Victoria Proposes Tougher Pet Breeding Laws

Kraigoaks

Taken from ABC News online.ABC NEWS

Victoria proposes tougher pet breeding laws

Posted 5 hours 43 minutes ago

The Victorian Government is proposing tougher laws on pet breeders to try to stop inhumane treatment of cats and dogs.

If re-elected in November, the Government will give councils the power to shut down rogue pet breeding operations and immediately seize animals.

Agriculture Minister Joe Helper says breeders that have five or more fertile female dogs or cats would also have to register as domestic animal businesses.

"I must stress that the vast majority of pet breeders do so responsibly and they have nothing to fear from this," he said.

"But those few rogue ones that don't do the right thing by animals and perform acts animal cruelty will be pulled up really hard under the legislation we propose under the next term of Government."

Kraigoaks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Victorian Government is proposing tougher laws on pet breeders to try to stop inhumane treatment of cats and dogs.

If re-elected in November, the Government will give councils the power to shut down rogue pet breeding operations and immediately seize animals.

Agriculture Minister Joe Helper says breeders that have five or more fertile female dogs or cats would also have to register as domestic animal businesses.

"I must stress that the vast majority of pet breeders do so responsibly and they have nothing to fear from this," he said.

"But those few rogue ones that don't do the right thing by animals and perform acts animal cruelty will be pulled up really hard under the legislation we propose under the next term of Government."

Kraigoaks

Sounds good to me.

l dont agree on the number of fertile bitchs limitn change :)

l keep 9 just to avoid putting my show dogs on concrete and kept like damm dogs.

This isnt fair..Would be interested in the limits changes if a permit existed for 10 or more years to keeping above 5 fertile bitchs

Kraigoaks

Sounds good to me.

I think I would like to see what will be written in the Bill before thinking it is a good idea. Being election year, and no doubt they are aware of the upcoming rally at Parliament House.........

After the last dog law that has just been passed in Victoria, who knows what they will put in this one when they actually get around to writing it!

Just great :eek:

So I have 3 fertile female dogs & 3 fertile female cats. 1 dog is 3 & never had a litter. 1 cat is 19 months & never had a litter.

Another cat has had 1 litter.

So how am I supposed to register as a domestic business when I don't make any profit ? Hello I don't even cover keeping them, vet fees & related expense when I do have a litter, that's if I decide to have a litter say that year.

I thought that if you did not expect to make a profit you could not even register as a business.

Stop inhumane treatment & cruelty yes but that is not determined by owning 5 fertile females.

My dogs hair gets more attention than my own. It takes me longer to make the animals breakfast than my own & its more varied & nutritionally balanced, they have more bedding & toys than I do :)

Now what about all those idiots with 1 cat or dog that is matted to the skin, fleas, worms, those that are starved, not given vet treatment when needed etc ?

Yes this is really a good plan :)

It's probably too early to comment..... but

I checked ads in catalogues for specialty shows, nationals etc for those I would consider "better" and "ethical" breeders resident in Vic and in 99% of cases, they have more than 5 breeding age dogs. Note, the release said "dogs", so presumably that means dogs of both sexes, not just bitches

From the news release, I gather that "rogue" breeders will be those with more than 5 dogs, and

the Government will give councils the power to shut down rogue pet breeding operations and immediately seize animals.

so they will be shut down, and the council will seize their animals.

I'd ask "what can the government be thinking?"

But I know, alas. :eek:

All I can say is glad I live in QLD at the moment.Victoria seems to have too many rules that don't look at who is doing right and wrong.Alot of show people have a few girls and boys all undesexed not neccessarily for breeding but to be able to show untill our CCC's in each state say we can show desexed dogs and bitches and be viable to get championships we don't have a choice.We can't better our breeds either without the help of good breeders who know what they are doing and who know all about genetics etc.We all agree we need to get rid of the farmers who are doing the wrong thing and mistreating the dogs but lets look at all those breeders who know what they are doing and who have let us show some really good and healthy breeds.They need more then 1 or two girls or we will end up going in circles.Has this been made law now???

All I can say is glad I live in QLD at the moment.Victoria seems to have too many rules that don't look at who is doing right and wrong.Alot of show people have a few girls and boys all undesexed not neccessarily for breeding but to be able to show untill our CCC's in each state say we can show desexed dogs and bitches and be viable to get championships we don't have a choice.We can't better our breeds either without the help of good breeders who know what they are doing and who know all about genetics etc.We all agree we need to get rid of the farmers who are doing the wrong thing and mistreating the dogs but lets look at all those breeders who know what they are doing and who have let us show some really good and healthy breeds.They need more then 1 or two girls or we will end up going in circles.Has this been made law now???

Couldn't be said better. :eek:

Victoria needs to listen to the experienced & expert registered breeders who know what they're talking about. And prove it, in the dogs they produce.

A vet just thoroughly checked out my 2 desexed p/b tibetan spaniel girls today. Both retired show-dogs, bred & raised by breeders who know what they're doing. He had nothing but praise for them. An 11 yr old, with perfect health, not even a mark on her teeth. A nearly 4 yr old, also in perfect health, with ONE tooth that needs a clean. But, most of all, he remarked on how beautifully social these dogs are & their lovely temperaments. 'You don't get better than this!', he said. Take a bow, the breeders who produce dogs like this. This is the proof of good breeding. Nothing to do with just counting dogs' heads & which are, or are not, desexed.

meanwhile the puppy farms apply for their DA's and continue on their merry way or just do what they are doing now and the gov will still be none the wiser

Perhaps this link on the Dogs Vic website might be useful to read, it is under the heading the law and you. .

http://www.vca.org.au/Content.asp?ID=287

Pam

Operation of Dog and Cat Breeding Establishments

Legislation

Under the provisions of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 any person who runs an enterprise (being a business) for profit (whether the business makes a profit is irrelevant) that breeds dogs and/or cats, that person must register their premises as a domestic animal business with their local council before they can operate. While this type of business is known as a breeding and/or rearing establishment, some members of the public call these businesses “puppy farms” or “puppy mills”. Council domestic animal business registration is an annual process and Councils are required to report the number of domestic animal businesses registered with them to the State Government annually.

Dog and/or cat breeding establishment proprietors must operate in accord with the mandatory Code of Practice established by the State Government for the purpose of providing minimum standards of accommodation, management and care which are considered appropriate to the welfare, physical and behavioural needs of the animals housed at these establishments. In the case of a breeding establishment the mandatory Code is known as the ‘Code of Practice for the Operation of Breeding and Rearing Establishments’.

A person who is a member of an Applicable Organisation (including Dogs Victoria, Cat Authority of Victoria, Feline Control Council, Governing Council of the Cat Fancy and Waratah National Cat Alliance) that registers their puppies and/or kittens with that Organisation and has less than 10 fertile females of either species is not required to be registered as a breeding establishment with their Council. The reason for this is that these groups have been approved as Applicable Organisations due to their members being required to operate in accord with a Code of Ethics established by their Organisation. The Code of Ethics established by these organisations mandate responsible breeding and responsible pet ownership principles which are similar to the aims of the mandatory Code of Practice.

Breeding establishment proprietor responsibilities

Proprietors of breeding establishments must provide for the well being of all the animals kept at their establishment. They are responsible for supervision of staff, collation of records relating to breeding, the supervision of appropriate feeding programs, maintaining a high level of hygiene at their premises and ensuring veterinary care for the animals kept at the establishment.

Proprietors of breeding establishments can only offer animals for sale that have been vaccinated at least fourteen days prior to sale and must on sale or giving away an animal ensure the animal is implanted with a microchip. The proprietor must notify the Council in which the animal is to be kept of the name, address and microchip number of the animal sold from or given away from their premises.

Proprietors must provide literature to a person who purchases animals from them; this literature must include information on responsible pet ownership, appropriate housing and feeding. The proprietor must also provide a guarantee to the purchaser stating that if the animal is unacceptable for any reason that the animal can be returned within three days for a 75% refund of the purchase price or an offer of an animal of equal value with the same guarantee. Also within seven days, the proprietor must provide a similar guarantee on health grounds if supported by documentation from a veterinarian that the animal is sick after purchase. If the animal dies or is euthanased due to a disease traceable to point of sale, the proprietor must refund the purchase price or offer a replacement animal with the same guarantee.

Council responsibilities

Council must register breeding establishments to allow them to operate and should conduct annual audits or regular inspections to ensure these proprietors are operating their establishment in accord with the mandatory Code of Practice.

Council should follow up on the registration of animals purchased from breeding establishments as they must be notified by the proprietor of the establishment when an animal sold from their business is expected to be kept in that municipal district.

If you have an issue with the operation of a breeding establishment in your area

As the council is responsible for registering and authorising the operation of breeding establishments, you should report any concerns you may have to the Council for their action. Council may expect you to provide the information in writing to provide them with ‘reasonable grounds’ to investigate your claims.

Council has Authorised Officers that have the power to enter breeding establishments on reasonable grounds and at reasonable times to investigate the compliance of these establishments with the Act and mandatory Code of Practice.

If the breeding establishment is unregistered the Council can prosecute the proprietor for operating an unregistered breeding establishment, this offence carries a penalty of 10 penalty units in the Magistrates Court. Also, if the proprietor sells an animal from an unregistered premise this is also an offence which carries a penalty of 10 penalty units in court.

If the breeding establishment proprietor is not operating their business in accord with the mandatory Code of Practice, Council Officers can issue infringements or file charges in the Magistrates Court. Each breach carries a penalty of up to 10 penalty units in court.

Pam, those are the existing regulations. What we are discussing are proposed regulations, dependent on Joe Hockey's party being elected.

I have no idea how legislation will achieve the result we would all like to see.

I owned 3 boxers. Only 1 had ever had pups. One was 3 yr old and would probably have a litter or two in future, the other was 2 and I had no plans to breed her at all.

Pam, those are the existing regulations. What we are discussing are proposed regulations, dependent on Joe Hockey's party being elected.

I have no idea how legislation will achieve the result we would all like to see.

It says Joe Helper not Hockey. Isn't Victoria a labor government? Hockey is a Liberal.

Edited to add

Here is the fellow Joe with the bright ideas.

Minister for Agriculture Joe Helper and he is in the Labor Party

http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/about-us/what-we...ers/agriculture

Edited by shortstep

I owned 3 boxers. Only 1 had ever had pups. One was 3 yr old and would probably have a litter or two in future, the other was 2 and I had no plans to breed her at all.

Hi Jed

Are you a member of Dogs Vic? the way I understand it is that Dogs Vic members are exempt because they belong to an applicable organization, and they have been for quite some years, so unless that agreement with the Govern. is revoked I don't think this "new" law will have any impact on Vic Dog members.

Pam.

No, not a member of DogsVic. Be interesting to see what the coming legislation says -- if it happens. Who knows? Joe Hockey may not be re-elected. Anything could happen.

Edited by Jed

No, not a member of DogsVic. Be interesting to see what the coming legislation says -- if it happens. Who knows? Joe Hockey may not be re-elected. Anything could happen.

Jed it is not Joe Hockey, he is a liberal and a current federal opposition front bencher. He is not promoting any dog legislation anywhere (by definition a liberal would be opposed to more governement). Joe Hockey has nothing to do with any of this.

The person you are talking about is Joe Helper, he is in the Labor Government which is currently in power in Victoria. He is the person who wants to make more legistation agaisnt dog breeders.

the premier of victoria has a topic on his website about closing down dog farms in Victoria and this is probably their response to it all, put more legislation in to attack the smaller breeders forget about the huge puppy farms that breed up 1500 pups a year on one bloody farm!!!!!!!! its pathetic. i know of many people who have written to this guy to have them do something about these breeding farms........typical, they must all be making alot of money off these large farms.

Jed it is not Joe Hockey, he is a liberal and a current federal opposition front bencher. He is not promoting any dog legislation anywhere (by definition a liberal would be opposed to more governement). Joe Hockey has nothing to do with any of this.

The person you are talking about is Joe Helper, he is in the Labor Government which is currently in power in Victoria. He is the person who wants to make more legistation agaisnt dog breeders.

Sorry, I guess that shows my level of interest in politics :laugh:

Hockey, Helper, they are all interchangeable :eek::eek:

And the pollies don't need to pussy foot around. It's all too bloody easy.

Simply pass ONE piece of legislation - banning the sale of puppies in pet shops Australia wide.

Clover Moore's bill would have succeeded if she had kept is to ONE piece of legislation.

And watch the puppy farms fold. More than half their sales will be gone, the profit wont be there any more. Give me a minute and I'll figure out how to stop them selling on the net, and all their sales will be gone.

But no one in government will do that. PIAA is too powerful. There is too much money in pet shops. They dont want to lose the votes.

So they will keep pussyfooting around, giving real breeders a hard time.

I very much doubt that they want to stop puppy farms.

They want to stop people breeding and keeping dogs.

Edited by Jed

[

Sorry, I guess that shows my level of interest in politics :laugh:

Hockey, Helper, they are all interchangeable :eek::eek:

When Victorian dog legislation got talked about on DOL way back, Victorians mentioned Joe Helper, as the Minister. Well....I though 'Helper' must be a sarcastic nickname. Like, meaning he was no help at all. Took me quite a while to wake up that 'Helper' actually is his name.

Note, the release said "dogs", so presumably that means dogs of both sexes, not just bitches

I might be missing something here but the release I just read said five fertile females. Not 5 fertile dogs. So you can have 50 dogs but only 5 fertile females. At least thats how I read it