Frozen Semen Implant

whippets

We are doing our first frozen semen implant next week with imported semen. We need all the luck as whippets have been notoriously difficult to get in whelp, with this method, for other breeders in this country.

I'm still trying to fathom why as I know breeders in the USA and Scandinavia who do this with success and have large litters.

We are doing our first frozen semen implant next week with imported semen. We need all the luck as whippets have been notoriously difficult to get in whelp, with this method, for other breeders in this country.

I'm still trying to fathom why as I know breeders in the USA and Scandinavia who do this with success and have large litters.

I remember a discussion about this some years ago and some thought it may have been the extender that the semen is placed in for storage. (May have just been a myth)

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out. :confused:

Lots of Good Luck coming your way.

I know your frustrations. For various reasons over the years I have had AI (fresh) done with some of my bitches. 4 times, 3 different bitches 4 different dogs nothing!! Ai's from same dogs produced puppies. My last attempt, the vets used a new "method" of inserting the semen with an implement that after implanting the semen, was then inflated (like they do when clearing ateries) this supposedly acts like the males penis swelling and stimulates the female's muscles to contract thus pushing the semen forward....... anyway end result....pregnant bitch YAY. New technology from Germany has only been used at the vets about a month before.

So maybe the frozen AI will work for you better than others

I remember a discussion about this some years ago and some thought it may have been the extender that the semen is placed in for storage. (May have just been a myth)

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out. :hug:

Yes from the people I spoke to the collections were done early 90's I think, maybe 80's. I don't think many have done Frozen A.I's recently with semen collected within the last 5 years. I could be wrong.

I think, all other things being equal, the collection is the most important and they have come along way with collection techniques.

Anyway today = baseline prog CHECK and vag culture CHECK :cry:

Edited by whippets

:eek: tests results back 9 nanograms/mL . She is well in the range. Phew lucky or I would have missed the breeding. Anyway another blood test tommorow a.m then a likely implant tommorow arvo.

Freakin dogs. Got the the whippet specialty tommorow and had to run around and organise someone else to take her to the vet at 8.30am........doncha love dogs :confused: