How Many People Here Brush Their Dogs Teeth?

jazawayaya

Yea Charlie has gingtivitus (red/bleeding gums arount tooth line?) occasionally. They are always red, only bleed when irritated, we feed raw as well.

I wipe his teeth of plaque every few days but dont know how to get rid of the inflammation,

Thanks

Jacqui

Has she had a proper dental? I don't like sticking my pets under anaesthetic unnecessarily, but sometimes if tartar has already built up, I think it's better to get a dental done & then it's much easier to start from scratch to keep the teeth properly clean. Needs to be under a GA to get under the gumline, since this is what is causing the gingivitis.

No he hasnt. I took him to the vet for his check up recently and we talked about his gums. Our vet said they didnt look to bad and at this stage not to worry......but I just dont want them getting any worse. I may get them looked at again next time we are down.

Cheers,

jacqui

Yes she has been taught to have her teeth cleaned. Bones worked for a while but then she just wanted to bury them not chew on them. Had her teeth cleaned as a 6yo and then this year at 11. Since the vet couldn't completely clean them (she had bleeding gums if you pressed them) and they are worn they have been cleaned as best as possible. Since then as we had the choice of bones (pointless), chew treat teeth cleaning things (not good for her kidneys) or cleaning teeth went with cleaning teeth.

Vet also said the most important part was to get the outside brushed as the inside will be kept in better condition by the dogs tongue than the outside of them. So now twice a week she is due to have her teeth brushed and will sit there and have it done (dont think she actually minds it too much either- dont get the omg food reaction but dont get the oh I hate this reaction either). You end up with the same sound as human teeth cleaning when you push the brush up and down the back molars inside the lip!

Definitely some of it is shape of mouth and placement of teeth which can affect how the teeth come into contact with the abrasive surfaces of the bones.

The shape of the bone is also important; the more complicated the bone shape, the more parts of the teeth are used/cleaned. Things like sheep and pig heads, racks of ribs and whole prey give the teeth a more thorough clean.

Fox (8 1/2 years) and Link (1 1/2 years) have beautifully clean teeth on just lots of meaty body parts/whole prey. Hope (9 1/2 years), who isn't allowed to gnaw on bones (throat problem) has slightly stained teeth but otherwise is free of plaque and tartar...I used to brush her teeth, but her teeth are now kept quite clean by ox tongues which she gets 3 or 4 times a week.

Nicky (Cavalier) used to eat the same things as Fox and Link and his teeth were always a bit icky. He was a very dainty eater and didn't like to work too hard on his food!