Tick Control Product

alexmckay

I've been using Frontline Plus on Zeus and so far haven't had any problems but I don't think I live in a high tick area because in the 20 or so years my family's had a dog in the same location, not one tick problem.

Fleas on the other hand ... I'll see how we go this summer but I may have to look into something stronger. I find Advantix good but I don't use it because I have a cat and I'm worried that just having her in close proximity could make her sick from it.

alexmckay yep that's the frontline plus I use although I use the one for medium size dogs as Zeus weighs only 13.7kgs. Those prices probably aren't too bad but I haven't bought any for a while as I don't use flea or tick treatment during winter (there's no fleas around so I don't see the point!).

I will admit that I'm not too worried about flea/tick treating every month/2 weeks because as I've said, I don't live in a high flea or tick area so they aren't a huge deal. I'll treat my animals when/if the problem occurs.

Only Advantix for me. Frontline is pretty crapola for fleas so if I'm going to spend a tonne on a combined treatment, I want it to do both it's jobs!

I found the opposite for fleas. I usually use Frontline in summer and usually get 6 weeks out of it for fleas. A couple of years ago I decided to use Advantix instead and they were crawling with fleas within a week. I am not in a tick area but treat them with Frontline if going anywhere near a tick area. If really venturing to the coast for longer than a day I put them on Proban.

Only Advantix for me. Frontline is pretty crapola for fleas so if I'm going to spend a tonne on a combined treatment, I want it to do both it's jobs!

I found the opposite for fleas. I usually use Frontline in summer and usually get 6 weeks out of it for fleas. A couple of years ago I decided to use Advantix instead and they were crawling with fleas within a week. I am not in a tick area but treat them with Frontline if going anywhere near a tick area. If really venturing to the coast for longer than a day I put them on Proban.

Is it possible that different dogs react differently to flea/tick treatments? I mean, I hear that can happen with food so I'm sure the same goes for flea/tick treatments.

I'm not sure which ones I'll be using myself once I get my puppy.. I don't think there are any ticks in the city so I probably don't need the tick treatment but I dunno how rampant the fleas are in the city.

Good thread.

I also have a question, is it necessary to have them on tick treatment?

Our dogs take advocate for fleas, worms and heartworm...but we dont do any tick treatment at all. Our vet said it wasnt really necessary and in the last 3 years he has only seen one tick in this area (we live in inner west burbs of sydney). He did advise that if we were going north at all to start the dogs on treatment at least 2 weeks before.

Shoudl w ehave them on always? And if so, what is the easiest way to treat them for everything? Currently they get advocate once a month and as it covers all 3 I find it nice and easy. Obviously tick treatment doesnt go together with worming treatment so what would be the easiest way to manage it f they need it?

Ta (sorry to hijack)

Living in a high tick area, the only thing which worked for me was Advantix. Frontline was like using water, no effect at all. I actually lost a dog to a tick which attached only 2cm from where the Frontline top spot went the week earlier.

Living in a high tick area, the only thing which worked for me was Advantix. Frontline was like using water, no effect at all. I actually lost a dog to a tick which attached only 2cm from where the Frontline top spot went the week earlier.

Same here Clyde, I had used frontline spray successfully for years on my old terrierxeverything Harry and then it just stopped working, he got fleas as well as a tick so I switched to Advantix and it worked well for both fleas & ticks. I now use the Advantix on my Westies and they are flealess and tickless.

I don't think there are any ticks in the city so I probably don't need the tick treatment but I dunno how rampant the fleas are in the city.

Paralysis ticks can be ANYWHERE in a paralysis tick area so please don't risk your dogs life by assuming you're safe. Check with local vets and find out if you are in a bad paralysis tick area. They're usually associated with brushy areas so could live in the botanical gardens, or long grass so could be found in virtually any park but as someone pointed out recently, they've had a paralysis tick and their dogs were on concrete when it happened.

Fleas, they live in the environment more than on animals. Cats are the worst spreaders of fleas as they get into the small sandy areas fleas love such as under houses and the like. If you live in an older part of town or anywhere near houses which are up off the ground and/or have outside cats either of your own or visitors, fleas can be an issue.

I have always lived in rural areas and don't have issues with fleas.

Zero has advantix and a tick collar. We were at the vets today and they had so many dogs there who were in because of ticks.

With Zero being so fluffy, i wouldn't have a hope in hell of spotting one. Thankfully he's decided to blow coat so hopefully he'll be naked in a couple of weeks. That'll make it easier to see them!