Dog Parks

aussielover

There is a well known park/beach in my area which many dogs visit, simply because it is the only beach in the area that allows dogs on it. The beach itself is not that nice, no waves or anything and often very dirty, but still, better than nothing.

We visited there on the weekend, only to find that some people had decided to have a toddlers party. That was fine, we just avoided that area they were in.

Then lots of families came with their kids, some quite young 3/4 years old. They went on the beach where there were lots of dogs running around. Of course I couldn't remain at the beach because although my dog has good recall, she is a puppy and if she is running, she doesn't always look where she is going, even if it is coming back to me when called and could easily knock over a kid.

Also, which i find very annoying and unsafe, some kids were teasing the dogs, throwing sand at the and throwing rocks into the water VERY close to where the dogs were swimming :swear: The parents did absolutely nothing and were often not even on the beach area, but in the park, having a coffee and a chat :)

There are at least 3-4 other beaches that are much nicer and cleaner within a 5 minute drive of this "dog beach" so while I understand that people have the right to be there, why can't they go to one of the human only beaches???

Being a dog beach, you inevitably get dogs peeing or pooping in the water, there is not much you can do about that, it is not somewhere I would consider nice for my kids to be swimming in.

There are so few areas where dogs are allowed, why can't people go to people only parks/beaches!

Sorry for the rant, i do understand that people have the right to share areas with dogs, but THEY also need to take some responsibility, like watching their kids.

You have to love the family that set up a picnic at the table in a fence off-leash area and then whinge because dogs are interested in the cooked chicken they are trying to eat ... and they didn't even have a dog in the park!!!!

to be honest this gives me the sh!ts also.

we have to drive almost 40 mins to a dog beach, its only a tiny alcove of a huge stretch of beach.

last summer we had kite surfers there getting peeved at the dogs barking at their flapping kites and even kicked sand up at a few of them. if they had of walked less than 500m away there is a no dogs beach where they can kite surf dog free :)

and then there are the families that set up their picnic and get annoyed if any dog gets within a stones throw of them.

i know people have the right to use whatever beach they please (they constantly remind us of that if we have the nerve to say to them 'it is a dog beach')

but common sense must prevail. in the anti dog society we live, us dog lovers have precious little off lead areas without having to contend with the non dog people who want to use the tiny space and get annoyed by all things dog.

rant over :swear: bring on this summer!

we have to drive almost 40 mins to a dog beach, its only a tiny alcove of a huge stretch of beach.

last summer we had kite surfers there getting peeved at the dogs barking at their flapping kites and even kicked sand up at a few of them. if they had of walked less than 500m away there is a no dogs beach where they can kite surf dog free :)

and then there are the families that set up their picnic and get annoyed if any dog gets within a stones throw of them.

i know people have the right to use whatever beach they please (they constantly remind us of that if we have the nerve to say to them 'it is a dog beach')

but common sense must prevail. in the anti dog society we live, us dog lovers have precious little off lead areas without having to contend with the non dog people who want to use the tiny space and get annoyed by all things dog.

This wasnt Brighton beach was it. The kite surfers last summer were doing my head in. One guy had his strings all laid out on the sand and there are dogs running everywhere. It was a week end so really busy. It takes me nearly an hour to get there as well. I for one would not be letting my kids eat or paddle in the water at a dog beach. I just dont think its healthy. Especially when there is a human beach right next to it.

This wasnt Brighton beach was it. The kite surfers last summer were doing my head in. One guy had his strings all laid out on the sand and there are dogs running everywhere. It was a week end so really busy. It takes me nearly an hour to get there as well. I for one would not be letting my kids eat or paddle in the water at a dog beach. I just dont think its healthy. Especially when there is a human beach right next to it.

nah mate, was altona dog beach. maybe they migrated over to brighton after they had copped a spray from me :swear: they kicked sand at bert so i gave them a mouthful.

Edited by Snout Girl

There is a well known park/beach in my area which many dogs visit, simply because it is the only beach in the area that allows dogs on it. The beach itself is not that nice, no waves or anything and often very dirty, but still, better than nothing.

Would that be the beach on Foreshore Dr on Botany Bay?

Edited by MonElite

Yeah hate to say it but I agree with ReadySetGo. I wish there were dogs & owners only places :laugh: I have had similar experiences at the river I go to. There are lots of dogs happily off lead but you also get some people strolling in very smart clothes! And some people sitting on the ground having picnics. These usually act with horror at the sight of our wet, muddy hounds. I would be more relaxed if it was just dog folks.

I have an issue with parents allowing children to go into areas of obvious risk without supervision but you can blame the parents all you like, it doesn't mean that if your dog accidentally injured their child you are not legally liable.

I had a situation recently where a small child eating an ice cream walks onto tiny dog beach occupied by several dogs playing off leash...what is likely to occur...let me see...

Option 1: dog eats child's ice cream ;

Option 2: all dogs ignore child and play together happily;

Option 3: Dogs accidentally knock over small child; or

Option 4: Small child does something completely inappropriate and calls over dogs waves ice cream in the dogs' faces, screams maniacally and runs in the opposite direction causing dogs to pursue small child

Yep option 4 occured. Lesson learnt. I have resolved dog must be on leash around children. It is just too dangerous, I would be the one blamed if my dog wasn't under effective control and hurt the child irrespective of whether I consider child should not have been on beach, child was unsupervised or the child's erratic behaviour caused it. Thank god my boy loves kids and doesn't like icecream :laugh:

Public place means dog must be under effective control and the rest of the public has just as much right to be there as well. I find it absolutely idiotic that known off leash dog parks are visited by families with small children that hate dogs but there are morons everywhere, shame we have to share the universe with them :laugh: All you can do is keep your dog safe by foreseeing and preventing harm to the ignorant visitors.

I must say though I don't mind educating kids that approach my dog it doesn't do any harm to give them a pep talk about being calm around dogs, how to approach, to always ask before touching any dog and never to touch an unsupervised dog.

Edited by Rottigirl

Which park aussielover? It sounds just like a park that I know of, one that I don't go to!

After seeing many a dog do their business in the water there, I used to cringe when i'd see people and toddlers swimming or playing in the water. I remember one time seeing a family sitting on the sand eating something like fried chicken...of course my dogs didn't want to leave their side!

The dog park near my house has a sports oval literally right next door, yet people insist on bringing their kids and soccer balls inside the fully fenced dog park to play.

Why would you do this, for one thing there are dogs everywhere! Bound to be out of control dogs that will chase, puncture and steal the toys. Also there is a hygiene issue, dog poo and wee everywhere.

If we as dog owners are supposed to control our dogs, then shouldn't those without dogs be able to respect us in turn?

but common sense must prevail.

Unfortunatly common sense isn't that common anymore.

We as dog owners have a resposibility to control and train our dogs, what i can't understand is why some parents can't seem to do the same with their kids, it might sound like i'm a total kid hater (i'm kidless and happy about it), but really some people need to use their brains, its obvious that they are in a dog park, keep your kids, food, nanna's out of harms way, it's not that hard.