Your Raw/natural Diet

I got some liver last night to feed the dogs this morning, I just cut the piece in half and gave it to them like that....they had a good chew on that but seemed to like it.

They also had chicken mince, chicken necks, Omega Blend, an egg and tin of sardines, Vitamin C and Missing Link.

Morning snack was a marrow bone, Lukas is loving his, Spice won't touch it.

They are both a bit itchy, is that normal when changing the food or have I hit a snag and their new diet doesn't agree with them?

Trying to get some red meat mince to mix with their chicken. I am trying to find a source for Turkey to give them a change now and then.

Oh, our supermarket had lamb necks but they were cut into small portion sizes, about an inch long, I worry that the dogs would swallow the whole piece with their size, is it normal for them to be cut like that, or should I see if they can save me some without cutting them?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about to try the Canine Country Barf with Orbit. We got a pretty good deal in terms of price, though it's still a bit expensive to feed a giant!

Prior to this he was eating 500g horse or turkey meat for breakfast and then about 1kg turkey necks or horse brisket for dinner. Once a week he'd get a couple of eggs and small amounts of liver. I also use a multivitamin powder weekly too. He has allergies so its not easy to vary his meat. He looks great though, on this.

The Barf we're getting is roo based with the fruit and veges. I used to make Barf myself a couple of years ago, but making up enough to last even just a month was an all day process and just way too hard. I just bought myself 90 days worth of Barf and 45days of Turkey necks, which averaged out at about $140 a month or $35 a week. Not too bad though a bit more than I have been spending.

I got some liver last night to feed the dogs this morning, I just cut the piece in half and gave it to them like that....they had a good chew on that but seemed to like it.

They also had chicken mince, chicken necks, Omega Blend, an egg and tin of sardines, Vitamin C and Missing Link.

Morning snack was a marrow bone, Lukas is loving his, Spice won't touch it.

They are both a bit itchy, is that normal when changing the food or have I hit a snag and their new diet doesn't agree with them?

Trying to get some red meat mince to mix with their chicken. I am trying to find a source for Turkey to give them a change now and then.

Oh, our supermarket had lamb necks but they were cut into small portion sizes, about an inch long, I worry that the dogs would swallow the whole piece with their size, is it normal for them to be cut like that, or should I see if they can save me some without cutting them?

It might be better to introduce each new thing one at a time over a couple of weeks to let their system adjust to the new diet. And give some things on separate days - e.g. I give an egg on different days to fish. Also be careful giving too much liver at a time as it can give them the runs.

Skin/coat problems can be part of the detoxification which occurs with some dogs when you change them to a raw diet, as can other things like mucousy stools, bad breath, dirty ears.

I buy turkey wing pieces, drumsticks and mince when they are on special in Woolworths - which is quite often. I asked on here a while ago where to buy turkey necks and got some relatively close places. Haven't had a chance to get there yet so need to look it up again. I wouldn't give lamb necks cut into small pieces either but I get whole ones at Woolworths or Coles. You could ask your supermarket if they have any whole ones. Supermarkets also have packs of lamb offcuts - they are a bit fatty but apparently dogs need more fat than us.

Not sure where in Melbourne you are but we get a lot of the dogs bones from Tasman meats in Oakleigh. Great for meaty lamb necks.

There are quite a lot in Melbourne and they are cheap http://www.tasmanretail.com.au/LOCATIONS/LocVic.aspx

I go to the South Melbourne markets on the weekend after 2 and they have heaps of vegies bagged up and discounted.

:thumbsup:

Not sure where in Melbourne you are but we get a lot of the dogs bones from Tasman meats in Oakleigh. Great for meaty lamb necks.

There are quite a lot in Melbourne and they are cheap http://www.tasmanretail.com.au/LOCATIONS/LocVic.aspx

I go to the South Melbourne markets on the weekend after 2 and they have heaps of vegies bagged up and discounted.

:thumbsup:

They have big chicken frames too - I think the back part is still attached. There's one at Berwick, which would be closer.

:laugh:

They have big chicken frames too - I think the back part is still attached. There's one at Berwick, which would be closer.

Yep they are whoppers! When I first pulled one out I said to my OH, Geez someones been on the gear! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

Yep they are whoppers! When I first pulled one out I said to my OH, Geez someones been on the gear! :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Great for giant breed dogs!

I started feeding raw some time last year and all was going well till Ody had his accident(hit by car) and for the life of me, I couldn't seem to get it right after that. But a friend of mine feeds the Dr Billinghurst Barf Diet and she gave me the books to read. So after alot of reading, I have now got them on home made Barf patties and alot of RMB. 60% rmb and 40% barf pattie. Although I do have to twig it from time to time, they are now looking good again :laugh: .

WOuld never go back to biscuits, to much shite in them!

I'm so glad of this post - it couldn't have come at a better time! My two have always done well on tinned and kibble, about 7 months ago I tried improving their diet (chicken necks, fresh bones / meat etc) but it didn't agree with Jessie and we resorted back to the usual.

However, Fred the bassets skin has taken turn for the worse. He is constantly itchy. So I decided to leave Jess on what works (she is 12) but I am revamping Fred's diet. I found an "elimination diet" online and thought I'd give it a go to see if possible its a food allergy thats making him itchy, but I think I might be getting it wrong now! It stated to cut out the typical meats (Beef, chicken, and lamb) and to introduce roo and fish. Then to bulk up the meal with fruit, lots of veggies and small amounts of pasta / grains. I've only been doing this 5 days so too early to notice a difference but I'm wondering if I should be giving pasta or rice at all? And if I don't what do I bulk his meal up with? He is 27kg and eats a fair amount and now I feel stumped for food that will fit in with this trial?

I'm so glad of this post - it couldn't have come at a better time! My two have always done well on tinned and kibble, about 7 months ago I tried improving their diet (chicken necks, fresh bones / meat etc) but it didn't agree with Jessie and we resorted back to the usual.

However, Fred the bassets skin has taken turn for the worse. He is constantly itchy. So I decided to leave Jess on what works (she is 12) but I am revamping Fred's diet. I found an "elimination diet" online and thought I'd give it a go to see if possible its a food allergy thats making him itchy, but I think I might be getting it wrong now! It stated to cut out the typical meats (Beef, chicken, and lamb) and to introduce roo and fish. Then to bulk up the meal with fruit, lots of veggies and small amounts of pasta / grains. I've only been doing this 5 days so too early to notice a difference but I'm wondering if I should be giving pasta or rice at all? And if I don't what do I bulk his meal up with? He is 27kg and eats a fair amount and now I feel stumped for food that will fit in with this trial?

I wouldn't give rice or pasta on an elimination diet. Grains themselves could be the cause of his itchiness.

And I could be wrong (I've never done one) but isn't the idea to introduce a novel protein source for a period of time (at least a week or two) then to add in one new thing at a time (slowly) to work at what is causing the problem? I would think that if you've only been feeding it for 5 days that you should only be feeding ONE protein source -ie roo + perhaps 1 bland filler -ie sweet potato or pumpkin.

Why do you feel that you need to bulk up the diet at all though :laugh:

Is your dog over-weight or used to having larger meals than what you are feeding? If his weight is good and the meal sizes are okay then I'd simply be feeding meat and bones for now (single protein source if it's an elimination diet) and perhaps adding a small amount of pureed veg if needed for fibre (starting with only one or two types of veg at the most for now, you can increase the variety later on if you need to/want to) :bolt:

I wouldn't give rice or pasta on an elimination diet. Grains themselves could be the cause of his itchiness.

And I could be wrong (I've never done one) but isn't the idea to introduce a novel protein source for a period of time (at least a week or two) then to add in one new thing at a time (slowly) to work at what is causing the problem? I would think that if you've only been feeding it for 5 days that you should only be feeding ONE protein source -ie roo + perhaps 1 bland filler -ie sweet potato or pumpkin.

Why do you feel that you need to bulk up the diet at all though :laugh:

Is your dog over-weight or used to having larger meals than what you are feeding? If his weight is good and the meal sizes are okay then I'd simply be feeding meat and bones for now (single protein source if it's an elimination diet) and perhaps adding a small amount of pureed veg if needed for fibre (starting with only one or two types of veg at the most for now, you can increase the variety later on if you need to/want to) :o

Hiya,

It said to stop all beef,chicken and lamb and use one or two novel ones as the meat in his meals (Fred has never been fed roo or fish) and then after three weeks to reintroduce the usual meats one by one to see which could be the problem.

I guess I felt the need to bulk because at the moment it looks like mostly what he is getting is just veggies – he must be starving! :bolt: I’ve been alternating between a tin of tuna or roo mince to go with the veggies and pasta and it seems so very little? Fred is definitely a good weight – no excess at all.

What should I be feeding in terms of meat and bones if I need to avoid beef/chicken and lamb for now? And sorry if it seems a silly question, but I’ve noticed a lot of people state pureed veg – why pureed? Not just raw or cooked?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

What should I be feeding in terms of meat and bones if I need to avoid beef/chicken and lamb for now? And sorry if it seems a silly question, but I’ve noticed a lot of people state pureed veg – why pureed? Not just raw or cooked?

Roo bones (meat on for preference) and whole fish if you've decided to go with the roo & fish. The thing is dogs can't break down the cell walls in vege so unless it's crushed for them they can get very little out of it, which is why people say pureed. I know some vege cell walls break down when cooked but I couldn't even begin to figure out which ones.

Basically 2% of his body weight per day is about the right amount of food and it doesn't have to include any starches/carbs if you don't want it to. Personally I'd ditch the pasta/rice/grains immediately and if you really want to "bulk up" his meals - not that a roo tail needs all that much bulking :laugh: - then give him sweet potato or pumpkin but you just never know, it could be the vege causing the problem if it's not a new thing to him.

Give him bones of a type that he can consume completely so this all depends on the dog.

Roo bones (meat on for preference) and whole fish if you've decided to go with the roo & fish. The thing is dogs can't break down the cell walls in vege so unless it's crushed for them they can get very little out of it, which is why people say pureed. I know some vege cell walls break down when cooked but I couldn't even begin to figure out which ones.

Basically 2% of his body weight per day is about the right amount of food and it doesn't have to include any starches/carbs if you don't want it to. Personally I'd ditch the pasta/rice/grains immediately and if you really want to "bulk up" his meals - not that a roo tail needs all that much bulking :bolt: - then give him sweet potato or pumpkin but you just never know, it could be the vege causing the problem if it's not a new thing to him.

Give him bones of a type that he can consume completely so this all depends on the dog.

Thanks Sandra, that was really helpful :laugh:

What should I be feeding in terms of meat and bones if I need to avoid beef/chicken and lamb for now? And sorry if it seems a silly question, but I've noticed a lot of people state pureed veg – why pureed? Not just raw or cooked?

Basically 2% of his body weight per day is about the right amount of food and it doesn't have to include any starches/carbs if you don't want it to. Personally I'd ditch the pasta/rice/grains immediately and if you really want to "bulk up" his meals - not that a roo tail needs all that much bulking :laugh: - then give him sweet potato or pumpkin but you just never know, it could be the vege causing the problem if it's not a new thing to him.

Yep, what Sandra said :bolt:

Try roo tail or roo spine bones and (if your dog will eat it) whole fish. If you need to feed canned fish then sardines and mackeral are your best bet.

Roo is pretty lean so you can get away with feeding a bit more than some other meats.

If this were my dog I would try something along the lines of; roo tail or whole fish for breakfast (around 40-50% of daily allowance), then for dinner roo meat or fish (40% of daily allowance) with pureed raw veg (approx 10-20% of daily allowance) -say pumpkin/sweet potato mix to start with, then perhaps add a bit of greens as you go, one thing at a time. If he was acting like he was starving I'd up the veg so that he feels a bit fuller.

I'd then look at adding things like natural yogurt and perhaps some omega oil after a few weeks to see if he tollerates them, maybe some offal or eggs too (again- one at a time and slowly). Then if that's all good start with other meats -one week at a time- to work out where your issue is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by SecretKei

What should I be feeding in terms of meat and bones if I need to avoid beef/chicken and lamb for now? And sorry if it seems a silly question, but I've noticed a lot of people state pureed veg – why pureed? Not just raw or cooked?

Basically 2% of his body weight per day is about the right amount of food and it doesn't have to include any starches/carbs if you don't want it to. Personally I'd ditch the pasta/rice/grains immediately and if you really want to "bulk up" his meals - not that a roo tail needs all that much bulking :rofl: - then give him sweet potato or pumpkin but you just never know, it could be the vege causing the problem if it's not a new thing to him.

Yep, what Sandra said :o

Try roo tail or roo spine bones and (if your dog will eat it) whole fish. If you need to feed canned fish then sardines and mackeral are your best bet.

Roo is pretty lean so you can get away with feeding a bit more than some other meats.

If this were my dog I would try something along the lines of; roo tail or whole fish for breakfast (around 40-50% of daily allowance), then for dinner roo meat or fish (40% of daily allowance) with pureed raw veg (approx 10-20% of daily allowance) -say pumpkin/sweet potato mix to start with, then perhaps add a bit of greens as you go, one thing at a time. If he was acting like he was starving I'd up the veg so that he feels a bit fuller.

I'd then look at adding things like natural yogurt and perhaps some omega oil after a few weeks to see if he tollerates them, maybe some offal or eggs too (again- one at a time and slowly). Then if that's all good start with other meats -one week at a time- to work out where your issue is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you :)

Sorry - more questions ;) - whole fish? Such as? and what about the bones?

The sweet potato or pumpkin - does that need to be pureed or cook?

And lastly, the egg - is that raw and both the white and yolk?

Sorry - more questions :o - whole fish? Such as? and what about the bones?

Whole fish such as whatever you can buy and whatever is a sensible price for you :rofl: Yep - bones and all. Personally if I had a dog with issues I'd use a white fish rather than an oily one but as you boy's fine with canned sardines (isn't he?) that shouldn't be a worry. Anything raw (so not smoked fish) is fine. Mine don't like salmon heads (too many eyes mummy ;) ) but many do.

Egg - raw and the whole thing including the shell. Stick the dog outside and hand him the egg - great entertainment for people and dog.

Can't help with the sweet potato/pumpkin, I don't use it - but I'd say at a guess cooked and mashed would help fill the gap (which is all it's for)

Sorry - more questions ;) - whole fish? Such as? and what about the bones?

Whole fish such as whatever you can buy and whatever is a sensible price for you :rofl: Yep - bones and all. Personally if I had a dog with issues I'd use a white fish rather than an oily one but as you boy's fine with canned sardines (isn't he?) that shouldn't be a worry. Anything raw (so not smoked fish) is fine. Mine don't like salmon heads (too many eyes mummy :o ) but many do.

Egg - raw and the whole thing including the shell. Stick the dog outside and hand him the egg - great entertainment for people and dog.

Can't help with the sweet potato/pumpkin, I don't use it - but I'd say at a guess cooked and mashed would help fill the gap (which is all it's for)

Entire raw egg including shell :) ;)

What is it that is so good for them in an egg?

Thank you :rofl:

Sorry - more questions :laugh: - whole fish? Such as? and what about the bones?

Whole fish such as whatever you can buy and whatever is a sensible price for you :thumbsup: Yep - bones and all. Personally if I had a dog with issues I'd use a white fish rather than an oily one but as you boy's fine with canned sardines (isn't he?) that shouldn't be a worry. Anything raw (so not smoked fish) is fine. Mine don't like salmon heads (too many eyes mummy :laugh: ) but many do.

Entire raw egg including shell :laugh::)

What is it that is so good for them in an egg?

Protein and other goodies (sorry, not too technical :confused: ) in the yolk/white and calcium in the shell. Feeding the whole keeps it balanced. You can try scrambled eggs occasionally too - most dogs really like that.

My dog wont eat a whole egg 'as is' so I tend to bend it up in the rocket blender shell and all then mix it in with his meal.

Re the sweet potato/pumpkin, cooked and mashed is fine, raw and pureed is better. Raw will provide more 'roughage' in the diet and the dog will get more out of it but cooked may be easier on the gut. As you're only really feeding it as a filler and not a main source of nutrients it shouldn't really matter too much to begin with.