Now I Am Totally Confused!

rexiam

I have often spoken about how many years I have wanted a DLSR. :rofl:

It has always confused me as to which is the best to get, so I often read peoples advice on here to help me get an idea of it all. I am still confused tho :):bolt:

I have decided I really need to bite the bullet soon. With my health dramas life is too short to wait! We will never have the money :rofl: ( hopefully OH will be on board when I spring it on him ) :rofl:

Was getting a pic developed today and I asked the owner about the cameras he had....Nikon and Canon. I wanted to know prices and what they came with etc.

He then steers me away from them and onto the Fuji Finepix HS10 and now I am more confused than ever. He raved on and on about it and said how good it was. He has sold lots, they are a good price etc.

Does anyone have one? I would love some feedback.

The pics I normally take are kids, kids at sport, animals, family portraits....love macro.

Help!! I am more confused than ever!! I think he said they are around $500. That got me too. How come they are so much cheaper than say a Nikon or a Canon?

Is the Finepix a DSLR??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they are.

Get yourself something decent - you'll need about $2000 or so to set yourself up with something that's a nice quality with a lens or two.

The Fujifilm FinePix HS10 is a DSLR-style camera with a massive 30x optical zoom lens and 10 megapixel CMOS sensor. Offering a focal range of 24-720mm, the Fujifilm HS10’s 30x lens has a twist-barrel manual zoom control and triple image stabilization to help reduce camera shake. The FinePix HS10’s Back Side Illuminated CMOS sensor offers a 200% increase in sensitivity over a conventional CMOS sensor. The HS10 also offers 10 frames-per-second high speed continuous shooting at maximum resolution, full HD movie mode (1080i) with stereo sound, a Super High Speed Movie function to freeze the action, 3” tilting up or down LCD screen and an electronic viewfinder. The Fujifilm FinePix HS10 will be available in March 2010 at a retail price of $499.95.

Doesn't look like you can change lenses etc

Edited by blacklabrador

Fuji Finepix HS10 is a BRIDGE camera - not a DSLR. It is a digital camera with manual capabilities, a zoom that works like a manual camera, but it is an All In ONe Camera - the lens is NOT detachable.

I have an earlier model. A Fuji Finepix S100FS.

It is a wonderful camera, I adore it. But I still wish I had a DSLR.

Even if I could not afford a Nikon or a Canon, I would go for a Pentax or something very cheap/entry level and work my way on learning the skills of a DSLR - and then buy a better camera down the track.

That's what I wish I had done 2 years ago.

The way the shop owner described it was it is the best thing and something I should definitely consider. They way he spoke I wouldn't regret it if I bought one. He has even offered me to come in and have a try of it when he gets more stock in ( he has sold quite a few ) . He has said I can take it out and have a play.

The cynic in me is thinking that maybe he gets a better deal on them? If it is not a DSLR could it be that good in comparison ? Worth considering?

Me thinks I need to do serious research on cameras now!!

blacklabrador Thank you for the info ! I didn't think that you could change lenses either. Just had me more confused when he bought the HS10 into the conversation.

I only want to spend about $1500 max. Hoping I will get something decent with that budget.

Fuji Finepix HS10 is a BRIDGE camera - not a DSLR. It is a digital camera with manual capabilities, a zoom that works like a manual camera, but it is an All In ONe Camera - the lens is NOT detachable.

I have an earlier model. A Fuji Finepix S100FS.

It is a wonderful camera, I adore it. But I still wish I had a DSLR.

Even if I could not afford a Nikon or a Canon, I would go for a Pentax or something very cheap/entry level and work my way on learning the skills of a DSLR - and then buy a better camera down the track.

That's what I wish I had done 2 years ago.

Thanks !! You have given me a great explanation on the difference. It makes sense now :laugh:

I don't want to spend $500.00 and then regret it in a few months time. When I get my camera I will not be wanting to update for years.

Am still curious if anyone has the HS10 and there thoughts...

My aunt and a friend both have the HS10 and they are not 100% sold on it after having it for a few months.

Slow shutter speed is one of the downfalls. I'd look at a low end DSLR..

Yes, I have read some reviews on it and they had said that.

DSLR definately! I just needed some good DOL advice on it! :laugh:

I bought my camera from DWI and although it's not covered by Canons warranty it is covered by DWI's plus the saving makes it comparable to buying a 2nd hand camera which isn't covered at all, except my camera was new.

Definitely shop around for the best price.

I think you would be pretty safe buying anything from a 1000D to the 550 or even the 50D and any model in between.

If you could get a zoom and perhaps the 50mm 1.8 you'd have alot of fun.

There's a thread a few pages back in photos where alot of us have listed our cameras.

I bought my camera from DWI and although it's not covered by Canons warranty it is covered by DWI's plus the saving makes it comparable to buying a 2nd hand camera which isn't covered at all, except my camera was new.

Definitely shop around for the best price.

I think you would be pretty safe buying anything from a 1000D to the 550 or even the 50D and any model in between.

If you could get a zoom and perhaps the 50mm 1.8 you'd have alot of fun.

There's a thread a few pages back in photos where alot of us have listed our cameras.

Will check it out...thanks!!

I have decided I am sick of drooling over everyone else's fantastic pictures with there DSLR's! :laugh:

You wont regret it. I love having a camera after all the years of wanting one. I take the most mudane photos but looking back on them now they are basically a diary of my life.

I scrapbook and my camera is everything to me. I drive everyone a little nutty with my photography :laugh:

I have been having some problems with my current camera a Panasonic DMC-TZ1 .

I will upload some pics of the zoo that we visited on the weekend. I found my camera a little limiting at times.

These pics probably give you an idea of what you'd like. If you had a zoom lens you could have got in alot closer to those cute little froggies. One that has a fairly wide aperture so it's reasonable in low light. Your camera can help there too by being good at high ISO. I used to find my 400D (now superceded) was pretty crummy once I got over 400 ISO.

These pics probably give you an idea of what you'd like. If you had a zoom lens you could have got in alot closer to those cute little froggies. One that has a fairly wide aperture so it's reasonable in low light. Your camera can help there too by being good at high ISO. I used to find my 400D (now superceded) was pretty crummy once I got over 400 ISO.

The better quality ones rock at higher ISOs. The 5D works beautifully on 3200. I know that's out of price range here but just an example of how better quality camera = more flexibiity.

If you can afford a second hand 40D that'd be a good buy.

I use my 50D on ISO 1600 all the time.... this shot for eg was taken in the same Gorilla enclosure at Taronga.

work.3611921.2.flat,550x550,075,f.coy.jpg