Dog Licking Paws

giraffez

My dog keeps licking his paws. He does it on all four. I've inspected it and can't see anything irritating it. He mainly does it at night. Any ideas why?

Forgot to mention, the vet seems to think its behavioural. I've tried an e collar but he still manages to get to the paws. I noticed it more an more this week, he used to do it once or twice a week for a very short period of time, now it is everyday

Edited by giraffez

I've known of a Cavalier King Charles who dis this to the point of leaving her white paws looking like they had been dipped in red wine as saliva stains like tears. She was skin sensitive and required a change in diet to address the situation.

My Mum's Cavalier x poodle does this. She licks all her fur off until she is down to her skin, only on her front paws though. The vet has put it down to food allergies so she has tablets every 2nd day now plus changed her diet and it has stopped for about 2 years so far. I'll find out what they are if you like and maybe mention them to your vet? They had her on so many until they found the right one! Nothing worse than a dog that constantly licks!!

My Mum's Cavalier x poodle does this. She licks all her fur off until she is down to her skin, only on her front paws though. The vet has put it down to food allergies so she has tablets every 2nd day now plus changed her diet and it has stopped for about 2 years so far. I'll find out what they are if you like and maybe mention them to your vet? They had her on so many until they found the right one! Nothing worse than a dog that constantly licks!!

He has been on artemis since small. Recently, I put him on the weight management version as suggested by the vet. Its the same ingredients but less fat so i didn't think it was food.

Food allergies can develop at any age - my notes from uni tell me from 6months to well over 8yrs. So that could be one reason - the other thing it could be is atopy which is alllergies to pollens etc (anything inhaled). It is the time of year! For some dogs I think the licking does become a behavioural problem, but probably starts out from an allergy.

The tablets are probably a steroid and may work but talk to you vet.

Good luck!

I mentioned to my vet that my pup does this, he started around 8 months and they think its some kind of allergy. especially since he kind of paws his nose and face as well. He's been inside for a couple of weeks and it's stopped. So i think it's likely your pup has an allergy, have you noticed any other behaviours?

My dog keeps licking his paws. He does it on all four. I've inspected it and can't see anything irritating it. He mainly does it at night. Any ideas why?

Forgot to mention, the vet seems to think its behavioural. I've tried an e collar but he still manages to get to the paws. I noticed it more an more this week, he used to do it once or twice a week for a very short period of time, now it is everyday

I was about to come in with a concerned note of alarm that you would have used an e-collar in this instance!!

Realising you mean you used an Elizabethan Collar as opposed to an Electronic Collar (I thought you tried punishment.). It's not the first time I've fallen for that :eek: :D .

Behavioural? Maybe - there would be a cause though and you'd need to look for it. If these things are behavioural often (but not always) they have a basis of anxiety. So look for the pattern of when your dog licks his paws. Is it when there is (for him) a stressful moment/situation that he finds himself in? IE What's happening around your dog at the time the licking occurs?

Physical? Yes - it could be allergy based. Whether this is food related or contact related or both ..... that's the difficult part to work out. I won't profess to knowing enough about this stuff to suggest I have the right to advise, but I can tell you that I have had success in the relief of skin allergy symptoms with the use of Calendula Tea. I make up the tea and just stand my dog's paw in the bowl of tea for a minute. Dab dry (including in between the toes).

Someone here on DOL suggested to me that for some dogs using Calendula Tea could be problematic because of the fact that Calendula itself is a plant (Dried Marigold Flowers). That's logical and should be taken on board. I know of many people who have successfully used the Calendula even with dogs who have had had grass contact allergies though. But either way - use with caution to begin with. Perhaps just one paw and see how it goes. If it is working, by my experience you should notice a reduction in symptoms inside 24 - 48 hours. If the skin is quite irritated you may need to apply a couple of times a day for the first few days. But if there is any worsening, cease use immediately.

All I can tell you is that it has been a godsend for me and through its use I have been able to avoid my boy being administered with chemical drugs that are commonly recommended and used in these cases.

ETA: Calendula Tea can help with curing Tinea infections too :) .

Edited by Erny

As it is a mini my first suggestion would be to treat the feet for Tinea.

Mini's have been known to chew there front feet if there anal glands are blocked.

Tinea is a common issue with many breeds with hairy feet that tend to stay moist & very few vets will consider treating this & go to the behaviour issues/drugs etc etc.

Tinea will make them like more & more because it soothes the issue at the time BUT create's a bigger issue whilst doing it.

We tell our mini owners to go to the chemist & get tinea cream .If really bad we will poodle feet when grooming or suggest there groomers do it to allow the area to dry .

We also suggest wiping with 3% hydrogen peroxide for the supermarket.

Also does the dog have bad ears ??

my mini licks his paws, we thought it was a food allergy but ti doesn't seem to be.

however my boy doesn't do it very badly, just his front paws and for maybe 5? mins a day, always at night, when we're watching tv and the cats have a routine of cleaning themselves at the same time, each other too and sometimes the younger cat licks the dog on the head and neck. and he pulls out any dried grass or whatnot in coat if i haven't got to it yet that night. so with my boy i think it is a beahvioural thing. i think he saw, growing up, that the cats did it and it relaxed them, and so copied them-he has copied other behaviours from them, he swats at things like flies and moves around to follow the skylights (like sleeping/resting, not chasing) and he also, no matter where he is, comes and stands around when i do the washing, as do the cats-they love the AM radio and i think the hold out hope for the drier to be turned on as their beds are in the laundry and the drier warms up the room a bit!

i'd try washing them with an anti-fungal like quit itch first, or try calendula tea to soothe any irritated skin. if he is prone to ear infections then he might be prone to fungal infection in the moist area of the paw as well. make sure you dry his paws after walks if it has been at all damp and you might need to keep them cut pretty short.

I was about to come in with a concerned note of alarm that you would have used an e-collar in this instance!!

haha no, i wouldn't put an electric one around anyone! its the big piece of plastic collar.

As it is a mini my first suggestion would be to treat the feet for Tinea.

Mini's have been known to chew there front feet if there anal glands are blocked.

Tinea is a common issue with many breeds with hairy feet that tend to stay moist & very few vets will consider treating this & go to the behaviour issues/drugs etc etc.

Tinea will make them like more & more because it soothes the issue at the time BUT create's a bigger issue whilst doing it.

We tell our mini owners to go to the chemist & get tinea cream .If really bad we will poodle feet when grooming or suggest there groomers do it to allow the area to dry .

We also suggest wiping with 3% hydrogen peroxide for the supermarket.

Also does the dog have bad ears ??

I did notice the fishy smell (anal gland) a couple of nights ago but it has been gone since but he is still licking his paws. Last time when he had the fishy smell, i took him to the vet and they had a look at it and said it wasn't blocked so didn't need any attention.

He doesn't lick the top of the paws, just inside the paw and I've trim the hair within the gaps as short as I can. Its all covered in saliva stain at the moment. He licks all four paws not just the front two.

This tinea cream you are talking about, when i apply it, would it be a problem if he licks it off. I'm sure he will! Will raw oats plus water soothe the irritation also. I tried yesterday wiping it with a bit of salty water and then rinsing it off and then blow drying it. He stopped licking for a while but started again.

And no bad ears, he used to get a lot of wax when he was little but he stopped when he was around 10 months and his ears have always been fine.

Thanks all

Tinea cream will be no issues.

You can also place each foot in plain white vinegar but the tinea cream works a treat to soothe the issue & then just maintain.

It could very well be a brass reaction but because they lick the feet so much it then causes often that horrid itchy feeling which then like to soothe

Tinea cream will be no issues.

You can also place each foot in plain white vinegar but the tinea cream works a treat to soothe the issue & then just maintain.

It could very well be a brass reaction but because they lick the feet so much it then causes often that horrid itchy feeling which then like to soothe

Thanks

So i just rub it inside the gaps of the paws?

How abou the 3% hydrogen peroxide, do i apply it at the same time and do I need to dilute it. Is licking on this one a problem aswell?

however my boy doesn't do it very badly, just his front paws and for maybe 5? mins a day, always at night, when we're watching tv and the cats have a routine of cleaning themselves at the same time, each other too and sometimes the younger cat licks the dog on the head and neck. and he pulls out any dried grass or whatnot in coat if i haven't got to it yet that night. so with my boy i think it is a beahvioural thing. i think he saw, growing up, that the cats did it and it relaxed them, and so copied them-he has copied other behaviours from them, he swats at things like flies and moves around to follow the skylights (like sleeping/resting, not chasing) and he also, no matter where he is, comes and stands around when i do the washing, as do the cats-they love the AM radio and i think the hold out hope for the drier to be turned on as their beds are in the laundry and the drier warms up the room a bit!

i'd try washing them with an anti-fungal like quit itch first, or try calendula tea to soothe any irritated skin. if he is prone to ear infections then he might be prone to fungal infection in the moist area of the paw as well. make sure you dry his paws after walks if it has been at all damp and you might need to keep them cut pretty short.

re: the first paragraph, my boy does this too, always at night when we are chillaxing... and OT but the washing thing is hilarious... he waits in the laundry, then walks to the clothes line with me every time...

ive tried using malaseb but saw no difference in the licking... i always make sure his paws are dry and the never look inflamed or anything like that... but he is prone to ear infections but they always clear up quickly with tablets and drops...

I still think for corey though, it more a behaiviour thing...

There are also products you can spray (crib bite etc) if it becomes behavoural that taste unpleasant, even the stuff to stop people nail biting sometimes works to break a pattern of behaviour. Sometimes you can 'cure the cause' but they enjoy the learnt behaviour.