Dandruff, On Eagle Pack Holistic

I used to feed our chocolate lab Charlie Royal Canin Labrador puppy, and he's turned one a few months ago and I changed over to Eagle Pack Holistic Select (after reading lots of reviews and wanting a more 'holistic' food). I've been using the sardines flavour of EP. I thought it was a great food, but noticed in the last 2 weeks he is shedding a lot more than usual (I brush him three times a week so I have a rough idea of how much fur comes out in the comb) and he's got a lot of dandruff. He used to have dandruff on Royal Canin too but I think it is worse now.

The reason I got the sardines flavour is because I thought the omega-3s in there would help his dandruff; i've also been supplementing with an egg here and there and fresh sardines and yoghurt. once a week he gets get raw bones/marrow bones.

Any suggestions on what's going on? He is always on flea preventatives and doesn't itch.

I think I would like to change his food - can anyone recommend a better quality dry food than EP? No fillers/grain etc if possible.

I have looked into RAW but have decided against it.

I used to feed our chocolate lab Charlie Royal Canin Labrador puppy, and he's turned one a few months ago and I changed over to Eagle Pack Holistic Select (after reading lots of reviews and wanting a more 'holistic' food). I've been using the sardines flavour of EP. I thought it was a great food, but noticed in the last 2 weeks he is shedding a lot more than usual (I brush him three times a week so I have a rough idea of how much fur comes out in the comb) and he's got a lot of dandruff. He used to have dandruff on Royal Canin too but I think it is worse now.

The reason I got the sardines flavour is because I thought the omega-3s in there would help his dandruff; i've also been supplementing with an egg here and there and fresh sardines and yoghurt. once a week he gets get raw bones/marrow bones.

Any suggestions on what's going on? He is always on flea preventatives and doesn't itch.

I think I would like to change his food - can anyone recommend a better quality dry food than EP? No fillers/grain etc if possible.

I have looked into RAW but have decided against it.

I'm not sure about Labs, but do they do a seasonal malt???? I'm not sure if it would be the food, but I'm no expert. I have always been told it takes 8-12 weeks for the food to make a difference to their condition. But not sure, hopefully someone else will be able to answer this better.

Can I ask what Shampoo and if any conditioner you use?

Edited by cj-b

How long ago did you change foods?

Sometimes you will see coat change etc as their systems adjust to the new food.

Nutro Large Breed might be a good one for you to look into. It has high levels of Essential Fatty Acids, as well as VitE and Zinc. It's 100% natural, australian made, and a little cheaper than both EP and RC.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

I use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner (which are great I think).

I switched the foods about a month ago....initially they were doing great but now the dandruff issue...it could be that it's a seasonal shedding, I'm not sure. I have been reading about Artemis and it seems like a popular food choice.

I put olive oil on his food sometimes, and supplement with oily fishes and eggs but still no improvement.

Nutro Large Breed might be a good one for you to look into. It has high levels of Essential Fatty Acids, as well as VitE and Zinc. It's 100% natural, australian made, and a little cheaper than both EP and RC.

I second this! I had my Chessie pup on EP for a good 2 months, 1 month gradual changeover and 1 months straight EP, I don't think he did one solid poo that whole time and his coat was a bit matt. Switched to Nutro and the gloss came back, the wight came on and I only had to feed half of what I did for EP to keep the weight on, oh and the poos were pretty good. :laugh:

I was very happy on the Holistic Select, the only reason we changed to raw was because my dog has allergies, the Holistic Select is the only food he can eat without getting a runny tummy and no bottom scooting.

I had exactly the same problem with Benson. I started him off on EP puppy, then switched him to Holistic when he grew up, and he always had dandruffy, flaky skin. Eventually I switched to a cheaper kibble as a change in finances meant I couldn't keep feeding EP or anything that expensive.

I tried Uncle Albers and within weeks, his skin was clear and healthy and his coat looked better than it had ever looked.

Eventually I went all raw, rather than a combo of raw and kibble, but Dusty developed a sensitivity to it. While on 100% raw, Bensons coat was awful....dull, dry and harsh. Once I switched back to Uncle Albers, we're back to a lovely coat, clear, clean skin and a dog that looks amazing.

Being that it's 31.00 per 15kg bag, it's a pretty cheap fix, it's also Australian made, and lists meat as it's first ingredient. He likes it, Dusty doesn't. So I'm keeping him on that and trying other kibble for her.

Thanks guys...I have been reading the threads about nutro lamb and rice and it looks like a lot of people had success with dry skin/dandruff when they used that food.

But then another dog food analysis site listed it as 'two stars'...whereas artemis, which i was considering was 'six stars'. It's all very confusing!

Interestingly on the nutro website it advises that you will notice increased shedding of the coat and some dullness before the new coat kicks in with nutro after a few weeks. Maybe this is what is happening since we changed to eagle pack? maybe i should just give eagle pack a bit longer?

I also had trouble with my Dobe, he has had a lot of problems with dull coat and skin problems over the years.

I changed him over to Uncle Albers about 3 weeks ago and I noticed today that his coat is actually starting to shine again!

I must say I am impressed - UA isn't pretty food but it certainly seems to be doing all the right things and at a very reasonable price too!

• 4 weeks later...

I also had that problem with ep holistic anchovy. My dogs hair on his muzzle started falling out and he was very thirsty. Then again I was reintroducing kibble after several months of fresh foods. Still, makes me think the sodium content might be too high that he started losing hair :S I'm now trialling uncle Albers. His stools are fine (on ep they were good too and he had no itching).

This is an interesting read. I am feeding Advance with fresh sardines at the moment and although her coat feels smooth and is shiny, she has dandruff. I use Aloveen too... so I am suspecting that it is the Advance food.

Someone recommended Artemis to me, yet to try it. I am scared to buy a bag (of any new food) and she doesn't like it or she loses her shiny, glossy coat!

Guest belgian.blue

I second this! I had my Chessie pup on EP for a good 2 months, 1 month gradual changeover and 1 months straight EP, I don't think he did one solid poo that whole time and his coat was a bit matt. Switched to Nutro and the gloss came back, the wight came on and I only had to feed half of what I did for EP to keep the weight on, oh and the poos were pretty good. :dancingelephant:

Another Nutro feeder and both my dogs are doing well! Shiny coats on both and nice poops. I've changed foods a fair amount but very happy to now stay on Nutro :dancingelephant: My puppy has been on Large Breed Puppy Nutro for four months and I'm having no trouble keeping a perfect weight on him as Pointers can he really hard to keep in good condition while pups. Also a really good price.

I second this! I had my Chessie pup on EP for a good 2 months, 1 month gradual changeover and 1 months straight EP, I don't think he did one solid poo that whole time and his coat was a bit matt. Switched to Nutro and the gloss came back, the wight came on and I only had to feed half of what I did for EP to keep the weight on, oh and the poos were pretty good. :(

Another Nutro feeder and both my dogs are doing well! Shiny coats on both and nice poops. I've changed foods a fair amount but very happy to now stay on Nutro :o My puppy has been on Large Breed Puppy Nutro for four months and I'm having no trouble keeping a perfect weight on him as Pointers can he really hard to keep in good condition while pups. Also a really good price.

Your dogs look wonderful!

Interesting. I put my dogs on this Eagle Pack a week ago and Amber has some allergy spots happening. I was thinking it was a contact allergy but perhaps it isn't. Poppy is also looking a bit itchy along her back. I've got a bag of Nutro next, so see how they go on that.

My dog is has EP Holistic Anchovy & Sardine. I noticed a couple of weeks ago she was dandruffy and flaky, could be a coincidence with seasonal shed perhaps, but I haven't noticed her like this before. I don't feed the EP every night rather two or three times a week, on the other nights it's usually a BARF patty. However a little while ago I ran out of BARF and used EP for several nights running this is when I noticed a few weeks later an increase in the itchiness and the dandruff. I don't know whether it is the EP but might change to something else next time round.