Approx Cost Of Removing A Male Dogs Wholeness

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

I want to look into getting Badger neutered but he is my first male dog and a few places I have called were around the $300 mark. That seems very high to me?

So how much should this procedure cost for a male dog, he is over 20kg.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 20kg dog at 11 months, complete with the iv fluids and stuff afterwards cost me about $250. That was including antihistamines and other meds he had as a result of an anesthetic reaction. The older the dog is the more complex it can be due to more blood vessels and area involved.. At least my vet said something like that when I keeled over at the cost.

Where I work, we charge $223 if they're between 20 and 30kg.

$243 if between 30 and 40kg.

This doesn't include Pre Ga bloods or IV fluids. They're at extra cost if you want them.

:confused:

Shouldn't the vet be the one to determine if they are needed?

I disagree with vets who offer 'packages' to clients for desexing. If it is something which is needed to ensure the health of my dog during the surgery then it should be provided.

IMO hunting around for the cheapest price when desexing a dog is odd - you go for the vet who you have the trust and confidence in to do the surgery and cost is secondary to that. Cheap prices makes me wonder what corners are being cut.

Guest belgian.blue

Two places I called had a difference of $100 .. just not sure why they can charge such a difference when it's the same OP with pain releif etc.

I'm not seeking the cheapest place, I just don't want to get ripped off really.

Just getting a rough idea on how much others have spent, with this being my first ever male dog .. that is all

Where I work, we charge $223 if they're between 20 and 30kg.

$243 if between 30 and 40kg.

This doesn't include Pre Ga bloods or IV fluids. They're at extra cost if you want them.

:confused:

Shouldn't the vet be the one to determine if they are needed?

I disagree with vets who offer 'packages' to clients for desexing. If it is something which is needed to ensure the health of my dog during the surgery then it should be provided.

We offer bloods and fluids to every animal having surgery.

A 5mth old healthy pup in for desexing is offered bloods and fluids, many will go ahead and do both.

A (for example) 13yo boxer having lumps removed is strongly recommended to at least have IV fluids. However, we cannot make the owner go ahead and pay for it. Some just don't have the extra $ to spare.

A dog who is in for ortho surgery (regardless of age/size) will have the fluids regardless, it's not an option but a necessity.

The majority of cases who really need IVF do get them. We have the odd dog who probably should have them and doesn't, due to owners funds.

The most likely cause of one who should have it but doesn't is those who just say "She'll be right"

Even after having risks of anaesthetics explained to them in detail, and the benefits of IVF.

If you want the best/safest for the dog, then every single dog having an anaesthetic will have IVF.

We cannot just go and "do what is best for every dog" as owners often don't have the money to pay for it.

Pre ga bloods and IVF can and will be provided by us, as long as the owner is provided to pay for them.

I'd advise anyone who is having a procedure done on their dog, to just ask what is included in the cost. ie pain relief, revisit for sutures out etc.

Will your dog even have an IV catheter in place (not IV fluids) in case of an anaesthetic emergency?

:laugh:

Two places I called had a difference of $100 .. just not sure why they can charge such a difference when it's the same OP with pain releif etc.

Just getting a rough idea on how much others have spent, with this being my first ever male dog .. that is all

If you not overly cost concerned, i would just find a vet that I trust. Does he have a usual vet that you're happy with?

Possibly different types of anaesthetic being used? Different premed and pain relief?

When I got Diesel done (he was 9 months don't remember how much he weighed though) he was $150, a few years later when I had Kaos done, same age but smaller dog, was around $250 at a different vet. I know the vet practice where I had Diesel done used the older Halothane anaesthetic while where I had Kaos done used Isoflurane. Also the vet where I got Kaos done is in a more expensive area.

Guest belgian.blue

Booked him in for $210, poor boy is getting done this Friday.

Heard good things about this clinic from a Doler awhile ago so I'm certain he will be fine. Just forgot they existed until I looking in the yellow pages.

I'll be paying less than that to have my 50kg bitch spayed, so yes, that seems expensive to me!

Same here.

Even before our vet started giving us a small discount (it was about 10%), we never had a boy who cost more than $180 just to desex and the service has always been perfect. Most of the dogs we've had desexed weighed between 30kg and 40kg and from memory, one or two had undescended testicles that had to be found.

Expensive definitely doesn't mean better when choosing a vet so really, you're better off selecting a vet based on other variables (for us, the decision was based on the vet's experience with greyhounds, amongst other things).

We recently paid $204 for an adult male Lappy weighing just over 20kg to get desexed. But if I had gotten a quote of $300 from the vet he went to I would have paid it as it is our regular vet and I like them :confused:

Good luck for Friday!