Is This A Paralysis Tick

teekay

Just a quick update to say, so far Jenna is fine. I set the alarm and checked on her a couple of times in the night, all good.

I will be keeping her very quiet today, very glad it is the weekend so I can be with her all day. Thanks for all the advice.

If all goes well today, will it be ok to leave her for a few hours tomorrow. It's my 5yr old son's first sports day, which I will miss if necessary. What do you think Sharee?

Persephone, thanks for the link very useful.

Has anyone tried this which is the useful tips for natural tick control I read on the site provided..

# Apply Tick Stop into drinking water daily from Aug-March to develop resistance. 1 bottle of Tick Stop will be sufficient for the whole season for all your animals in the household if they share their drinking water.

# Feeding supplements such as garlic, Flea Free liquid daily (blend of vinegar, garlic and citrus herbs) will absorb to the blood stream and repel parasites.

wondering if there is a chance it would work?

Edited by adza_baby

:heart: Good job you found that horrid thing. I hope for her sake (and yours) the beautiful girl will not become ill.

I don't think we have paralysis ticks in WA :heart:

Out of curiousity, what states/territories rural/towns/cities are the worst or badly infected with these horrible mites?

Edited by Rottsup

Just a quick update to say, so far Jenna is fine. I set the alarm and checked on her a couple of times in the night, all good.

I will be keeping her very quiet today, very glad it is the weekend so I can be with her all day. Thanks for all the advice.

If all goes well today, will it be ok to leave her for a few hours tomorrow. It's my 5yr old son's first sports day, which I will miss if necessary. What do you think Sharee?

I wouldn't leave her for longer than 2-3 hours just in case there is another tick that you haven't found yet.

Persephone, thanks for the link very useful.

Has anyone tried this which is the useful tips for natural tick control I read on the site provided..

# Apply Tick Stop into drinking water daily from Aug-March to develop resistance. 1 bottle of Tick Stop will be sufficient for the whole season for all your animals in the household if they share their drinking water.

# Feeding supplements such as garlic, Flea Free liquid daily (blend of vinegar, garlic and citrus herbs) will absorb to the blood stream and repel parasites.

wondering if there is a chance it would work?

NO this would not work, I have heard so many "natural tick control" crap to last a life time.This definatly DOES NOT work for paralysis ticks.

Please remember alot of these sites are American and our ticks are alot different to theirs.

I have been told when they did tests for advantix and frontline in America they had to change their way do conducting them as the paralysis ticks would walk on the glass rods used lol.

Some dogs are immune to paralysis tick toxin. They can also develop immunity after being exposed to the toxin.

It is true that some dogs are immune to Paralysis ticks BUT they do not develop immunity to ticks. They either are or arn't immune.

If your dog has tick paralysis and recovers and then gets another tick it is actually more comprimised.

She should be ok if she shows no symptoms today , that being said I would not leave her for more than 4hrs without someone checking in on her, just in case she does have a missed tick :heart:

Some dogs are immune to paralysis tick toxin. They can also develop immunity after being exposed to the toxin.

It is true that some dogs are immune to Paralysis ticks BUT they do not develop immunity to ticks. They either are or arn't immune.

If your dog has tick paralysis and recovers and then gets another tick it is actually more comprimised.

They can develop immunity from exposure - let me know if you want me to find sources but there have been studies where the exposure to paralysis tick was built up over time and immunity developed. It might not last forever but it does happen.

They can develop immunity from exposure - let me know if you want me to find sources but there have been studies where the exposure to paralysis tick was built up over time and immunity developed. It might not last forever but it does happen.

I think it is not helpful for information being posted that is not true - not every dog/cat will get immunity from ticks

Immunity

SOME dogs and cats will develop immunity to ticks overseveral years of low grade exposure. If an animal is affected and recovers from a case of tick paralysis this does NOT make them immune. In fact, if they are affected within a few weeks of the initial case they will suffer more seriously the second time.

LINK

Do animals develop immunity to the tick paralysis toxin?

Native animals which are the natural hosts of Ixodes holocyclus appear, (when in their natural environment), to develop an immunity to the harmful effects of the tick toxin, and can carry large numbers of ticks without ill effect.

Dogs and cats which live in areas where they regularly pick up ticks will also tend to develop their own immunity. This depends on them gettingsmall doses of tick toxin initially, not enough to cause severe illness, but enough to start the production of antibodies by the animal's immune system. As they pick up more ticks and are injected by gradually increasing doses of toxin this immunity can become quite strong.

Unfortunately this immunity is not long lasting and can be lost from one season to the next if there are no ticks on the animal in the time between. A previously immune dog can therefore suddenly become affected by tick paralysis. Owners should be aware of this risk.

Owners are also commonly misled by the fact that a dog frequently carries ticks of the genus Haemaphysalis (Bush Ticks) which resemble Ixodes to some degree but do not inject a toxin. These dogs may have no immunity at all to the Ixodes toxin and can easily be affected by tick paralysis.

Dogs or cats which have been given Anti-Tick Serum as treatment for tick paralysis should not be expected to have any increased immunity after treatment.

LINK

I could post many more links but it boils down to the fact that, you should treat your dog reguardless if you believe it has any immunity.

Can you use Advantix and Proban together????

Yes - per online vet advice from a Brisbane vet - at least short term. I was getting ready to visit a high tick danger area, and this was their advice - have done it a few times now with no ill effects. But you still need to do a daily physical tick check.