Breed Suggestions For A Friend

Henrietta

DeeLee:

Really? I cant find any reference to this, especially the stripping (tried to find my research but cant so just have done a quick check on breeders sites).

Occasional regular trimming of hair on the feet, ears and mouth is the most I can find. hardly high maintenance.

An ESS (or other similarly coated dog) has a double coat. I have ESSs visit my house on a regular basis. If grooming isn't kept up, they are hairy beasts!! Leave the dead hair on the dog (as opposed to stripping or clipping) and you'll soon think you own a yak. Even the head gets hairy. Of course the working line ESS's have far less coat but arent' as common as show line dogs.

Here's a sample article:

Linky

And another linky

DeeLee:
Really? I cant find any reference to this, especially the stripping (tried to find my research but cant so just have done a quick check on breeders sites).

Occasional regular trimming of hair on the feet, ears and mouth is the most I can find. hardly high maintenance.

An ESS (or other similarly coated dog) has a double coat. I have ESSs visit my house on a regular basis. If grooming isn't kept up, they are hairy beasts!! Leave the dead hair on the dog (as opposed to stripping or clipping) and you'll soon think you own a yak. Even the head gets hairy. Of course the working line ESS's have far less coat but arent' as common as show line dogs.

Here's a sample article:

Linky

And another linky

Have to agree, a person I used to do agility withhas 5, and a welsh . The english are very high maintenance.

We also rescued one years ago, so I know first hand :laugh:

Try a rare breed.

SCHIPPERKE

Low maintance, virtually no health problems, doesn't need a whole heap of exercise every day.

Great with people & kids.

Only two colors to pick from :rofl: black or cream.

Shed once or twice a month so a brush at this time reccommended.

No DOGGY ODOUR.

BB

MIL has an Irish setter male , weekly brush trim the feet and feathers once a month and a coat drop 2 times a year , not major just removing the burrs that he picks up he is bathed for them by the vet around 1 every 3 months and looks fine so for the Irish I would say not a major problem with grooming

He does love people ALL people and dogs and cats , he has been fairly easy to train as well but the Irish are not that common a breed

DeeLee:

Here's a sample article:

Linky

And another linky

My Dad has always had Welsh Springers at home in the UK for nigh on 50 years. I spent a lot of a recent holiday on grooming and neatening up cart horse feet on George, Dad's current dog, :rofl: as Dad doesn't do it as often as he should. I brushed him every day for 2 weeks and there was still shed loads of coat coming out. If you don't keep on top of it they can look very messy. They need regular clipping to keep between pads and toes from growing large tufts which mat and pick up crap. Being a pet we also trim feathers (furnishings) on legs, under body, tail and ears. You don't get that smooth ear look without stripping. George current dog also has ear issues and needs regular ear maintenance.

We have had a variety of temps with our dogs, George is a great family dog, but his previous male was extremely dominant (probably not typical of the breed tho more a one off adn my father's laissez faire attitude!) and one of our bitches when I was young hated toddlers and small children (even though she was raised with youngish kids), I think it was a lines and nerves thing though as several of the other pups were very wary around strangers as was, we found out the sire.

IMO Welshies are less feathered than English, Brittany's are definitely lighter build and lighter on the hair. Brittanys are nice looking dogs.

ETA: George gets at least 1.5 hours exercise a day but could probably take more. Dad being retired can exercise him more, our dogs when young got less and were a lot more destructive :)

Edited by Quickasyoucan

When I was looking for breeds I pretty much like the gundog group too. Springers were right on top of my list along side Brittanys. I ended up with Brittanys due to the shorter coat, less maintenance and (no offence to Springers because I would still have one) higher intelligence. If she wants an affectionate/people orientated dog Brittanys are way up there in that department.

Edited by helen

Pity they want a medium sized dog... I have a totally perfect option for a nice family right here...

http://www.nswar.org.au/zoe.htm

This young lady is the dream foster dog so far - well behaved, totally loving, not noisy, and almost fully toilet trained. She is on the larger size of a small dog at around 8kgs (need to get me a proper weight check). She'd be just fine with 1 hour or less of walking per day, does couch cuddles like a true professional, and is also happy enough with her own company if you are too busy to play right then and there.

Oh, and she would only need a mandatory brush over whenever you felt like it - wash and wear dog!

T.

Oh Lord, Zoe is a cute scruffer! (I love scruffers). I don't think my friend is ready for a dog right now though, she is just starting to research. I will be sure to let her know about rescue options though.

I love Schipperkes, but I always thought they were quite 'sharp' dogs in general. What are their temperaments like? I always get the impression that they are a dog that needs a lot of mental stimulation.

Thanks for the info on the Welshies and the Brittanies. I have considered the Brittany for myself (along with some other Utility gundogs) but have decided that, in this point of my life, something smaller is for me and I have it down to a couple of breeds now ( :thumbsup: I never thought I'd see the day).