Dog Treats

shmoo

Now that i have a new treat bag coming my way :rofl: im wondering what treats everybody else uses and finds the best?

my boys dont like schmackos, but they like the liver treats, but they can get expensive when constantly buying them.

does anybody feed hooman meat? like devon pieces or salami or something? im just wondering what i should try for my GSD (mainly, he needs the training the most!) and my other swfs!!

LIVER is the way to go with my dog, as well as Polish cabanossi from the Polish deli only $18/kg - he could live on that I bet!

Liver - dried - yes its good but I buy lambs fry or pigs liver at the butcher, microwave it for 10 minutes and cut it into small cubes - he LOVES it.

$3 gives me heaps, and it lasts for about a week in the fridge.

small pieces of cubed cheese makes them do anything!!!!! But not too much. BBQ chicken is also a "i'll do anything' treat when teaching a new command. Cabanossi is another one I have seen used.

Unfortunatelty - I suppose these can get quite expensive too!

My dogs will eat just about any treat, but their favourites are-

Roast chicken

Cabanosi

Sandwhich Meat (devon etc. I buy the homebrand stuff from coles, heap and lasts)

Schmakos, dried liver, cheese are fine for rewarding recalls when out walking etc., but if I'm training something new, the above treats are what rate best. A sueaky toy mouse with the real fur rates higher than food for my young guy...

hmm im thinking i will try roast chicken and cabanossi!!

hopefully they wont be latched onto my treat bag thou :rofl:

:rofl::party:

Just remember to take any left overs out of your training bag after training!! They get stinky quite quickly.. as I keep finding out :rofl:

Pssst....Shmoo :party:

I assume you have a business name and ABN, if so you might be able to source dried liver for wholesale prices. I found a supplier here in Melb. and the liver worked out to be $1 per 100gm instead of $4.50 per 100gm in the supermarket.

I had to buy a 5kg box, but it was worth it. :rofl:

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

When using food treats for training, only the tiniest bit is neccessary. Less than the size of your little fingernail is fine.

Even the dried liver should not work out too expensive when used sparingly like this, and if you forget to take it out of your treat bag, you wont get a nasty surprise a few days later. :rofl:

Pssst....Shmoo :party:

I assume you have a business name and ABN, if so you might be able to source dried liver for wholesale prices. I found a supplier here in Melb. and the liver worked out to be $1 per 100gm instead of $4.50 per 100gm in the supermarket.

I had to buy a 5kg box, but it was worth it. :rofl:

Mel.

o0o0oo0o yes i do!

can you give me the details of that supplier??

Devon works a treat but cannot be good in any significant quantity. I second the tiny pieces suggestion. - ONE BIG WARNING all good stuff smells. Last time I was down the park half a dozen dogs followed me and wouldn't leave me alone 'cos they could smell the devon. :confused::( :D

For training I use small chopped pieces of cheese, liver treats and cooked sausage from Coles. I vary them, and the doggies love them.

However, for reeaally stressful situations such as the vet or the dog mobile blower, the only thing that works for my dog is doggy chocs from Coles.

These are carob chocs, about the size of a choc melt. They are perfectly safe, and my dogs go completely gaga, but they are very fattening, so they are kept as my secret weapon for highly stressful situations where nothing else will work.

My girl is really terrified of the blower that the mobile dog washer uses, but as she is a golden retriever, she needs to be dried off. So I use the dog chocs to distract her while the dog groomer uses the blower. These treats are the only thing that will distract her sufficiently to stand relatively still for the groomer.

I initially tried other treats and she ignores them, being too stressed to be interested in food. It wasn't until I found these that we could keep her calm enough for the blower.