Cooling Coats/mats

GoldenGirl85

Im after some cooling coats for my dogs, but there seems to be too much out there!

Ive noticed that most people in the agility ring have Cool Champions ones, but they seem quite expensive. Can anyone recommend another brand which is just as good? I was also thinking about getting a cooling Mat for Lexi, seeing as she sits in a crate for most of the day at competitions it might be the better option for her rather than a coat

I made my dogs cooling mats, they are quite easy to make if you're a novice sewer. However, when I tried them out, neither of them would have a bar of them. I put them in the bottom of the crate, they dug them aside and lay on the base of the crate. I tried them on the floor at home and told them to "Lay on the rug" and they each put a paw on it and decided they'd rather disobey me.

The mats I made don't feel wet to touch, even though they are soaked in water, but there was something about them that the dogs didn't like and they ended up being a waste of time and money.

I made my dogs cooling mats, they are quite easy to make if you're a novice sewer. However, when I tried them out, neither of them would have a bar of them. I put them in the bottom of the crate, they dug them aside and lay on the base of the crate. I tried them on the floor at home and told them to "Lay on the rug" and they each put a paw on it and decided they'd rather disobey me.

The mats I made don't feel wet to touch, even though they are soaked in water, but there was something about them that the dogs didn't like and they ended up being a waste of time and money.

What did you use to fill them? and what sort of fabric did you use?

There was a thread on cool collars last year, that i can't find right now :cooldance:

they can be purchased from here http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/index.php?p=polar

they are the mats but on that site are also collars.... I bought a collar for myself as well :happydance2:

Love it!!! :banghead:

I've purchased a few items from Megs - she'ss great to deal with ;).

I have the collars - I use them on me :happydance:.

They are filled with water soaker crystals, the stuff you add to pot plants to retain water.

The fabric is a ripstop nylon outer and I think a polycotton inner. I made the mats with a plain colour, then made a removable patterned cover so they'd be easy to clean. I soaked the inner mat, then placed it in the dry outer cover.

I made two cool coats for our dogs :swing: I made them out of chamois which are much cheaper to buy on Ebay from Japan. I think I paid about $40 (delivered to my door) for four large chamois (needed 2 chamois per coat for 2 large Rotti's)

I sewed two together, then cut out my pattern, and sewed binding tape around the edges and down the sewn seam in the middle to give a nice finish. Webbing straps with a plastic clip type buckle around the chest and another under the belly (like the buckles on bum bags) or you could use velcro.

When we expect a hot day at the show I just wet them and put them in a ziplock plastic bag & into our esky...ready to go if & when needed, they great and keep the dogs nice & cool :o

They are really easy to make but fidley and quite time consuming (for me) Many other Rotti people have asked me to make some :happydance: for their dogs :p but I have chosen to make two more only (for other people) as I just don't have the time to spend at the sewing machine to make the number I have been asked for.

Edited by Rottsup

This is where the pollar collars come in handy, our girl was a bit iffy with the mat at first too, but with the collar there was never a problem :laugh:

By the end of summer we were sharing the cool mat :laugh:

Couldn't share the collar though, so i had to get my own :laugh:

They are filled with water soaker crystals, the stuff you add to pot plants to retain water.

The fabric is a ripstop nylon outer and I think a polycotton inner. I made the mats with a plain colour, then made a removable patterned cover so they'd be easy to clean. I soaked the inner mat, then placed it in the dry outer cover.

So the outer cover is made with the ripstop?

I might have a go at making one, can you get ripstop at spotlight or lincraft? and the crystals are at bunnings right? lol, such a noob at this, I might even have a go at making collars if I get really creative, the jackets however will be coming from clean run I think

So the outer cover is made with the ripstop?

I might have a go at making one, can you get ripstop at spotlight or lincraft? and the crystals are at bunnings right? lol, such a noob at this, I might even have a go at making collars if I get really creative, the jackets however will be coming from clean run I think

There are instructions on the 'net somewhere for cooling scarfs (if being used for non furred 2 legged types)/collars (4 legs and fur). It seems that a lot of people were making them for soldiers serving in hot climates. The trick is not to put too many crystals in the collar/ or scarf .

Here are 3 links that might be useful. The 2nd also has a cooling vest for people.....could be adapted possibly for a dog.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5102398_make-cooling-collar-dog.html

http://watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

http://thesmallobject.com/stenopad/wordpress/?p=2509