Registered/ethical Breeder?

Swizzlestick

It is also compulsory for ALL surviving puppies in a litter to be registered (either Main/Limit) and come with pedigree papers.

Yes you are correct however, the question then becomes "when" do they have to be registered? There's a lot of leeway there and I'm pretty sure that you can wait to register a litter for up to 6 months at least in Qld and in Vic it's 18 months! :o

Edited by t-time

As a breeder, you can ask the vet for a cover letter so you don't have to microchip until the pup is registerable with the local council or of a certain weight - some councils in Qld, that is 3 months and in some councils that is 6 months (at desexing time). I know my vet is happy to write a letter for toy breeds (not that I personally have an issue with microchipping early) and also if you have an unwell pup of any size.

So, that would mean in Qld you *could* sell a purebred pup at 8 weeks, not registered and not microchipped - depending on special circumstances of course! :o

WA doesn't require microchipping. I wouldn't support a requirement. The one time a couple of my pups got out and ended out with the Rangers, no one found their chips and called me. I called the rangers to report the escape and was told that they had the pups. My vet did a scan and found one of the chips was near the elbow.

When I have chipped litters I find that many owners are blase' about transferring the chip to their name . . . and my guess is that many many people forget to do change of address on chips when they move. Chips are no panacea and I don't think governments should require them . . . nor codes of ethics.

Are there any states remaining that do not require microchipping?

You're joking, aren't you? :o

No poodlemun people are quite sincere when they say microchipping is not working in the way it was intended.

What sandgrubber has written is the truth.

Of Course we all support microchipping but be aware it is not working because of the reason sand grubber has stated.

I chip everything that comes here - if the owners don't transfer the pet, so what, its still in my name so if it ever goes missing, they will call me. Chips used to be quite mobile but the newer ones are much more reliable. You also need to make sure the person doing the chipping does it properly.

I chip everything that comes here - if the owners don't transfer the pet, so what, its still in my name so if it ever goes missing, they will call me. Chips used to be quite mobile but the newer ones are much more reliable. You also need to make sure the person doing the chipping does it properly.

I recently removed one of my whippets chips and had him redone. The old one had migrated right down to the point of his shoulder. Whilst this area should still be scanned, it would be easier to miss than right where it should be.

There is a type of chip now that once it's inserted somehow adheres to the tissues where it was placed. Not sure of all the details though. We only use the standard Trovan chip where I work.

Very true about the person doing the chip too. It can make a huge difference.

Staranais- I couldn't imagine a clinic ever charging just for scanning a chip for anyone, if they do........well, that's just wrong. :confused:

My dog's chip has moved, the vet nurse almost gave up on finding it. It's right under the arm pit now. I asked the vet about getting another chip put in but they said it's not allowed. Not sure what to do.

Sorry for being off topic.

My dog's chip has moved, the vet nurse almost gave up on finding it. It's right under the arm pit now. I asked the vet about getting another chip put in but they said it's not allowed. Not sure what to do.

If the chip has migrated outside of the scanning zone, which yours has, it is the done thing to place another one. The old one is left there too, and when the paperwork is faxed to which ever registry it is to go on, a cover letter is written explaining the situation and also including the other microchip number as well.

I'm surprised the vet told you this. (Or was it a nurse?)

I'd discuss it with them again, or take him to another clinic to be done.

You could also contact the microchip registry that your dog is already on and ask what they suggest.

Edited by Sir WJ

As a breeder, you can ask the vet for a cover letter so you don't have to microchip until the pup is registerable with the local council or of a certain weight - some councils in Qld, that is 3 months and in some councils that is 6 months (at desexing time). I know my vet is happy to write a letter for toy breeds (not that I personally have an issue with microchipping early) and also if you have an unwell pup of any size.

So, that would mean in Qld you *could* sell a purebred pup at 8 weeks, not registered and not microchipped - depending on special circumstances of course! :confused:

Actually, legislation is quite clear: Animal Management Act 2008

There were some regional councils that had further time to comply with legislation, however this Act came into force July 2009. There was an amendment in November last year allowing vets/licensed implanters to implant micro chips before the original 8 week mark.

The red section below is what I believe you are referring to, however for everyone else. A dog MUST be implanted before 12 weeks.

However I have seen and know of pups from registered breeders for medium to large dogs (including my breed) advertised and not being microchipped prior to sale, leaving it up to the buyer to do. Which is now technically ILLEGAL under current legislation. I know there were breeders when the legislation first came out offering a cash rebate/voucher for a vet to puppy buyers who took the puppy to their vet to be microchipped as when the original legislation came into force, you could not microchip puppies here before 8 weeks of age. (which was a pain in the ASS. In my breed, nothing stopping a puppy from being micro chipped at the 6 week vaccination mark.)

14 Owner must ensure cat or dog is implanted

(1) A person who is or becomes an owner of a cat or dog that is

not implanted with a PPID must ensure the cat or dog is

implanted with a PPID before it is 12 weeks old unless the

person has a reasonable excuse.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

Note—

A cat or dog that is more than 12 weeks old on the commencement of

this section need not be implanted with a PPID unless it is supplied. See

section 13 (Supplier must ensure cat or dog is implanted).

(2) It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence against

subsection (1) for the defendant to prove—

(a) there is a signed veterinary surgeon’s certificate for the

cat or dog stating that implanting it with a PPID is likely

to be a serious risk to the health of the cat or dog;

(b) for a dog, the ownership is to use it as—

(i) a government entity dog; or

(ii) a working dog; or

(iii) another class of dog prescribed under a regulation.

WA doesn't require microchipping. I wouldn't support a requirement. The one time a couple of my pups got out and ended out with the Rangers, no one found their chips and called me. I called the rangers to report the escape and was told that they had the pups. My vet did a scan and found one of the chips was near the elbow.

When I have chipped litters I find that many owners are blase' about transferring the chip to their name . . . and my guess is that many many people forget to do change of address on chips when they move. Chips are no panacea and I don't think governments should require them . . . nor codes of ethics.

Are there any states remaining that do not require microchipping?

You're joking, aren't you? :confused:

No poodlemun people are quite sincere when they say microchipping is not working in the way it was intended.

What sandgrubber has written is the truth.

Of Course we all support microchipping but be aware it is not working because of the reason sand grubber has stated.

I was referring to the comment about "code of ethics", which I took to mean that the poster considers a code of ethics unnecessary!

I have always microchipped my puppies. Just because a system isn't perfect doesn't mean it isn't of some value. You might as well say that there's no point putting an ID tag on the dog's collar, because the tag might fall off, or the collar get lost!

If the chip has migrated outside of the scanning zone, which yours has, it is the done thing to place another one. The old one is left there too, and when the paperwork is faxed to which ever registry it is to go on, a cover letter is written explaining the situation and also including the other microchip number as well.

I'm surprised the vet told you this. (Or was it a nurse?)

I'd discuss it with them again, or take him to another clinic to be done.

You could also contact the microchip registry that your dog is already on and ask what they suggest.

It was the vet that told me. She said it's not allowed (we're in Qld so I'm not sure if the rules here are different.) Thanks for the ideas though. I really hate knowing his chip has moved so much that it might be missed, and it was frustrating being turned away from getting another one by the vet. I think I'll follow it up to check if what the vet said is true, because you said it's the done thing to put another one in and that makes more sense to me if they can link both chips. Thanks.

Do you have to sell purebred pups with papers though?

Can you register them and then not give the new owners the papers?

Also, while everyone is talking about chipping...I think I can feel my dogs chip up on top of one her shoulder blades - is this normal?

She goes in for a vax next month so I will get her scanned to see if that is what it is.

Also, while everyone is talking about chipping...I think I can feel my dogs chip up on top of one her shoulder blades - is this normal?

She goes in for a vax next month so I will get her scanned to see if that is what it is.

In NSW all puppies MUST be sold with registration papers, either main or limit and by law they MUST be microchipped BEFORE being sold. Not sure about the exact rules for the other states.

Ethical breeders in all states have no reason to not provide papers with the puppies they sell. It was common for puppies to be sold without papers before the limit register was introduced but now it is available I cannot think of one legitimate reason that a breeder could have for selling puppies without papers.

If you don't get papers to prove the parentage and health status of a purebred puppy, you may as well have bought a mongrel. The registration papers are the only guarantee that the puppy is what it is supposed to be.

In NSW all puppies MUST be sold with registration papers, either main or limit and by law they MUST be microchipped BEFORE being sold. Not sure about the exact rules for the other states.

Ethical breeders in all states have no reason to not provide papers with the puppies they sell. It was common for puppies to be sold without papers before the limit register was introduced but now it is available I cannot think of one legitimate reason that a breeder could have for selling puppies without papers.

If you don't get papers to prove the parentage and health status of a purebred puppy, you may as well have bought a mongrel. The registration papers are the only guarantee that the puppy is what it is supposed to be.

Good post! - Same applies in Victoria.