Wandering Dog Update 14/12/2010

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the wonderful caring DOLer's out there trying to catch the poor shepherd, a big thank you, for your efforts, and I hope it is a good outcome in the end.

lablove

I haven't read all of this. Dumb question probably but is someone going there regularly with food? Does the dog associate seeing people with getting food?

If you scan through the photos, you'll see a pile of commercially dumped mushrooms he has to snack on. I've spotted him on 3 consequtive days & although it was only a very brief glimpse, he looks in pretty good nick to me.

Just spoke to Mark cause OH is too busy this morning. Mark's going out there around 10:30. He has no internet to get the photos, so did a descriptive run through of the territory with him. Had a good chat about the dog, his nature, his "kennel" etc, etc. He's got a Staffy that's really friendly, so he's going to see if that gets him in for a play. He asked about food, so told him about the pile of mushies. Sounds like if the Staffy can't get him in, he'll set a trap next to the boy's "kennel". That's all I can tell you for now folks. :grouphug:

My dogs eat most things but I cant see even them being remotely interested in raw mushrooms. I am surprised no one has been taking actual dog food with them when they go looking for this boy. You know where he sleeps. Can I suggest you leave a big pile of dry food there and perhaps a bucket with clean water?

Edited by Kirislin

I think if everytime it saw someone wandering around there trying to get near it, it got a feed, it might start looking forward to seeing them. I get the impression quite a few people have been out there looking for it, do any of them regularly take dog food? Otherwise why would a frightened distrustful dog let any of you near it?

I get the impression you are thinking about trapping it in a cage, or by its leg, drugging it, but why not try befriending it with food. I dont know if that has actually been tried as yet. I see no mention of any of you taking food to the dog. :grouphug:

Edited by Kirislin

I think if everytime it saw someone wandering around there trying to get near it, it got a feed, it might start looking forward to seeing them. I get the impression quite a few people have been out there looking for it, do any of them regularly take dog food?.

I took food on 3 occasions and it didnt help. also took really smelly food on one and it didnt help. I left the food behind when I didnt catch him.

and there is a creek and with all the rain streaming through it, the water is clean enough. :grouphug:

I'm not saying it will instantly come bounding up to you for a feed. But if you regularly leave food it might get over its fear. Do you know if it ate the food you left?

Twice it didnt, and once the food was scattered around and some was gone, but I think it could of been mice/rats that ate it judging by the bits left and the trail.

I think if everytime it saw someone wandering around there trying to get near it, it got a feed, it might start looking forward to seeing them. I get the impression quite a few people have been out there looking for it, do any of them regularly take dog food? Otherwise why would a frightened distrustful dog let any of you near it?

I get the impression you are thinking about trapping it in a cage, or by its leg, drugging it, but why not try befriending it with food. I dont know if that has actually been tried as yet. I see no mention of any of you taking food to the dog. :grouphug:

I took out my treats which have a very good reputation & he was giving me the big miss. This boy isn't interested in people regardless of whether they've got food or not. On the 3 occasions I saw him, he was in pretty good nick, so I knew he was doing OK. And he certainly wasn't frightened of me. Just looked up when he saw me & sauntered up the back to wait until we left. In any event, further discussion along these lines may be moot if Mark can get him in with his Staffy, so let's see what happens when he reports in. I'd rather leave it to a professional to get this bloke in.

I took out my treats which have a very good reputation & he was giving me the big miss. This boy isn't interested in people regardless of whether they've got food or not. On the 3 occasions I saw him, he was in pretty good nick, so I knew he was doing OK. And he certainly wasn't frightened of me. Just looked up when he saw me & sauntered up the back to wait until we left. In any event, further discussion along these lines may be moot if Mark can get him in with his Staffy, so let's see what happens when he reports in. I'd rather leave it to a professional to get this bloke in.

Absolutely. There is a lot going on behind the scenes Krislin, and everyone is working their arses off. You are the only one who has questioned our rescue attempt.

Edited by Chewbacca

The people involved in this are very experienced dog people. Of course they are taking food with them and leaving it. Why should they have to say it? It's logical and only an fool wouldn't think of doing it. He's a stray and they are terribly worried about his health and safety.

I know this area quite well. You are looking at pretty rough terrain and loads of nasty weedy brush. Hard to sneak up onto a wary animal. We are not talking fenced parkland here. It's a large enough area for him to have more than one hidey hole and a few km's of space to move around. Also the business in the area are industrial or semi-industrial. There are sure to be scraps of food being dumped by the workers there. We also don't know if it is being fed regularly by people working in the area. Few of the businesses are 100% secure so he could be getting in to some of the yards.

I really want to have this dog safe and secure. Too many things can go wrong out there, especially once the weather starts warming up.

I was only asking a question, it took a while to get answered, initially I got the impression that as some mushrooms had been dumped there, there was no need to give him food. I really dont think I've comitted a crime by asking a simple question. Once again, I wish you all good luck in catching him.