Training Treats

I normally use fairly small treats for training - at the moment I've got bite-sized liver pieces, though I have used carob buttons and chicken jerkey in the past. I'm currently teaching Akira to beg, but because the treats are so small, she keeps accidentally biting my fingers as she does the trick because I actually need to hold the treat rather than place it in my palm.

Does anyone have some recommendations of a good training treat that I can easily get in Adelaide that is a little longer so my fingers won't get in the way?

You could buy a luncheon roll from Coles or Woolies and chop it up into whatever size pieces you like. It's cheap, soft and smelly, and dogs generally love it.

I would also be tempted to teach her not to put her teeth on you when she takes food from your fingers, Micha is soooo gentle when he takes treats he takes them with his lips not his teeth :confused:

What Huski said!

I use devon roll (in perth they call it polony, so i don't know what they call it in other places) and I cut to size. I also taught Z to catch - if he's really really excited, he will sometimes catch my fingers so it's better to teach him to catch it rather than take it from me. :confused:

What Huski said!

I use devon roll (in perth they call it polony, so i don't know what they call it in other places) and I cut to size. I also taught Z to catch - if he's really really excited, he will sometimes catch my fingers so it's better to teach him to catch it rather than take it from me. :confused:

Catching is the default here too! Makes the game faster :confused:

What Huski said!

Oh Fritz. I had it for one of her training sessions and she spent half her time trying to get treats rather than working because she loved them so much.

I'll try and teach her to catch - I'm sure she'll find that a lot of fun. I think that's her problem too in that she gets too excited when we're training because normally she's a lot more gentle!

I use to love polony and tomato sauce sandwiches until I found out polony has offal in it :eek:

What?? Really??? EWWWWWW.... I used to love them too :eek: Haven't eaten them since I was a kid though luckily!

Dogs love it though :eek:

I use a dog roll called Tucker Time is preservative free and is made with human grade meats and can be used as a complete diet (they also do a kibble) i find if i slice it up then cook it in the oven for twenty minutes it seals the edges so when i chop it into little bits it doesnt turn to mush in my treat bag the cooking also makes it smell great. When i am going to throw treats i just chop them slightly bigger. :dancingelephant:

I cook sausages and chop them up for dog training. Or cook a sheep liver in the microwave and chop that into small pieces. But that tends to make your hand smell bad and can upset your doggies tummy if they have too much (learnt that the hard way!!). I also use those free sample bags of dog biscuites as treats, just cause its something different than my dogs normally get.

I think those luncheon roll things are a bit gross and make my hands all smelly. If it is hot, all the fats melt in bag and the pieces go all gooey. They are also not the best nutrition wise.

I used to use tucketime but stopped for the above reasons. I've also used cubes of cooked chicken, but it does get messy and you will be a beacon for all the dogs in the vicinity!

at the moment i am using something called puppy treats which are tiny biscuits with tiny pieces of liver in them. My pup seems to enjoy them very much and they are very neat and easy to give. They arr pretty new, made by the same company as vets best rewards (liver treats) I htink.

The price is quite reasonable $4 for a largish bag so lasts about a week for me.

i am lucky to have a greedy labrador who even thinks her dry biccies are tasty though!!!!

I guess if your dog is more fussy you will need some higher value treats (in my puppy's mind all food is of the same value- edilble lol)

Edited by aussielover