How To Get Weight Off

i have a 10 year old staffy kelpie x who has always had difficulties with weight. she gets one meal a day at 2 pm which consists of 150 g chicken breast (no skin or fat) or small tin of salmon, and a cup of veges (whatever i have - carrots, potato, pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli, zuchini) and 1/2 cup of pasta or rice.

she used to go for 2 x 20 mins walks a day, but lately has had lots of difficulty with arthritis in one leg and not sure what she has done to the other, but has been limping, so walks have been few and far between - only just really started with 150 mt walks.

she currently weighs 22.2 kg and would really like to get her down to 17 ish and i think this will really help with arthritis etc.

i dont feel she is eating too much and with her limited exersize at the moment maybe need to cut down a little - any suggestions on how to get a few more kgs off her. thanks

ps forgot to add she cant have red meat and have started her on flaxseed oil and fish oil which appears to be working well

Edited by sllebasi

:champagne: she doesn't need pasta or rice - that can go straight away :champagne: perhaps take her to a chiro or vet, get her checked out, perhaps get her comfortable, and increase the exercise ? Anywhere you can take her swimming?

Swimming sounds like a great idea for her. And I also agree that she could go without the added pasta or rice.

Has she seen the vet recently? If so, what do they say?

Does she get raw bones at all? You need to add soft raw bone that she can consume, chicken and turkey necks are good. No dinosaur bones with the marrow as that is way too high in fat. I agree that she doesn't need the rice or pasta. I would cut out potatoes but add sweet potatoes instead. Raw carrots are great as well.

i have a 10 year old staffy kelpie x who has always had difficulties with weight. she gets one meal a day at 2 pm which consists of 150 g chicken breast (no skin or fat) or small tin of salmon, and a cup of veges (whatever i have - carrots, potato, pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli, zuchini) and 1/2 cup of pasta or rice.

she used to go for 2 x 20 mins walks a day, but lately has had lots of difficulty with arthritis in one leg and not sure what she has done to the other, but has been limping, so walks have been few and far between - only just really started with 150 mt walks.

she currently weighs 22.2 kg and would really like to get her down to 17 ish and i think this will really help with arthritis etc.

i dont feel she is eating too much and with her limited exersize at the moment maybe need to cut down a little - any suggestions on how to get a few more kgs off her. thanks

ps forgot to add she cant have red meat and have started her on flaxseed oil and fish oil which appears to be working well

would love to take her swimming and she would love it too :laugh: but i dont have access to a car and no swimming areas around here (will wait till wet season and then she can go into creek)

vet just suggested to reduce her feed and walk her more, will reduce chicken by another 1/4 and see how that goes and that will get her close to the 1% of body weight. thanks for the suggestions on no pasta/rice or potatoes - had been wondering about the potatoes

Remove the pasta and rice - all it does is add weight... Increase the veges to bulk it out more...

Raw bones are great to keep dogs busy between meals without adding to many calories.

Exercise - increase it a bit by throwing a ball for the dog or more walks..

I would not cut the food back anymore. But that is just me..

• 2 weeks later...

I stripped the weight off Aly by feeding her the Barf Kangaroo Patties. Once she was ideal weight that vet said she now has chicken Barf patties

She has also developed arthritis due to cortisone over the years,I do gentle walks with her and ball play in the yard.

Plus she has fish oil evveryday...

We have lost 500 g in the past week, have taken pasta and rice off the menu for now, and we have managed to go for some slow walks up to 1km round trip which is a massive improvement to what we could walk two weeks ago. she has either chicken breast or salmon plus her usual veges of a night, will give her chicken necks next week for something different. am very happy with progress so far.

move the meal to first thing in the morning, not in the afternoon. Energy to work off the calories and wont sit on the food letting it simply be used as storage

Some one on DOL told me about cooked mashed pumpkin,great filler,I either put cooked liver with or sardines.I had to buy human sardines as they would not touch the "cat variety"fussy little sods.Have you also looked into Glucosomine & chondroiten for her joints & cartilidge?

You are doing well

haved moved her meals to closer to 1.30/2.00 pm for now, will slowly reduce that further so that its earlier in the day - will help immensly when our summer hits us. used to make chicken stock iceblocks for her so will now give her meal in morning and then the iceblock in the afternoon - sounds good enough for me :laugh:

she is also just on the flaxseed and fish oil at moment - very very happy with them for now. at the stage where i want to try and drop her down a capsule a day to a more maintainence level of maybe 3 of each per day or even 2?????? will wait and see i guess on how she progresses.

what is a reasonable weight loss for a dog - i know people its about 1 kg a week - is 500 gr a little too much too quick?????