Puppy Advise

thomo84

Hi Everyone,

We have got our new Golden Retriever Puppy and been home 2 days now. First day was very timid as taken away from his family into a new home etc. but the 2nd day he was much more playful and puppy like.

Few questions and hopefully some advise would be great.

1. Ideas or way to train your dog to be ok outside on his own, if you go out etc.

2. To stop your puppy from trying to chew furniture and/or anything else

THanks for your help

Thomo

Hi, congrates on your new pup.

Aww... it's still a puppy and only been at his new place for a few days. He's still getting use to his new home so it's going to take a while before he feels comfortable going outside by himself. Just give him some time :rofl: As he gets older, you can make the backyard fun for him.. like leave out toys for him, treat him outside etc. But, being home for 2 days, just give him time to settle in.

As for chewing on furniture etc... give him a lot of toys to chew on, eg Kong. Tire the puppy out with some games and training.

Ohh.. you have to post up pics of your new fella :rofl:

Edited by CW EW

Hi Everyone,

We have got our new Golden Retriever Puppy and been home 2 days now. First day was very timid as taken away from his family into a new home etc. but the 2nd day he was much more playful and puppy like.

Few questions and hopefully some advise would be great.

1. Ideas or way to train your dog to be ok outside on his own, if you go out etc.

hey i would be putting pup out there for say an hour at a time with treatballs etc to keep him busy. dont go out while barking or sooking is going on wait til he is quiet then go out and have a big play etc. Also understand that being out all the time is not going to help with Toilet training it will hinder it as pup is not learning not to go inside.

this is by keeping pup entertained. things pup is allowed to chew as well as training.

THanks for your help

Thomo

could i also sujest that you must relize this is a baby and is going to do some naughty things so he may still chew things up before he grows up at about 2.

and please look into training with pup im currently doing the distance program with k9 pro. i can reccommend that.

this pup will need alot or play and training

have you thought of crate training? this is great also

and yes pics are a must

Agree with the others. It will take time. Leave him outside for a minute & go back to show him he's not been abandoned. Importantly though don't go out if he's crying or he'll soon learn that that will get your attention. For the 1st months you'll have to keep an eye on him, you'll be surprised what they can get into even if you think you've puppy proofed your yard.

As for chewing the furniture, I wouldn't give access to the whole house until he is toilet trained. If his own toys don't stop him you can get something like bitter apple to spray onto the furniture, test for staining 1st though.

New puppies are so much fun & a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Forgot to say, for the 1st few months I don't like to leave a puppy in the backyard while I'm not home, so easily stolen if your yard is not locked. When I 1st got Tilba & had to go out I would leave her in her crate, which she was already used to. I would not leave her for more than an hour or 2 at the most if there was no one else at home. Otherwise I would only go to places I could take her with me.

Edited by luvsdogs

Start with small amounts of time with the pup outside with a bone and so they can see you is good and build up time, make sure you give them interesting things to do. I tend to ignoe dogs 15 before putting them out as well so it's no big fan fare.

Don't give them the opportunity. Puppies explore with their mouths so you need to watch them all the time and then redirect them to a toy they're allowed to chew. Pups also go through teething so will source different textures to chew.

thanks for ideas and advise :laugh:

Any suggestions for stopping puppies from jumping on you you/furniture? trying to train them to not do this?

I highly suggest checking out Cesar Millan www.cesarsway.com his training techniques are so simple and they work so well! I've had my baby girl for 5 days and she already knows she's not allowed to jump on the couch or my 2yo son, I don't even have to bribe her and NO smacking. Worth a look :)

thanks for ideas and advise :champagne:

Any suggestions for stopping puppies from jumping on you you/furniture? trying to train them to not do this?

I stopped my GR from jumping up by either turning my back on her when she did, or pushing out my knee when she jumped up in front of me which would just nudge her back to the ground without giving her attention (by the means of pushing her down with my hands)

As for chewing obviously what the others mentioned about redirecting his attention to a toy or something he can have is the best option, but apparently rubbing eucalyptus oil on his favourite chew furniture will discourage it, thankfully Ive never had to try this one out