Are Pups Appropriate Gifts?

Persian Spitz

Are pups appropriate gifts? Whenever I walk my 18 month old to my parent's house, they fawn over him. My dad sometimes takes my dog for walks and such. They ask me all sorts of questions about him even when my boy isn't there. This is my first dog so I quickly learned how much work goes into raising one - feeding, grooming, cleaning up and mostly training. There were points throughout those 18 months that I almost gave up on the pup and told my parents "You want him?", half jokingly. They came up to me one day and asked "Are you still giving away your dog? We'll take him if you don't want him." I'm quite attached to my boy now. I said that maybe they should get one of the more lower-energy dogs that can lounge around the house with them. They said that they liked the look of my dog because he looked like a small wolf.

My wife suggested that we should get my parents a pup. Now, I have a Japanese Spitz so they're little rockets with loads of energy. They also mentioned they liked the neighbour's Siberian Husky but I'm pretty sure Husky's are also very active/ My question is – is it a good idea to give a pup to two 65 year olds? If so, what kind of breeds look like wolves?

As surprise gifts? Absolutely not.

As a considered purchase with the full knowledge and involvement of the recipient? Maybe.

One pup would be enough by the way. And please look beyond appearance to pick the right dog.

65 isn't dead you know :) There are older folk than that competing in agility and obedience.

Edited by poodlefan

People need to pick their own dog regardless of it or their age. I don't have an issue with 65 year olds owning a puppy they can manage as long as they research it and chose it themselves. Sorry - animal gifts are not ok with me as at least 2 of my rescue dogs were unsuitable gifts.

I gave the in laws a surprise gift (CKC) and figured if they turn her down I'd keep her LOL

Unless you are willing to re-home the pup or keep it if they say no, then I wouldn't suggest it.

Turns out my in laws kept the puppy and they always say she is the best thing that ever happened to them :)

A pup may not be ideal- but an older dog may be! :D An older dog whose owner has gone into care or who has been surrendered, fostered and found to be easily handled , etc could be perfect! :)

Pups are hard work - and for folks used to having an 'empty nest'.. used to going places, doing things... pups could be a bit too much . Just IMO :)

Edited by persephone

ummmm 65 isn't exactly on deaths door. :)

Although I don't know your parents a 65 year old should be able to handle an active breed. :)

:D :(:)

Puppies and dogs are never suitable as surprise gifts.

People can fawn over your dog or over other puppies/dogs but this doesn't mean they actually want one of their own.

Lots of people actually say "I wish i had a puppy/dog" ect but not REALLY mean it.

The best thing would be for them to decide on their own whether they want a dog, let them do the research and then you can pay for the dog if you wish to give it as a "gift"

Discuss this with them first.

65 year olds now are not like they used to be 100 years ago, if they lived that long.

Todays 65 year olds are often very active, healthy, patient, have time & have so much to offer a puppy.

Try to steer them towards a smaller breed, not as strong as younger people to handle big dogs, less expensive to feed, less puppy destruction.

I think it would be lovely for them but not as a suprise. Ask.

Discuss it with them first. They might like visits from your boy, but not have a full-time pup.

My father has said that if anyone buys him a dog as a gift they get taken out of his will.

Regarding dogs that look like wolves, never, ever buy a dog based on its looks. It can, and does, lead to many dogs (eg huskies) living in pounds because they are beautiful but a lot different from what owners expect.

My cousin gave her parents a puppy as a gift - but they were the ones that selected the breed and breeder etc. She just paid the $. They love him and he is part of their family. He is very active but her 70+ year old parents are too and their dog gets more exercise than most.

I seriously can't believe you consider 65yos senior citizens :) My father is only a few years shy of that and my mother is not much behind him and they are both extremely active people.

However any live animal is not suitable as a suprise gift. However if you want to offer to help your parents find a dog as a present to them by all means do so :) I would let them have the final choice in dog though :D

I know people over 65 who are puppy raisers for guide dogs!!!

I don't think you get much more full on than lab puppies haha I can barely cope and i'm only in my twenties and i have a relatively calm puppy. And they do it every year all over again :)

Possibly wouldn't get a second dog until you're basically 100% happy with your current dogs training and behaviour.

There is also the possibility that your dog won't like living with another, or they may initially get on, but then start fighting later...

If you want another dog, it has to be for YOU and not for your dog.

ummmm 65 isn't exactly on deaths door. :)

Although I don't know your parents a 65 year old should be able to handle an active breed. :)

:D :(:)

Im not sure that a puppy as a surprise gift is always a bad idea :eek: i know a lot of people on here that would appreciate a gift like that.

I Did.

If you do decide to get them a dog please get it from a good breeder, the last thing you want to get them is a dog that has problems that could be avoided.

]

Im not sure that a puppy as a surprise gift is always a bad idea :D i know a lot of people on here that would appreciate a gift like that.

I Did.

If you do decide to get them a dog please get it from a good breeder, the last thing you want to get them is a dog that has problems that could be avoided.

I would hate for someone to get me a dog as a suprise gift! I have very definite view on what I want in a puppy and have a hectic lifestyle so don't always have time available to devote to a puppy. I have had someone give me a pony as a suprise gift... the day I had convinced my parents to let me start looking for my next horse - the pony was the complete opposite to what I would have gotten myself but there was nothing I could do about it as she was a gift :thumbsup:

ummmm 65 isn't exactly on deaths door. :cheer:

Although I don't know your parents a 65 year old should be able to handle an active breed. :thumbsup:

:party::love::rofl:

People can fawn over your dog or over other puppies/dogs but this doesn't mean they actually want one of their own.

Lots of people actually say "I wish i had a puppy/dog" ect but not REALLY mean it.

The best thing would be for them to decide on their own whether they want a dog, let them do the research and then you can pay for the dog if you wish to give it as a "gift"

Ooops I didn't mean to imply that anyone should give a dog - puppy or otherwise - as a suprise gift. :D :) :D

My view is it depends on the 65 year olds. I know people in their 30s, 40s and 50s who rarely ever get off their butts. Then vs people like my own parents, around his mid 60s my father had a dog - a really stubborn, alpha collie - which died and my father picked a different dog, kelpie something. They always had RSPCA or pound dogs and my father was big, fit, and ALWAYS the alpha - and their dogs always accepted that (people had to, too :thumbsup: ) He died mid 70s and the newer dog had been no problem since they got him, a sook if anything.

If your parents seriously want a dog, why not let them dog-sit a bit, overnight or a couple of days and see how it works out. They all might love it, but they might not, too.

edited for clarity

Edited by ruffpup