Check/chocker Chains

tlc

I dont leave mine on unless I am with them

how do you know people leve them on dogs while unsupervised, I have never seen a loose dog with a CC on, only supervised ones

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen dogs come into the vet hospital who look like their chains are on all the time, eg wear mark on neck and stained fur, tags attatched/name tag attatched, very rusty collar etc.

I have seen roaming doigs with them on and I have spoken to people who have had their own dogs hung and they have died.

We also get lots of working dogs down here who have a collar made out of chain, the stuff you buy from Bunnings. Some are attatched with U bolts, some are twitched with wire and some are welded on - yes welded on!

I have seen dogs come into the vet hospital who look like their chains are on all the time, eg wear mark on neck and stained fur, tags attatched/name tag attatched, very rusty collar etc.

I've seen a young dog brought into the vet to have a check chain cut off. It was never taken off and the pup had grown to the extent it could not be removed over its head.

I've also seen a pup with the scars left behind when an embedded chain had to be removed.

Edited by poodlefan

For the users of chocker/check chains, if you are not out walking your dog/dogs on lead do you leave the cc on your dog?

I have noticed lately, actually I always notice it and it annoys me, people leaving a cc on their dog when they are not training/walking etc.

So just curious is it the done thing? To me it seems dangerous and reckless to leave a chain hanging around your dogs neck if you are not attached to the end of it.

Just for the record I have never used/needed to use a cc, but I do believe they have a place if used correctly.

Not even sure why I'm posting just curiosity I guess and would like to hear others take on it.

I dont leave mine on unless I am with them

how do you know people leve them on dogs while unsupervised, I have never seen a loose dog with a CC on, only supervised ones

I never said while unsupervised, I said when not training/walking etc.... What prompted this thread was the amount of dogs I have seen with the chain just loose around the dogs neck, while not working, walking, training etc.

There was an incident once here in town of two dogs playing both in Check Chains they got caught up and one of the dogs died becasue they could not free them before one chocked to death. Both dogs were supervised at the time and this could have been prevented.

I've seen a young dog brought into the vet to have a check chain cut off. It was never taken off and the pup had grown to the extent it could not be removed over its head.

I've also seen a pup with the scars left behind when an embedded chain had to be removed.

:) thats aweful!

Edited by tlc

TLC are these dogs that are running loose with no owner in sight, a call to the council may be in order for the saftey of the dogs

or do you mean in as an owner walking dog then in an offlead area takes lead off to let dog play??? these dogs are supervised and CC may be left on to make it easier to grab dog when lead needs to be reattached.

Maybe a letter to the local paper to make some awarness is in order

I don't understand. Surely if the dog is not walking/working/ training, then it's at home or in the yard not being watched all the time, and thus unsupervised. When else would you see other peoples dogs in a CC if they aren't being walked or out somewhere?

I used one on Orbit all the time, before we got our Volhard, whether it be for walking, school, whatever. It was his collar and when I needed a collar, I put it on. If I took him to a park for a run, he was wearing his CC.

Is this what you have a problem with?

Dogs can get caught up in any collar during play, not just CC's. It's the risk you take if you go to dog park to let your dog play with another dog, unless you remove all collars all together.

I wasn't generalizing about any dogs in particular. Just an observation about dogs with CCs left on when no person is attached to the other end.

It is only my opinion that I think it is not the right thing to do. To me they are a training tool and to be used as such.

The reason for the thread was to see if others felt the same.

I don't understand. Surely if the dog is not walking/working/ training, then it's at home or in the yard not being watched all the time, and thus unsupervised. When else would you see other peoples dogs in a CC if they aren't being walked or out somewhere?

I used one on Orbit all the time, before we got our Volhard, whether it be for walking, school, whatever. It was his collar and when I needed a collar, I put it on. If I took him to a park for a run, he was wearing his CC.

Is this what you have a problem with?

Dogs can get caught up in any collar during play, not just CC's. It's the risk you take if you go to dog park to let your dog play with another dog, unless you remove all collars all together.

I have seen photos on forums of dogs in CCs with no lead attached.

Well plenty of them will probably be of Orbit because yes, I have done that in the past and probably still will. If I walk him to an oval, park or river in a check, I'm not going to take his collar off when I let him offlead. If that makes me irresponsible, then fine.

My previous dogs have been allowed to run in the park with their CC's on - but I'm technically supervising them if that's the case...

I never leave ANY of my dogs alone with ANY sort of collar on...

T.

I think this is what tlc is referring to - having CC's on but being offlead, even if someone is supervising.

My intention to this thread was not to judge but just curious as to why people do it. Of course each to thier own and we all have our own opinions. I think for dog savy people it is probly acceptable as they are aware of the pit falls but for the average jo they may not be aware of what can potentially happen.

For me, its about risk assessment. I think there's a higher chance of something happening which would require me to need to grab hold of Orbit quickly, than the risk of another dog getting caught up in a collar.

I would never let him off lead out of his backyard without a collar.

Yep I get ya!

I guess the thing I am getting at or better put trying to understand is the CC being a tool for training, should it only be used for training and is there a bigger risk for the dog to run free with it on rather than a flat collar. I can understand if you use a CC and you are out and about you don't want to have to carry another collar. Say for the likes of a gentle leader or a halti (both of which I have never used so no little about) if a person uses one of these then for the dog to be off lead to play etc do they remove it. I have a friend who always removes her dogs if they are off lead to run or play.

Edited by tlc

I think this is what tlc is referring to - having CC's on but being offlead, even if someone is supervising.

Is it?

I did get the impression that tlc was referring to dogs being left alone with CC's on, even though not necessarily clear due to the "when not walking/training" comment. And I think a good number of people followed suit, but I got the feeling they too didn't mean that the CC can't be left on at all ever unless a lead is attached or the dog is under command. :cry:

Seeing that's how people were responding is why I mentioned "not unsupervised". I will leave a CC on a dog in between times. I could give a multitude of examples of the times I'd do this. Could be when I've come home from a walk but we're going to do something else soon. Could be when I've gone to someone else's place or out somewhere for a run and letting dog off for a sniff around. And so on. If I'm watching it's not likely the dog will come to grief and I'm not that anal about removing the CC on those occasions.

ETA: Sorry - don't mind me. :)Read all posts, Erny :cry: . Seems tlc was meaning "ever".

Edited by Erny

Ok well after reading all the responses in this thread so far, for me I would never leave one on unless I was attached to the end of it. But in saying that it is a bad example as I don't use one. This is why I am taking in all responses on thier own merit, just genuinely interested in people opinions nothing more nothing less. Sure I can see that it would make sense in your opinion Erny if you have been out and about and also then in a little while going off again to do something else and also under full supervsion and common sense used this makes sense.

Edited to add, to use poodlefans example of the dog that needed the CC cut off it is obvious that it had been left on 24/7 and I guess the reason for this is people are not educated on how to use them and this is why that happened.

Edited by tlc

I have only just started training with a medium sized CC on my Samoyed, but it's quite long, I think it would just fall off her if I left it on without me and a lead at the other end.

However, if she is off lead I have the advantage of being able to grab her by her coat if I really need to, so can easily get away with no collar.

I show some dogs on slip chains, but once the dog is home no form of collar what so ever.

Once the dog is not attached to me off comes the collar no matter what kind.

So many dogs die from back yard mishaps due to collars or slip chains.

Many dogs die due to some form of misadventure due to collars of some kind being on at the time.