Please Help With Gsd Aggression.

RockDog

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness gracious, this thread gives me the willies.

FYI, the pack structure thing is still poorly understood as far as I'm concerned. There are studies that have looked for it and not found it and studies that have looked for it and found it. The problem is, it's very open to interpretation. We assume that if a dog displays deference to another dog, the defering dog is subordinate. That is a big assumption if you ask me. How do we know that deference isn't used by dogs as a way to communicate their unwillingness to fight? Do we define a dominant animal by its willingness to fight? How then do we define an animal that doesn't need to fight because it gets what it wants through deference? Those who look for pack structure expecting to find it do so and those who look for pack structure expecting not to find it don't is what I can gather.

However, I think one has to consider the most simple explanation as the most likely. In this case, we do not need pack structure to explain Rocky's behaviour. As Aidan pointed out, Spongey has basically trained Rocky to behave the way he does. There may or may not be pack structure involved, so it seems safer to me to assume there isn't until evidence that there is presents itself.

As far as corrections go, there are certainly other ways to deal with these problems than all out P+. There are plenty of people out there doing it. I wouldn't make any assumptions about what methods are suitable for this particular dog. We don't know much about him and how he tends to behave. I have seen corrections go wrong, and frankly, I am extremely cautious about using them. It's so easy for aversive learning to bleed into other areas where it's not wanted, and quite easy to use the wrong level of punishment and make matters worse. If the handler isn't looking for the more subtle signs of things going awry, they won't see them. I'm not saying don't use corrections. I'm saying if you do, be brutally honest and very cautious about it and look for every tiny change. It royally sucks if you happen to realise some way down the track that you made a mistake and never fixed it. I have been there, and it's quite heart-breaking. So I will always be very cautious about punishments and really think hard about whether this is the right scenario for their use.

I think the OP has already realised where they went wrong. It's helpful to intervene before these situations escalate. If I don't want something to happen I step in to stop it before it does. Rocky gave heaps of warning before he escalated his aggression, but when we are in these situations and watching, we don't always catch on right away that something is changing. I know I don't. I guess as Temple Grandin says, people are designed to find similarities and lump them together, where animals are designed to notice differences and discriminate.

I think the OP has already realised where they went wrong. It's helpful to intervene before these situations escalate. If I don't want something to happen I step in to stop it before it does. Rocky gave heaps of warning before he escalated his aggression, but when we are in these situations and watching, we don't always catch on right away that something is changing. I know I don't.

Absolutely. And believe me, I'm kicking myself for it.

At the time, I was pleasantly surprised at Rocky's tolerance. When he started 'standing over' Spongey, I didn't realise it was the start of something that would (and did) escalate. Quite quickly.

Now I have a full-blown serious GSD ggression problem on my hands. NOT what one would want. Especially someone inexperienced and with no trainer/behaviourist within Cooee!

Entirely my fault. (But Damn that Spongey! :D )

Hi RockDog,

What you need to do is knock that behaviour on the head fast as it will esculate. The "best and fastest" way to stop the behaviour is using negative reinforcement to teach the dog that acting aggressively, he's going to cop something he will respect. You need him on a leash and watch for an aggressive reaction and the moment he goes to lunge, lift the leash straight up, front legs off the ground with harsh NO command and air block him, hold him up until he looks at you, then slowly release him to the ground. If he goes at it again, hoist him up again with another NO command and he will get the message that aggression will not be tolorated under any circumstances.

If you feel uneasy about the process, best hire a good trainer who is experienced in K9 type training of working dogs, but be careful hiring clicker and treat trainers for correction of that behaviour as they won't fix it. A good quality GSD can handle that type of correction and will respect you for taking a leading role in your relationship and will transform the aggressive reactions quickly.

Best of luck

Fiona :laugh:

Are you for real?

I would be seriously careful about ever recommending negative reinforcement in a situation like this where all you have is what the owner has said. You don't know why the dog is doing it and what reaction that dog will have to a correction of such force. Recommending anyone to hang a dog in the air by their lead is seriously not on!

Hi Lovemesideways,

This situation the OP has asked for help with is a serious one. When you reach the stage of aggression when you are pulling dogs apart to stop a fight especially a large dog with traits to have a real go against a small dog that can be easily killed with one decent chomp, the situation needs to be dealt with fast, and what I have recommended will fix it. In fact, a couple of air blocks is usually enough to stop an aggressive lunger altogether and provide a calmer and safer environment to work with other methods of redirection and conditioning.

I respect the opinions of people who have no experience dealing with the effects of aggression simply because they wouldn't know what to do or how to apply an emergency proceedure other than rushing a dog to the vets with pieces missing off it which is often then too late, or taking the aggressive dog to the vets for a one way trip because they can't handle it, or they employ the assistance of trainers who can't handle it either. It's not until you are faced with aggression, living with it and absorbing the anxiety that comes with it, can anyone really understand what it feels like and until you have experienced this for yourself and rehabilitated this behaviour successfully as I have many times over, your opinion of the situation from my perspective has no relevence whatsoever. :cry:

We can all respond with geez RockDog, that's really nasty and we feel for you and get a behaviourist in which is no help to her as we speak, I have layed it on the line with a process that will stop the dog's aggression instantly and allow her to control the situation until she has the opportunity to seek professional help and I make no apologies for that :)

Fiona :laugh:

Nice that you assume I have no experience. Well assume what you will.

I'm not saying hanging a dog wouldn't be effective, so is kicking a dog when they're bad :rofl: you must adore Brad Pattison then! I still don't think you see the seriousness of recommending responses like that over the internet. Don't you have Any idea what a wrongly timed correction can do to an aggressive dog? Go read click to calm, has a good description of what happened to the writers dog after being send to a trainer who hung the dog on a prong collar. Dog went from bad to freaking insane. You have literally no idea why this dog is reacting this way, yes we can assume based on what's been written, but geez how do you know the dog doesn't have a medical issue? Or there is just some random factor that the owner hasn't realised? You don't, because, you, haven't, met, the, dog.

I have no problem using corrections if they're appropriate to a situation. Recommending someone hang a dog by a lead and it will magically fix every problem is ridiculous and incredibly dangerous.

Saying, hey make sure you find a trainer that has experience with aggression, keep your dog away from small dogs. Make sure the interactions are done with a muzzle whilst on lead at all times untill you can sort it out because a GSDs bite can kill a little dog no problem. I don't consider that pussy footing around, I call it the safest response you can give to something like this over the internet.

Guess I just care more that the OP gets actual help and doesn't come back saying "Hey I did the hanging thing, my dog freaked out and latched onto my arm. I had to get 25 stitches and he got put down. Thanks." That one, thats one I've heard, and seen the scar. Luckily they came to one of my trainer friends with their next dog when it started going to same route as the first and almost killed their cat.

Dog went from bad to freaking insane.

I've seen dogs go from "bad" to "ticking time-bomb" in experienced hands, but more frighteningly, "bad" to "freaking insane" and the trainer had no idea they had made matters worse and actually believed they had done a good job. No personal insight at all.

It is a miracle that Spongey is still alive. The GSD is not a suitable dog for your home.

Either your flat mate moves out and your other dog dies or you keep them separate 100% of the time and I doubt those options are feasible.

The GSD probably needs either an extremely experienced owner or has to go now.

I read that the housemate HAS moved out - the OP is keeping dogs separate, and is undertaking to work with a professional .

The GSD is not a suitable dog for your home.

Can we really decide that by reading stuff posted here? :) I would prefer to await the results of an asessment by someone experienced and professional before thinking that way . Admittedly there is a problem which needs urgent attention ,but the OP is aware of this, and will hopefully get support and help to do the best for her beloved dog.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you. The only thing that I would like to add to this disscussion is when selecting a trainer/behaviourist be very wary of anyone who says they can "fix" your dog forever, this is not true. It seems like your dog has learned that aggression works for him and although he may be trained to deal with these situations in another way, even many years down the track if under stress he may revert back to his initial learning, which is the aggression.

cheers

M-J

The last GSD I saw "leash corrected" for aggressing towards a small dog (mine) took a healthy chunk out of its owner's arm.

DO NOT listen to internet advice from people who aren't professionals and who have never seen your dog.

Ask for recommendations for someone who has had success dealing with this issue and come up with the money to see them.

Otherwise, keep this dog an only dog and never ever walk it unmuzzled. The day it breaks a leash and attacks a small dog is the day its death warrant is signed.

Edited by poodlefan

It is a miracle that Spongey is still alive. The GSD is not a suitable dog for your home.

Either your flat mate moves out and your other dog dies or you keep them separate 100% of the time and I doubt those options are feasible.

The GSD probably needs either an extremely experienced owner or has to go now.

Thank you for your input, but I must say I'm very glad you weren't the only one to respond!

And I've already said that Spongey and his owner moved out

I AM keeping Rocky and Taffy separated except for an excercise which has been advised by a respected reactive dog behaviourist in the US (Diane Garrod).

I tether Rocky, have Taffy in a sit-stay, and sit so that Rocky is facing my right, Taffy is facing my left.

I hand feed them alternately, one kibble/treat at a time, clicking Rocky for eye contact with me.

This is one excercise I'm doing while waiting for the chance to go to Perth and see a good behaviourist.

The main point of this thread was to ask people for their insights and help with what else I could be doing in the meantime befor we get to Perth.

But now on second thoughts, I may just give up and get rid of him.

(not really, just being sarcastic).)

DO NOT listen to internet advice from people who aren't professionals and who have never seen your dog.

Ask for recommendations for someone who has had success dealing with this issue and come up with the money to see them.

Thanks Poods.

I've received two recommendations for a behaviourist (Kathy Kopellis-McLeod) who I'd previously been warned to stay away from. Confusing, but the warning was only from ONE person and I haven't been able to get in touch with the person to ask details of why she told me to avoid Kathy.

There is another lady I'm very interested in seeing (Georgia Karajas), but she hasn't returned my call.

There's also Danielle Brueschke north of the river, who has contacted me via the Functional Rewards forum (run by Grisha Stewart), offering her services. She told me to email her, which I did, but hasn't replied yet.

I've also sent an email to Honey Gross-Richardson, who I met years ago and is very high up in the GSDAWA. Highly respected, I mean.

I'm still trying to get her phone number too, as I'm sure she'd know who to recommend.

So in the meantime he's not getting to go out much. When I do take him out, I get my son to act as "scout", looking for anything that looks remotely like it could be a little dog. And I have him on a 20m long line so that he can at least play a bit of Fetch. We also do that in the back yard, with c/t for eye contact.

Just wish I had some spare cash to help. Can't sell my body, it's well past it's use-by date! :laugh:

Hi RockDog,

What you need to do is knock that behaviour on the head fast as it will esculate. The "best and fastest" way to stop the behaviour is using negative reinforcement to teach the dog that acting aggressively, he's going to cop something he will respect. You need him on a leash and watch for an aggressive reaction and the moment he goes to lunge, lift the leash straight up, front legs off the ground with harsh NO command and air block him, hold him up until he looks at you, then slowly release him to the ground. If he goes at it again, hoist him up again with another NO command and he will get the message that aggression will not be tolorated under any circumstances.

If you feel uneasy about the process, best hire a good trainer who is experienced in K9 type training of working dogs, but be careful hiring clicker and treat trainers for correction of that behaviour as they won't fix it. A good quality GSD can handle that type of correction and will respect you for taking a leading role in your relationship and will transform the aggressive reactions quickly.

Best of luck

Fiona :)

Are you for real?

I would be seriously careful about ever recommending negative reinforcement in a situation like this where all you have is what the owner has said. You don't know why the dog is doing it and what reaction that dog will have to a correction of such force. Recommending anyone to hang a dog in the air by their lead is seriously not on!

Hi Lovemesideways,

This situation the OP has asked for help with is a serious one. When you reach the stage of aggression when you are pulling dogs apart to stop a fight especially a large dog with traits to have a real go against a small dog that can be easily killed with one decent chomp, the situation needs to be dealt with fast, and what I have recommended will fix it. In fact, a couple of air blocks is usually enough to stop an aggressive lunger altogether and provide a calmer and safer environment to work with other methods of redirection and conditioning.

I respect the opinions of people who have no experience dealing with the effects of aggression simply because they wouldn't know what to do or how to apply an emergency proceedure other than rushing a dog to the vets with pieces missing off it which is often then too late, or taking the aggressive dog to the vets for a one way trip because they can't handle it, or they employ the assistance of trainers who can't handle it either. It's not until you are faced with aggression, living with it and absorbing the anxiety that comes with it, can anyone really understand what it feels like and until you have experienced this for yourself and rehabilitated this behaviour successfully as I have many times over, your opinion of the situation from my perspective has no relevence whatsoever. :)

We can all respond with geez RockDog, that's really nasty and we feel for you and get a behaviourist in which is no help to her as we speak, I have layed it on the line with a process that will stop the dog's aggression instantly and allow her to control the situation until she has the opportunity to seek professional help and I make no apologies for that :laugh:

Fiona :love:

I'm not saying hanging a dog wouldn't be effective, so is kicking a dog when they're bad :( you must adore Brad Pattison then! I still don't think you see the seriousness of recommending responses like that over the internet. Don't you have Any idea what a wrongly timed correction can do to an aggressive dog? Go read click to calm, has a good description of what happened to the writers dog after being send to a trainer who hung the dog on a prong collar. Dog went from bad to freaking insane. You have literally no idea why this dog is reacting this way, yes we can assume based on what's been written, but geez how do you know the dog doesn't have a medical issue? Or there is just some random factor that the owner hasn't realised? You don't, because, you, haven't, met, the, dog.

I have no problem using corrections if they're appropriate to a situation. Recommending someone hang a dog by a lead and it will magically fix every problem is ridiculous and incredibly dangerous.

Saying, hey make sure you find a trainer that has experience with aggression, keep your dog away from small dogs. Make sure the interactions are done with a muzzle whilst on lead at all times untill you can sort it out because a GSDs bite can kill a little dog no problem. I don't consider that pussy footing around, I call it the safest response you can give to something like this over the internet.

Guess I just care more that the OP gets actual help and doesn't come back saying "Hey I did the hanging thing, my dog freaked out and latched onto my arm. I had to get 25 stitches and he got put down. Thanks." That one, thats one I've heard, and seen the scar. Luckily they came to one of my trainer friends with their next dog when it started going to same route as the first and almost killed their cat.

Lovemesideways,

After 20 years experience owning, training and handling dogs of genetic aggression and successfully rehabilitating dogs of this nature into worthy pets, you do tend to learn something about the behaviour and how to manage it through practical experience which is one of my specialty interests. My backyard has a working line GSD and Belgian Malinois as part of the scenery when speaking of experience does yours???.

has a good description of what happened to the writers dog after being send to a trainer who hung the dog on a prong collar.

this very idea screams moron trainer ... no wonder the dog exploded

but do I think Rocky would re-direct at his owner?????.........No, that's why I prefer the owner to do it, not me as the inclination to become aggressive lessens with familiarity as we know.

I've seen some dogs with little respect for their owners try and redirect. With me they dont dare. If the owner is not confident getting them into a physical tussel with the dog has at least a high risk of accidental injury.

The DD collar is good once you stop the lunging, but in the lunging process, they spring up on their back legs anyway and the choking effect of a DD is worse I think considering they are bouncing around and out of control at that point.

If you use it as soon as the dog starts any excited behaviour it is effective. Few equipment is used at its peak effectiveness once the dog has exploded, and by then really you've missed the perfect correction window to help the dog. I have used the DD collar very effectively to stop dancing, pulling and lunging even for small owners with big dogs it gives so much leverage if used properly. Nice short leash and a bit of pressure on a well placed DD collar makes a world of difference.

Thanks Poods.

I've received two recommendations for a behaviourist (Kathy Kopellis-McLeod) who I'd previously been warned to stay away from. Confusing, but the warning was only from ONE person and I haven't been able to get in touch with the person to ask details of why she told me to avoid Kathy.

There is another lady I'm very interested in seeing (Georgia Karajas), but she hasn't returned my call.

There's also Danielle Brueschke north of the river, who has contacted me via the Functional Rewards forum (run by Grisha Stewart), offering her services. She told me to email her, which I did, but hasn't replied yet.

I've also sent an email to Honey Gross-Richardson, who I met years ago and is very high up in the GSDAWA. Highly respected, I mean.

I'm still trying to get her phone number too, as I'm sure she'd know who to recommend.

So in the meantime he's not getting to go out much. When I do take him out, I get my son to act as "scout", looking for anything that looks remotely like it could be a little dog. And I have him on a 20m long line so that he can at least play a bit of Fetch. We also do that in the back yard, with c/t for eye contact.

I know of the 1st 3 people you listed Rockdog and suggest you go with someone who knows GSD's and has alot of experience ie Honey :)

Just wish I had some spare cash to help. Can't sell my body, it's well past it's use-by date! :laugh:

Dog went from bad to freaking insane.

I've seen dogs go from "bad" to "ticking time-bomb" in experienced hands, but more frighteningly, "bad" to "freaking insane" and the trainer had no idea they had made matters worse and actually believed they had done a good job. No personal insight at all.

Basically it went from a mildly aggressive dog, to a dog that at the very sight of a dog across a street whilst sitting in the back of car, the dog would explode and try and rip its way to the dog to kill it. Definitely scary stuff what a bad trainer can do to a dog.

The last GSD I saw "leash corrected" for aggressing towards a small dog (mine) took a healthy chunk out of its owner's arm.

Otherwise, keep this dog an only dog and never ever walk it unmuzzled. The day it breaks a leash and attacks a small dog is the day its death warrant is signed.

+1

Hi RockDog,

Best of luck

Fiona :love:

Are you for real?

Hi Lovemesideways,

I respect the opinions of people who have no experience dealing with the effects of aggression simply because they wouldn't know what to do or how to apply an emergency proceedure other than rushing a dog to the vets with pieces missing off it which is often then too late, or taking the aggressive dog to the vets for a one way trip because they can't handle it, or they employ the assistance of trainers who can't handle it either. It's not until you are faced with aggression, living with it and absorbing the anxiety that comes with it, can anyone really understand what it feels like and until you have experienced this for yourself and rehabilitated this behaviour successfully as I have many times over, your opinion of the situation from my perspective has no relevence whatsoever. :)

We can all respond with geez RockDog, that's really nasty and we feel for you and get a behaviourist in which is no help to her as we speak, I have layed it on the line with a process that will stop the dog's aggression instantly and allow her to control the situation until she has the opportunity to seek professional help and I make no apologies for that :)

Fiona :(

I'm not saying hanging a dog wouldn't be effective, so is kicking a dog when they're bad :) you must adore Brad Pattison then! I still don't think you see the seriousness of recommending responses like that over the internet. Don't you have Any idea what a wrongly timed correction can do to an aggressive dog? Go read click to calm, has a good description of what happened to the writers dog after being send to a trainer who hung the dog on a prong collar. Dog went from bad to freaking insane. You have literally no idea why this dog is reacting this way, yes we can assume based on what's been written, but geez how do you know the dog doesn't have a medical issue? Or there is just some random factor that the owner hasn't realised? You don't, because, you, haven't, met, the, dog.

Lovemesideways,

After 20 years experience owning, training and handling dogs of genetic aggression and successfully rehabilitating dogs of this nature into worthy pets, you do tend to learn something about the behaviour and how to manage it through practical experience which is one of my specialty interests. My backyard has a working line GSD and Belgian Malinois as part of the scenery when speaking of experience does yours???.

:) Gee golly wow!! 20 years experience means you can confidently asses and dish out advice for any dog from a few paragraphs on the Internet!?!?! You must be a millionaire :laugh:!!!

and I quote.

"I still don't think you see the seriousness of recommending responses like that over the internet. Don't you have Any idea what a wrongly timed correction can do to an aggressive dog?"

"You have literally no idea why this dog is reacting this way, yes we can assume based on what's been written, but geez how do you know the dog doesn't have a medical issue? Or there is just some random factor that the owner hasn't realised? You don't, because, you, haven't, met, the, dog."

Edited by lovemesideways

'lovemesideways' date='19th Sep 2010 - 06:27 PM' post='4823068']

Lovemesideways,

Fiona :D

:) Gee golly wow!! 20 years experience means you can confidently asses and dish out advice for any dog from a few paragraphs on the Internet!?!?! You must be a millionaire :crazy:!!!

and I quote.

"I still don't think you see the seriousness of recommending responses like that over the internet. Don't you have Any idea what a wrongly timed correction can do to an aggressive dog?"

"You have literally no idea why this dog is reacting this way, yes we can assume based on what's been written, but geez how do you know the dog doesn't have a medical issue? Or there is just some random factor that the owner hasn't realised? You don't, because, you, haven't, met, the, dog."

I wouldn't expect you to understand where I am coming from which only experience provides that wisdom. You can and I do dish out advice with breed specific behaviour that I am extremely familiar with and the OP's situation is one of those. Timing of the correction was detailed more than once of you read my posts properly. If you believe that a 12 month old intact male GSD may have a medical condition causing this behaviour is a testament of someone lacking breed knowledge and experience to suggest something so left of centre :laugh: It's virtually still a puppy learning how to be tough, not a hardened aggressor that everyone wants to quiver in their boots over, I don't need to see the dog, it's common adolecent GSD behaviour, albiet can escalate to serious aggression over the next 6 months or so if allowed to continue.

Fiona :p

I wouldn't expect you to understand where I am coming from which only experience provides that wisdom. You can and I do dish out advice with breed specific behaviour that I am extremely familiar with and the OP's situation is one of those. Timing of the correction was detailed more than once of you read my posts properly. If you believe that a 12 month old intact male GSD may have a medical condition causing this behaviour is a testament of someone lacking breed knowledge and experience to suggest something so left of centre :laugh: ,It's virtually still a puppy learning how to be tough, not a hardened aggressor that everyone wants to quiver in their boots over I don't need to see the dog, it's common adolecent GSD behaviour, albiet can escalate to serious aggression over the next 6 months or so if allowed to continue.

Fiona :D

Last time I checked, a puppy "learning to be tough" and a "hardened aggressor" bite remarkably similarly. In recent weeks there have been one of two people dispensing "correct 'em hard' advice about dealing with aggresson on this forum with apparent disregard to the potential danger that may place a handler in.

Please stop it. No professional worth their salt would do it. A dog's behavior cannot be explained by breed alone and in my opinion what you are doing is downright dangerous. Aggression is NOT breed specific behaviour. If it was, then breed specific legislation might actually be worthwhile.

As I posted, I have seen a GSD turn on its handler when checked off a dog. Not every dog will tolerate being jerked around and your advice could get someone seriously hurt. :crazy:

Edited by poodlefan

Last time I checked, a puppy "learning to be tough" and a "hardened aggressor" bite remarkably similarly. In recent weeks there have been one of two people dispensing "correct 'em hard' advice about dealing with aggresson on this forum with apparent disregard to the potential danger that may place a handler in.

Please stop it. No professional worth their salt would do it. A dog's behavior cannot be explained by breed alone and in my opinion what you are doing is downright dangerous.

As I posted, I have seen a GSD turn on its handler when checked off a dog. Not every dog will tolerate being jerked around and your advice could get someone seriously hurt. :D

PF :laugh::crazy: