Reputable Kelpie Breeder Recommendations

koalathebear

A friend who is into agility has a lovely kelpie with a very nice nature which she got from Callicoma - Jeanette (& Allan) Puckeridge, Binowee Road, Cootamundra (PO Box 81 Cootamundra 2590) 02 69424223

They only have one or two litters each year. The Callicoma kelpies are usually rather nice and they tailor the dog to what you want to do, eg agility, obedience etc.

When I was looking for a puppy I was trying to work out wheather I wanted a kelpie or BC or koolie this time round.I ended up finding Quinn but I am still very interested in Noonbarra as a breeder and they are probably who I would aproach first. From What I've heard about them they place a lot of importance on breeding for good temperment an dtake a lot of time matching the right dog to the right home. As well as this they are understanding of people buying them as a pet.

I emailed them about a litter earlier this year but ended up finding Quinn.

So they might be worth contacting.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I worked for Cass from Ringbarka some years back and her dogs are great. They are beautiful to look at and have a lot of instinct and brains. She loves her dogs and has exported to Europe quite a bit.

Another vote for Cass....or alternatively Tania Hudson from Tangarlee here in Tasmania. Tania has based her Kelpie breeding program on Cass' dogs.

I have one of Tania's bitches here now. She's a typically "wild" Kelpie puppy but is loving and very obedient. I would highly recommend Tania as a breeder and I know that she has a litter at the moment and possibly a 6 month old dog as well (litter brother to my girl).

PM me if you would like further details.

This is my girl....her 2nd show in Minor Puppy. She won Bitch CC, BOB and Minor In Group.

post-864-1289216520_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread for a moment because a friend has been converted to the dark side and would love to get a Kelpie. Problem - she's in Canada. I'll phone WKC next week but does anyone know of any reputable Kelpie breeders in Canada? She hasn't owned Kelpies before (they're rare in Canada) but she's a very experienced dog owner. Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by koalathebear

They are not all that rare in Canada - a few years back there were 3 kelpies on the World agility team representing Canada.

Does it have to actually be a Canadian breeder or would mainland USA be an option - would give your friend more choice.

Also what does she want to do with the dog?

If looking for a kelpie for dogsports I would recommend Quickheels (USA).

You also have Ledgerock in the USA, based mainly on Capree lines and affiliated with the WKC.

There is a Canadian breeder named Terri Coutts who breeds some nice kelpies but can't remember the name of her stud offhand.

There is a link to the North American kelpie registry here -also includes a number of Canadian breeders.

Edited by kelpiechick

Thanks Kelpiechick. I think they're still rare as pets. Someone was mentioning at one point that there were Kelpies in agility in the UK but they weren't a common pet I think, same goes for Canada. My OH from Toronto had certainly never seen/heard of a Kelpie before and this friend is in Nova Scotia and hadn't heard of Kelpies before although there has been a rather intense bombardment since my two monsters came along. Will definitely look into your recommendations! :laugh: Thanks again.

As for what she intends to do with the dog - it will probably be a very active pet. She's horsey.

In that case I would definitely recommend that she goes with a registered breeder from the list on the link.

I know in the UK there has been a sudden influx of people breeding them after they have done well in agility and have heard that there are a lot of very 'suss' dogs being passed off as purebred kelpies. Because they are rare as pets, most people don't know the difference.

Quite possible it is the same in Canada too?

I would imagine the WKC would suggest Ledgerock or Windrush - two of the more established studs - but a number of Canadian lines are quite possibly based on their bloodlines too.

In that case I would definitely recommend that she goes with a registered breeder from the list on the link.

I know in the UK there has been a sudden influx of people breeding them after they have done well in agility and have heard that there are a lot of very 'suss' dogs being passed off as purebred kelpies. Because they are rare as pets, most people don't know the difference.

Quite possible it is the same in Canada too?

I would imagine the WKC would suggest Ledgerock or Windrush - two of the more established studs - but a number of Canadian lines are quite possibly based on their bloodlines too.

Thanks! The list looks really helpful. I know that there are a lot of working line breeders in Australia who would willingly fly a pup to Canada but it is SUCH a long flight that I really think that it would be too long for a wee pup ...

Have sent you a pm. There are a number of good Kelpies in Canada and the US but also a lot who have been crossed with other breeds and registered as Kelpies in the US (not with the WKC.) As you've read in Tony Parson's book a lot of Americans have been breeding Kelpies for aggressive work on cattle and want more bite. Some of the comments on American Kelpie discussion group would make your hair curl. People claiming that their dogs are stock dogs so of course they don't expect them to be friendly with people and expecting them to bite people and be dog aggressive. Nothing like true Kelpie temperaments.

Have sent you a pm. There are a number of good Kelpies in Canada and the US but also a lot who have been crossed with other breeds and registered as Kelpies in the US (not with the WKC.) As you've read in Tony Parson's book a lot of Americans have been breeding Kelpies for aggressive work on cattle and want more bite. Some of the comments on American Kelpie discussion group would make your hair curl. People claiming that their dogs are stock dogs so of course they don't expect them to be friendly with people and expecting them to bite people and be dog aggressive. Nothing like true Kelpie temperaments.

Thanks so much for that. That is horrific what they've done to the Kelpie :laugh: Parsons definitely seemed disapproving of what they had done to Kelpies in the US in terms of cattle work but I thought that they were only aggro towards cattle not people. What a horrible, horrible distortion of what makes a Kelpie a Kelpie :laugh: