Wandering Dog Update 14/12/2010

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: Just spoke with the catcher who just went out and observed him.

He thinks he was a guard dog attached to a closed down factory.

He thinks the dog has been there for at least 1 month due to his tracks and behaviour

The dog has plenty of weight on him so has an ongoing food source. (bins)

He is unable to use a soft paw trap due to the risk of catching someone elses animal

He has observed his circle and can see a way to noose him through a hole he uses on his path.

He and a colleague will attempt to catch him on Saturday

He will require at least 4 other people to assist in a noose catch.

He has said a cage trap will not work as he is too clever and cunning ( we may pursue this system though)

We are asking for some volunteers at assist on Saturday at 12pm. We need 4-6 fit adults.

I will be there but will have 3 little girls with me so will be unable to leave my car. I am unable at this stage to get a sitter.

Bilbo has a condition that prevents her from being active.

COuld anyone please assist us with this please?

You know OH & I will be there, for sure. :grouphug: We'll get up at "sparrows", get the market over & done with & be there on time. :) I've come this far with the boy since I heard about him on Friday. Might as well be involved & see it through to the end.

I'm pleased with this professional report. It confirms my laywoman's assessment of his physical condition, temperament & intelligence from what I've observed of him on site.

Edited by GSD's 4EVER

You know OH & I will be there, for sure. :rolleyes: We'll get up at "sparrows", get the market over & done with & be there on time. :) I've come this far with the boy since I heard about him on Friday. Might as well be involved & see it through to the end.

I'm pleased with this professional report. It confirms my laywoman's assessment of his physical condition, temperament & intelligence from what I've observed of him on site.

Thanks mate.

Just spoke to someone who will lend us a cage trap for nothing, but is $110 huge discount to assess the situation (covered).

He said the cage trap will need to be set up for 3 weeks and turned in to a den, an extension of the existing den. He says its rarely sucessful and only have one chance. He said it took 12 months to catch the last dog as they are so clever and know every trick in the book once they are feral. If we use the trap, someone will have to put food in it every night for 3 weeks, it will need to be chained and padlocked and if its nicked we will have to replace it at a cost of $400. He suggested that confinement and noosing is the best option, as the original catcher stated.

I am feeling we have bitten off more than we can chew :laugh: , however we need to make a few attempts to the best of our ability. We are not professional dog catchers, and after speaking to a few it is a VERY difficult process.

You're also going to need a method of control, containment and transport once the dog is caught.

A size large wire dog crate OR a ute or wagon with a custom built cage spring to mind.

He's going to need to be catchpoled into the containment and removed similarly at the pound. Fingers crossed he cooperates once caught.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My suggestion would be to see what happens on Saturday & go from there. The boy isn't going anywhere from the sounds of things. He's resourceful & quite comfortable in his surroundings. The weather is still cool enough, so he won't be heat stressed & with more rain predicted, the stream will be fresh flowing & not still, manky & stagnant. How ever the situation works itself out, is what is meant to happen. It's no use working on a secondary plan until we see how this noosing goes I feel. Mark sounds like he knows what he's doing & he'll be much more experienced at a successful catch than us just going it alone. We're certainly giving this boy every chance ... and that's the best we can do. :rolleyes:

You're also going to need a method of control, containment and transport once the dog is caught.

A size large wire dog crate OR a ute or wagon with a custom built cage spring to mind.

He's going to need to be catchpoled into the containment and removed similarly at the pound. Fingers crossed he cooperates once caught.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks PF, that is sorted, as is the after bit. We will be using an impound vehicle (non authority and custom dog trailor). To the vet, then the pound.

Edited by Chewbacca

Any thoughts of trying sedatives in food or water to try and calm him down before catching him

Vet recommendation of sedatives to use

yes, I spoke in depth to a professional, quite sucessful however there have been cases where they wander off and wake up in undesirable locations and put themselves at risk. We will try the man catch Sats, and that option may be stage 2 if we can get someone to put food near his Den every night for a few days. We will then need a professional to come out for a half day, monitor and catch.