First Snake Of The Season.

gillybob

We have had several here already - nothing venemous yet though, which is unusual for us!

Banjo killed a keel back last season but last night he was barking differently and when I went out he was being very cautious while around this snake and came in as soon as told too.

Good job Banj!

Ann told me as a warning TM, Loulou's love of snakes may kill her.

I think thats what she may have done in her first home.

Keelbacks are nice snakes, its the Roughscaled snake, that looks pretty well the same, that is a snappy bugger and poisness to boot.

Keelbacks are nice snakes, its the Roughscaled snake, that looks pretty well the same, that is a snappy bugger and poisness to boot.

Yes they are lovely. We have quite a few of them here and they take care of the toads for us. We have been told by a snake expert that we don't have rough scaled snakes in our imediat area, but 40 min drive west they do. Seems rather strange to me so we take no chances and just watch from a distance any passing snakes as they go on their way.

Edited by Lucy's mama

I have a friend out near Rouse Hill in Sydney who had a Red Belly Black in they Laundary last week.

Seems so early!

No sas....the first warm days of spring are when they start to come out of hibernation and look for a mate. Early September is not uncommon to see snakes about. We have skinks that are just emerging in the last week...and snakes will follow. :(

Loulou is just being true to her breed I guess GB....brave and fearless little dogs that they are.

What a cute little snake the Keelback is. Id never heard of it, so just googled them!! Non-venemous too, thats always a good thing! And they eat cane toads without any ill effect? Even better!!

We havent seen any snakes as yet, a couple of lizards and I think our resident Monitor is moving about! i hope I see him this summer.

Up until 2 summers ago I wasnt too worried about snakes - we live in the middle of bush. But when Zola got bitten it changed my way of thinking - was totally paranoid for quite a while. I just have to remember that after being in snake country for over 30 years with only two dog snakebites and one cat snakebie, with all three surviving we dont really have to be quite so panicky!!