Man Charged With Cruelty After Drowning Dog In Esky

Cheyd

An Esperance man has pleaded guilty in Esperance Magistrates Court to kicking his dog and drowning it in an esky.

The court heard that on May 31, Michael David Hastie, 26, "just snapped" after his seven-month old mixed-breed puppy dug up the reticulation in the yard of his Castletown home.

Frustrated, he kicked the dog, fracturing her right hind leg and causing extensive internal bruising to her abdomen and palate.

Hastie’s lawyer said his client attempted to call two veterinary clinics in Esperance, but it was a Sunday and he was unsuccessful.

He said that the following afternoon, the dog was shaking and vomiting and, noticing her pain, Hastie placed her in an esky filled with water and secured the lid to "put it out of its misery".

Hastie then went for a walk and when he returned, the dog had died.

He buried her in his yard where she laid for 16 days until an Esperance Shire ranger investigated the incident.

The prosecution said the magistrate should consider jailing Hastie, saying the case was a "serious incident of animal cruelty".

The maximum penalty is a $50,000 fine and five years prison.

But Hastie’s lawyer said the accused had never physically abused an animal before, and that his actions were the result of a stressful day at work.

He said that Hastie had grown up around animals, including a dog, cat and rabbits, and was responsible for taking care of his parents’ 12-year-old German Sheppard when they went away.

The court also heard that Hastie had liked his pet and had tried several ways to stop her from digging holes in his yard and chewing the reticulation, such as taking her for longer walks and tying her to a chain.

Hastie admitted, through his lawyer, that he felt sick when he thought about what he had done.

The case has been adjourned until December 8.

We have a vet available on call 24 hours a day, not to mention that they are known locally and if desperate you can contact a vet even if they are not on call.

Not only that he injured the dog on a Sunday and noticed her "surffering on the monday afternoon and THEN decided to drown her??????? Ummm both the vets were open on monday!

Oh and he snapped after a stressfu day at work??? Because he is the only one who has had a stressful day at work.

I doubt he truely feels remorse but if he does - GOOD - i hope it eats him up inside, vile excuse for a human being.

ETA two vets actually live on the premises of one hospital

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Thanks for posting that extra info RnL

Sorry to see it happened in your neck of the woods, disgusting stuff even worse that he is trying to justify it by saying he had a rough day, well Michael Hastie perhaps we should visit you when we have a rough day!

Hope he is put in jail or an esky full of water with the lid on!

This won't actually punish this poor excuse for a human, but I offer a bit of retaliation if someone in WA can creqte the causes & conditioons to make this happen, in Imi's name - however, I preface this with the cautionary note that I suspect there is a certain amount of illegality inherent herein...

find out where this piece of human excrement lives;

Get a largish dump truck from a location some ways away;

have it filled with fresh chicken manure;

relocate truck to a nearby location to the home of this "person"

wait til very late at night, early morning;

obscure all identifying info on the truck;

back truck up to front door of this anal sphincter's home;

dump the load;

drive away to safe location where truck can be cleaned prior to returning to a location some way away from this POS' town.

Edited by SengeChow

He will be sentenced on the 8th of July. My poor SIL was in court today (she works for centrecare and goes in with clients)

She had to leave the room twice. She is such an animal lover and such a lovely soft person. She is very traumatised.

She said he had an odd look on his face, not smug but not sad upset or angry either.

I hope someone who knows where he is goes to visit him with a metal bar breaks his legs and then holds him under water just long enough so he thinks he is dying - maybe a few times.

To think it happened here makes me sick. Don't get me wrong I have worked in the veterinary industry down here for many years and have seen some disgusting things that people have done to animals, so I know it can happen any where. But to brag about it is just sick. I hope the lawyer who defended him feels sick to the core and karma comes back to bite them on the bum.

Fair enough but as a general rule we have many lovely people here and it is a great town. There is however some people who are scum, so the place is fine, just some residents that should be removed from the gene pool. The same as any other town.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Fair enough but as a general rule we have many lovely people here and it is a great town. There is however some people who are scum, so the place is fine, just some residents that should be removed from the gene pool. The same as any other town.

No, no, no - NOT the town. The POS I refer to is this dog killer... Sorry for the confusion!

Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. :rofl: Horrible story, horrible man, horrible, flimsy single charge of cruelty!!! :o Why not a charge for the original kicking/maiming of the dog, and at least another for the drowning?! How awful that the killing of an animal in such a way doesn't seem to warrent a charge? I hope this guy gets the max sentence, before he gets out and loses his temper again, with another poor animal, or person...Also, my vet has performed a couple of caesar's on my dogs on the weekend, including one on a Saturday, at midnight. I actually don't know of any vet without an after-hours emergency phone number. Nor do I want to. And would I ever have not taken my dogs to the vet, given the cost of such an opp on the weekend? Never, ever, never. I'm all for the sentence fitting the crime, but this guy is just a waste of space on the planet. Disgusting creature. :D Sleep well, poor little dog. No pain at The Bridge. :laugh:

The vet that was on call had no phone issues and said he never recieved a call from this person. He is basically lying about trying to get help because he is sick. Also to only notice her suffering a day after????? Please! He didn't care, he is a vicious little snot and he should have a custodial sentence, but at least tripled.

Seriously if the judge believes that load of hoo haa then I have no faith in the legal system. Not that I did much anyway but this would just make it worse.

What a poor excuse for not only bashing but killing your dog!! So can people who perform armed robberies use that excuse too? Had a stressful day I owe money on the mortgage??

How many people deal with stress? and you know what? the best thing to come home to is my pup at the end of a stressful day so I don't believe he even cared for that dog for a second. And yes, as much as your dog might annoy you sometimes, you would never go to that extent of hurting them at all!

What a scumbag :)