Breed Suggestions For A Friend

Henrietta

A friend of mind is currently throwing around ideas for breeds for a future dog.

Here are her particulars:

Low predisposition to aggression, people oriented and affectionate.

Exercise - app. 1 hour daily, on and offlead, plus some training. She is not sure if she would become involved in dog sports, but she would do some basic obedience training.

Coat - shedding isn't a big deal, the dog will be inside/outside. Probably a easier to groom coat is ideal, nothing too intensive but is open to flexibility on this one.

Longevity - a breed that is relatively healthy (will be researching this further in detail once some breeds are definitely short-listed) and is typically long-lived.

Open to getting a second dog sometime down the track.

She has taken a fancy to English Springer Spaniels and Labradors, but I am thinking grooming is probably a bit much with the former? And exercise requirements? I am thinking they hit the spot for people dogs. But I have no idea about health.

She is open to flexibility regarding size, but no giants and no tiny. I guess there is a lot in between.

Thanks

ETA thanks!

Edited by Emm

A friend of mind is currently throwing around ideas for breeds for a future dog.

Here are her particulars:

Low predisposition to aggression, people oriented and affectionate.

Exercise - app. 1 hour daily, on and offlead, plus some training. She is not sure if she would become involved in dog sports, but she would do some basic obedience training.

Coat - shedding isn't a big deal, the dog will be inside/outside. Probably a easier to groom coat is ideal, nothing too intensive but is open to flexibility on this one.

Longevity - a breed that is relatively healthy (will be researching this further in detail once some breeds are definitely short-listed) and is typically long-lived.

Open to getting a second dog sometime down the track.

She has taken a fancy to English Springer Spaniels and Labradors, but I am thinking grooming is probably a bit much with the former? And exercise requirements? I am thinking they hit the spot for people dogs. But I have no idea about health.

She is open to flexibility regarding size, but no giants and no tiny. I guess there is a lot in between.

Thanks

ETA thanks!

Pointer ! (english) so long as she is aware that if they don't get enough exercise they can be destructive. If she likes Springers she just might like pointers and they are a drip dry dog though they do shed tiny white hairs.

Pointer ! (english) so long as she is aware that if they don't get enough exercise they can be destructive. If she likes Springers she just might like pointers and they are a drip dry dog though they do shed tiny white hairs.

Hi Darlingdog, thank you. How much is a good amount of exercise for a Pointer?

EFS

Edited by Emm

If she likes gundogs I would say Golden Retriever or Pointer. I have Goldens so can tell you about them :rofl: They are fine with an hour of exercise a day. They have a lovely calm disposition once they are through the puppy stage. They generally live between 12-15 years (I've lost one at 8 and have a friend who currently has one at 16) You mentioned they don't mind shedding? That's good as they do shed....a lot :rofl: Just make sure they buy from a reputible breeder that does all the genetic tests (hips, elbows, eyes and heart) and also visit the parents as some Golden lines are more laid back then others. Depending on what she is looking for, if she wants to do dog sports she may be better with one from an agility line. Mine come from lazy stock and are just happy with their once around the show ring :rofl:

All the springers I know have big grooming needs AND love to work, very exercise orientated, heaps of brain power :rofl::rofl: IMO springer owners need to be pretty dedicated. amazing dogs. :rofl:

Labs are so variable, but lots of shedding, and exercise needs too, as you mentioned in your post. :rofl:

Well, she does seem to like the gundogs, but she is open to others. I was a little unsure about the ideal exercise requirements of some vs the exercise she is willing to commit to - she is pretty honest about what she can and can't provide so that is good. I will certainly pass on this info to her. :rofl:

Monah - sounds like the Springer may be too much...

I would have thought a Springer would be perfect! :)

My information is contradictory to Monah's. :)

Springers were on my last short list and in the process of researching, I was consistently told they don't require any clipping or special grooming- if pets, that is.

Also that one hour of exercise and training, daily,would be sufficient.

One hour of good exercise is satisfactory for most dogs I would have thought. Certainly is for my very active Golden Retriever.

I can second CrazyDaisy's Golden Retriever recommendation, AND the shedding comment too! :laugh:

Though they'd want to be REALLY tolerant of shedding, mine is blowing bucketloads again- twice a day sweeping of tumbleweeds here! :D :)

Worth it for the lovely GR temperament though. :)

deelee:

Springers were on my last short list and in the process of researching, I was consistently told they don't require any clipping or special grooming- if pets, that is.

You were misinformed. Any of the Spaniels (except the IWS) requires stripping OR clipping unless you want it to be a matted mess. They don't look like the ones on the pet food ads without work.

Most pet spaniels are clipped a couple of times a year.

If she's a gundog lover then a Brittany (no clipping required) might be one to consider.

Edited by poodlefan

If she likes Springers it would be a good idea to talk to some breeders about exactly how much grooming is needed with a pet. They are wonderful dogs and compared to many breeds do not have a huge coat. I'm sure maintaining it is just a matter of learning how and keeping a pet dog groomed is a lot less trouble than maintaining a show coat.

Other than that, a Labrador or any of the other gundog breeds could be suitable so a visit to a show to check out some of the other dogs in the group would be a good idea.

Some of the working breeds like Borders Collies, Aussies, Collies (Long or Smooth) and Belgian Shepherds could also suit her. All pretty easy to groom long coats, except the Collie Smooth.

Remember The temperament can vary a lot within a breed so it is a matter of finding the right dog, not just the right breed.

Guest sharynriding

If she likes the idea of a gundog and then perhaps something a little different I would suggest a flatcoated retriever. I have one of them and also a golden retriever. Lots of shedding coats, do need a decent groom but the coat is relatively easy to maintain, they are not as heavily feathered as the goldens. Superb temperaments, do need exercise daily, intelligent, highly biddable, soft mouth and a delight to live with. They do love company, human and dog.

Would also endorse the greyhound, have previously owned them and love them to bits!

pretty much any of the retriever group would be suitable

- lab, GR, Flat coat.

Labs are easier in terms of grooming.

Labs and GRs have their fair share of potential health issues, I can't comment on flatcoats though.

I like Welsh Springer Spaniels but haven't actually met any. They sound like great dogs though (from books) .

I also thought a Brittany, or stafford might be suitable.

If you're willing to put in the effort with training and exercise, I don't really think you can go past a labrador or golden retriever for a great all round family pet (and you don't care about shedding!).

Hi Darlingdog, thank you. How much is a good amount of exercise for a Pointer?

EFS

An hour a day would be fine as long as they can run and I mean really run, 2 or 3 times a week within that exercise. We live on an acre so they can run at home but previous to this we were on a small block and they managed with walking each day and going to park for running as well. 2 of my pointers NEED the run, the other one would be fine without it. They are the loveliest dogs, so gentle, very affectionate.

Thank you everyone, some great suggestions for breeds that I hadn't considered either like the Brittany, the flat-coat and the curly-coated retriever. I will suggest attending a show so that she can see what she likes, talks to some owners/breeders and meet some dogs.

What are the grooming requirements like for the setters?

deelee:

You were misinformed. Any of the Spaniels (except the IWS) requires stripping OR clipping unless you want it to be a matted mess. They don't look like the ones on the pet food ads without work.

Most pet spaniels are clipped a couple of times a year.

If she's a gundog lover then a Brittany (no clipping required) might be one to consider.

Really? I cant find any reference to this, especially the stripping :laugh: (tried to find my research but cant so just have done a quick check on breeders sites).

Occasional regular trimming of hair on the feet, ears and mouth is the most I can find. hardly high maintenance.

I have a friend who clips her Cocker herself just for ease of cleaning (she swims in the harbour a lot), looks terrible :D , but she finds it easy and it does the trick.

She has even offered to give Honey the once over! :rofl: :rofl: