Pet Insurance Companies

Bonnie Pup

:mad:(:mad

I've paid premiums for several years, and only tried to make my first claim this year. The company is refusing to pay and I feel they are being very unfair. The PDS doesn't exclude the condition in my opinion, but they are saying that it does. But I'm tired of fighting them about it.

I'm now weighing up the costs of changing companies VS the cost of just not having insurance and having a savings account to pay for vet bills.

If I change companies, there will be costs involved in doubling up insurance for all pets for a month (so there's no lapse in illness cover) and cruciate ligament exams, and there will be some exclusions for past conditions.

If I stop paying for insurance I don't have to worry about paperwork and premiums and excesses, the PDS and wondering if a claim will be paid. Since I hardly ever claim I would have been well ahead by now if I'd done this from the start. But I like the peace of mind from having insurance.

Or do I just stay with the same company knowing that claims might not be paid? Maybe most of the pet insurance companies are similar and I might not be gaining much by changing companies?

How do you decide what to do?

Edited by Bonnie Pup

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PF I have pm'd you

megan Yes I've appealed it, they won't budge on it.

Aidan I'm a disciplined saver although I'm only a student... But if I know it's for my animals I will save.

Edited by Bonnie Pup

Personally, I'd stick with the insurance. If something happens on a weekend you can fork out a few thousand dollars easily. It would be hard for a student to save that sort of money and would take a fair while - and you don't know what could happen during that period.

Changing companies would be hard because of the pre-existing conditions - that is why I am sticking with my current insurer even though they took eons to pay. I would change companies if I thought they were dodgy though - no use throwing good money after bad.

i am getting a new puppy and i am looking into the whole insurance side of things and i am with Medibank and they seem pretty good and i get a 10% discount cause i am already a member BUT saying that i have heard from our future VET that alot of companies do reject claims and sometimes better off not paying for it and saving.

Although if you came across a $5000 more operation i sure couldn't pay for it so i would HOPE my insurance would meaning at least there is a backup plan with insurance and if they can't help you either then at least you have exhausted your options...

I know doesn't sound great but hey gives you backup perhaps. My opinion only.

Personally, I'd stick with the insurance. If something happens on a weekend you can fork out a few thousand dollars easily. It would be hard for a student to save that sort of money and would take a fair while - and you don't know what could happen during that period.

Changing companies would be hard because of the pre-existing conditions - that is why I am sticking with my current insurer even though they took eons to pay. I would change companies if I thought they were dodgy though - no use throwing good money after bad.

thanks for the advice. Yes it would take ages to save up...

I wonder how much you should have have saved up to feel peace of mind that you don't need insurance?

For me, it would be a few thousand dollars at least - or a credit card with a nice, big limit.

To give you an idea, my boy had a terrible case of gastro a while back. He couldn't even drink water. It presented itself at 5am on a Saturday, so off to emergency we went. The problem with gastro is that the symptoms are a lot like an obstruction, so he had x-rays. Stayed over night. Appeared to get better so was released. Monday am he was bad again. More x-rays. Nothing except extreme inflammation showed up. Eventually he was cut open to see if there was an obstruction as x-rays don't show everything. No obstruction was present and he was put on anti-b's. TRansferred to the hospital so that he could be on the drip and observed overnight.

The bill? Just shy of $4000!

Edited by megan_

Megan... were you covered by insurance? or had to foot the bill?

Insurance - I only was out of pocket $100 (the excess).

With insurance though you foot the bill at the time and then claim it back, unless your vet agrees to claim directly (vast majority don't do this). So it is worth having an emergency credit card for this situation.

With insurance though you foot the bill at the time and then claim it back, unless your vet agrees to claim directly (vast majority don't do this). So it is worth having an emergency credit card for this situation.

megan would you please PM me the name of the insurer if you're happy with them?

Have you taken it to the Insurance Ombudsman?

I had a problem and they said they would fight it for me.

Not yet, but I know that's an option. I just don't feel like I have the energy to fight it anymore. I think I'd rather just change companies or save up, I don't want to deal with this anymore it's too stressful. Shouldn't have to go to the ombudsman just to have a claim paid.

Did you get your claim paid after you went to the ombudsman?

So i understand the insurance thing properly....

You go to the VET, they say it will be $4000, you pay $4000? then take the bill to the insurance and they pay you back $3900? that correct?

After seeing so many claims knocked back or challenged and then watched people get meagre refunds. I think I would opt for a credit card (pet emergency only) rather than fork out for insurance. But then I couldn't be fagged jumping through the Insurance companies hoops (basically I'm lazy or impatient...and I hate paperwork).

I've become very disappointed in the Insurance companies after watching the hassles of others.

thats fair enough.... but....

say $30 a month, so thats $360 a year for the idea of saving yourself say thousands of dollars.... its just a backup plan in my head.... if the company doesn't claim it then yes use your credit card and be thankful you have it but if they do claim it then HAPPY DAYS...

I think if that many people are having problems every one of those claims should be going to the ombudsman.

It's not ok that 10+ companies all underwritten by Hollard Ins. Think it's ok to make mega $$ out of pet insurance and not have to pay claims.

I am a consumer of Pet Insurance and you can bet that I would be taking them to the ombudsman if it were me, it would be the same if it was my own private health insurance- don't let them get away with it people!!!