Belgian Or Aussie For Trialling?

Earthdog

I think it also depends on how you are training your obedience. I know someone on this forum who has a WL Malinois and plans to compete in obedience with him. He is very drivey and a lovely boy (lots of us would love to steal him for agility :laugh: ) and the way she is training him I think he will be spectacular at obedience and certainly not bored as he gets lots of work and stimulation and exercise. If you want to get the kind of attention and behaviour that you see in the SchH obedience routines, you also need a good level of drive.

I agree. IMO if your dog finds heelwork boring that is a training (motivation) problem not a problem with the breed or dog itself.

Hey

I have aussies........and as the saying goes you can't stop at one :laugh:

Mine compete in all disciplines, conformation, obedience, agility and herding.........if you want a

great allrounder aussies are the dog for you :laugh:

The are also really good at "hanging out"... but check breeders out, because as in all breeds there are some not so good ones out there although they are few and far between luckily :laugh:

Cheers

Karen

and the aussies

CH Shartooz A Knights Tale CD AD JD GT HT

CH Sutter's Special Edition (IMP NZ)

Cuebiyar Noplacelikehome CCD AD PT

Shartooz Bells N Whistles

Both breeds are super smart & many individuals may not be suited to obedience trialling because they find the regime boring..... particularly heel work.

I think this should be changed to say "may end up with an owner who makes obedience boring".

I think heel work is the most exciting, high energy training where you can aim for a very high level of drive and precision.

Both breeds are super smart & many individuals may not be suited to obedience trialling because they find the regime boring..... particularly heel work.

I think this should be changed to say "may end up with an owner who makes obedience boring".

I think heel work is the most exciting, high energy training where you can aim for a very high level of drive and precision.

Totally agree :laugh:

I don't find heel work all that exciting, but it is nice to know some people do :laugh:

I think it is great there is a variety of sports to choose from :laugh:

Although I am not training running contacts, this video takes my breath away - WOW wish I could train for that sort of speed!

I stand by my statement that doing obedience alone is not enough work for most good working line belgians. They want to really work. Some people get lucky (or unlucky) and get calm WL dogs that might cope with only a walk and an obedience training session per day, but I feel it's borderline irresponsible to suggest a person get one simply for obedience work.

I agree.

I know what type of Belgian I would have and which breeder I'd go to. kat99, I've lived with 7 Belgians over the years, my current boy is getting on. He is very laid back. I have previously done obedience and agility with a Belgian.

Are Aussies similar in temperament to Border Collies?

I know what type of Belgian I would have and which breeder I'd go to. kat99, I've lived with 7 Belgians over the years, my current boy is getting on. He is very laid back. I have previously done obedience and agility with a Belgian.

Are Aussies similar in temperament to Border Collies?

well then , i think you would be set for belgains , just aussies you need to reserach on , have fun finding the right dog isnt easy