3rd Vaccination - Unnecessary?

allie181

Should a puppy have a 3rd vaccination?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should a puppy have a 3rd vaccination?

• Yes
    • No

My 13 week old Cav had his 1st vaccination with the breeder and his 2nd at my vet a few days ago. The breeder said to me when I collected him that a vet would tell me he needed a 3rd vaccination but that this is actually unnecessary and is simply a money spinner for the vet. My vet did say he requires a 3rd vaccination in a month. Whose advice do I follow? Does he need the 3rd vaccination or not?

Thanks.

There is a vaccine that requires only 2 puppy shots (can't remember the company though, sorry)

It is more common to do 3 puppy vaccinations though.

I would say yes to the 3rd if you're using the 3-vaccination course.

Otherwise you could titre test and see if you need to re-vaccinate.

You will end up paying them same if not more, if you go down this path though but it is the only way to be sure the puppy has the required levels of immunity.

I'm assuming your pup had his first vaccination at somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks of age? In these circumstances I would say yes, do the third one because there's no way of knowing without blood tests the level of maternal immunity left then, or even now for that matter, which interfers with the vaccination. Even the vaccine which is meant to work regardless of maternal immunity would have me a bit wary - how much long-term research has there actually been into this for example. Wasn't that long ago that science said we had to do 4 puppy shots then revaccinate annually, now they've got a vaccine that over rides or is unaffected by maternal immunity? Call me a doubter but nah, I want some real life proof thanks.

There is a vaccine that requires only 2 puppy shots (can't remember the company though, sorry)

It is more common to do 3 puppy vaccinations though.

I would say yes to the 3rd if you're using the 3-vaccination course.

Otherwise you could titre test and see if you need to re-vaccinate.

You will end up paying them same if not more, if you go down this path though but it is the only way to be sure the puppy has the required levels of immunity.

The advice I was given was 12 months after the puppies third vaccine give them their booster THEN every 3 years after do the titre testing.

I intended to follow the "2 puppy vaccine" protocol with my boy when I got him. First vaccination was by the breeder. Second was when he was about 13 weeks old.

I 'spoke' (by email) with Dr Jean Dodds (USA) who you would know as being pretty big in the campaign to over-vaccination awareness and she advised me that because my boy had his second shot earlier than 14 weeks of age, I should go ahead with the 3rd puppy vaccine.

As things turned out, he developed health issues so I decided vaccinating again was not going to be the best thing for him, so his 3rd puppy vaccination was missed. One year further down the track had me getting him titre tested. Results came in as positive so at least I knew then that sero-conversion had occurred and this was enough to give me peace of mind.

I'm assuming your pup had his first vaccination at somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks of age? In these circumstances I would say yes, do the third one because there's no way of knowing without blood tests the level of maternal immunity left then, or even now for that matter, which interfers with the vaccination. Even the vaccine which is meant to work regardless of maternal immunity would have me a bit wary - how much long-term research has there actually been into this for example. Wasn't that long ago that science said we had to do 4 puppy shots then revaccinate annually, now they've got a vaccine that over rides or is unaffected by maternal immunity? Call me a doubter but nah, I want some real life proof thanks.

Just do a titre test and you will have the proof that it works.

Remember a Titre test takes precedence over a vaccination certificate.

Vaccination certificates says it has been given vaccine but does not prove that it worked.

Titre tests proves that the vaccine did work.

cripes are we getting that paranoid with vaccines now?

Personally, I would get the third in a month just in case if you have not have the C5 done (get a C3 + intranasal). Then a year from the LAST one he has had.

Not all vaccine brands are guarenteed after a 2 shot puppy regime either, so if your dog gets parvo you will be told it was because you didnt properly follow the manufacturers guidelines and veterinary advice. Protech Vaccines are made to be used in a 2 shot regime, but being a Fort Dodge product I wont touch it - my Malinois got a Fort Dodge vaccine when she was a baby and she screamed the place down her reaction to it was terrible.

As for titre testing, I think it is a good idea, but another puppy shot won't hurt. Just dont go taking the dog everywhere after the vaccine to allow it's immune system to deal with the vaccination and create immune memory without being bombarded by external stimuli.