentrate on the focus without having to hold/move the camera in the same moment. And of course the more you do it, the more second-nature it becomes - and all macro shots are manual focus, so it's a good skill to pick up for macro work. Plus when you are using an auto-focus zoom lens and it starts hunting, you can switch to manual and focus without it being a challenge.

The camera was crticised for the lens limitation to AFS. It's a bit of a nonsense, there are more than enough lenses to suit, and it kept the camera price to a level more people could get into DSLR. You'd be wrapt in the 50 1.8 though, and like you say even if possessing it is a bit in the mind, so what! Go ahead with it, manual focus and you get more satisfaction when you nail it.

Hmmm... I had decided that it wasn't to be but, for the price, it really isn't too much to justify me getting it and having a good play around with it. I guess if it doesn't work out for me I can just sell it on. Thanks PossumCorner, you've been very helpful and knowledgeable with your comments and it's much appreciated. I think (if the tax man is nice to me) that I might just bite the bullet and buy the 50 mm.

Lily,

One thing I found with the 50mm f1.8 is the bokeh can be a little average. It also has a very short depth of field. Just something to remember. I have it and used it the other weekend at the Rally Champs. I fell into the same trap as you did in getting that lens cause of the price and found it would not focus on the D40x.

If you are taking moving shots, the lens takes a little to focus. If you are taking still photography, where time to focus is not a real issue, then I would look at it. The f stop of the lens is certainly attractable.

I have since sold the D40x and bought the D90 with the professional lens option. Love this camera :laugh:

Mystiqview - thanks for your input. It's great to hear from people who have used the lens. I'm sorry, but I'm blocking my ears, la, la, la, I can't hear you saying anything about another camera body LOL!!

The information sharing is fantastic, particularly when I know nothing and the more you hear the more confusing it is sometimes!

• 2 weeks later...

Just on the subject of AFS lenses for the D40 etc., Tokina have just released a new AFA for Nikon. Claiming as good as Nikon glass, it is to be released to celebrate their 75 years centenerary or something. It's a 70-300 with anti everything stabilisation, and said to be very good, certainly it would be better than the 70-300 kit lens. Sounds like Tokina are trying to break the hold Sigma have as a preferred 3rd party provider. I like the Sigma lenses I have, but this one does sound like a good buy, it is to be "about" $500 in the USA when released, so would be a bit more here. Hope the dollar keeps holding up.