Dog Urine Odour + Desexing And Gender

jacqui835

My dog is an entire adult male and I have noticed that the smell of his urine has changed dramatically since he was a puppy. I remember when we were first got him that if he had an accident in the carpet we couldn't even actually smell it. Now however I often notice how pungent the smell of his urine is, particularly in the mornings when he pees for like 30 secs straight after holding it in all night (he's a big boy), and I found myself feeling grateful and thinking how convenient it was that his urine didn't smell during the toilet training phase. All of our male dogs have been entire, and it just made me wonder, does desexing your dog make its urine stay smelling like a puppys' - like is it a sexual thing, or does it smell the same regardless - ie it's just an adult dog thing?

I was also curious, does female urine smell different - like to a human...

And just because he's a beautiful boy, here is a photo of him sleeping with his lamby in his mouth.

64304_440149457190_516537190_5846796_4808160_n.jpg

Kiff has had a few accidents inside recently (he's getting a little old and really doesn't like having to go outside if the weather isn't great) and even though he doesn't seem to drink much water to dilute it, I couldn't smell anything when cleaning it up.

I'd compare that to the last entire dog we had here who made the entire yard stink. It took several rains as well as scrubbing down every solid object he'd marked to get rid of the smell. :D

IME, entire males have a much stronger, pungent smelling urine than desexed males. Orbit's urine went back to 'normal' after he was desexed. He still has days where it's a bit more concentrated and stronger smelling, but it's a completely different smell and lacks that musty, pungent odour and just smells like regular urine.

IME, entire males have a much stronger, pungent smelling urine than desexed males. Orbit's urine went back to 'normal' after he was desexed. He still has days where it's a bit more concentrated and stronger smelling, but it's a completely different smell and lacks that musty, pungent odour and just smells like regular urine.

I agree. I really noticed that Darcy's urine changed when he was desexed at 16 months.

Howie is still entire. His urine became a little less pungent when he reached 18 months but on occasion it seems stronger. I wonder if that's due to changes in hormone levels as he is still maturing.

Kiff has had a few accidents inside recently (he's getting a little old and really doesn't like having to go outside if the weather isn't great) and even though he doesn't seem to drink much water to dilute it, I couldn't smell anything when cleaning it up.

I'd compare that to the last entire dog we had here who made the entire yard stink. It took several rains as well as scrubbing down every solid object he'd marked to get rid of the smell. :D

Interesting, so that would suggest it's a sexual thing, which makes sense. Makes me feel really lucky that my dog doesn't feel the need to mark his own house or backyard so we have no smell at home. He has been taught to not mark whilst on lead, but once he's at the park, he is keen to mark every tree and other object that stands out but as that's his only negative behaviour that desexing might influence I have so far left him entire. If he started marking our house or backyard and we could smell it at home though, I might very possibly reconsider!

I had the same experience.

Our Stafford was entire until he was 8. His urine was VERY smelly. His urine now (and for the last 6 years) has been "normal".

Lewis doesn't mark very often so to be honest I have never really noticed, but all the entire males I have known have stronger musky smelling urine than their desexed counterparts. When it come to bitches I don't know. I have never noticed that my bitches urine was stronger when they entire as opposed to once they were desexed. Having said that we live on acerage and they don't wee inside or even really close to the house.

Our Stafford was entire until he was 8. His urine was VERY smelly. His urine now (and for the last 6 years) has been "normal".

Lewis doesn't mark very often so to be honest I have never really noticed, but all the entire males I have known have stronger musky smelling urine than their desexed counterparts. When it come to bitches I don't know. I have never noticed that my bitches urine was stronger when they entire as opposed to once they were desexed. Having said that we live on acerage and they don't wee inside or even really close to the house.

Howie marks his front legs fairly regularly. I definitely know what his urine smells like. Sounds like Lewis has a better aim. :D

I have only seen Lewis pee on his front legs once and the wind was a reasonable part of that, he usually squats, and then when he walks off he manages to miss treading in it as well. Not sure how as he is very gumby in other areas

My dog is an entire adult male and I have noticed that the smell of his urine has changed dramatically since he was a puppy. I remember when we were first got him that if he had an accident in the carpet we couldn't even actually smell it. Now however I often notice how pungent the smell of his urine is, particularly in the mornings when he pees for like 30 secs straight after holding it in all night (he's a big boy), and I found myself feeling grateful and thinking how convenient it was that his urine didn't smell during the toilet training phase. All of our male dogs have been entire, and it just made me wonder, does desexing your dog make its urine stay smelling like a puppys' - like is it a sexual thing, or does it smell the same regardless - ie it's just an adult dog thing?

I was also curious, does female urine smell different - like to a human...

And just because he's a beautiful boy, here is a photo of him sleeping with his lamby in his mouth.

64304_440149457190_516537190_5846796_4808160_n.jpg

Awww that picture is very cute!

I can't help with the smell as I cannot smell. The dog could wee up my nostril and I wouldnt be able to smell it.

Howie marks his front legs fairly regularly.

Kiff also does this (the only greyhound that we've had here who does it :D ) and there's been days he's come back to the back door with one foot literally yellow and soaked- wanting to come back inside to sleep next to my side of the bed, of course.

I'm very grateful he's desexed and that it doesn't smell, I'm not sure I could stomach having to wipe that off first thing in the morning, otherwise...

Howie marks his front legs fairly regularly.

Kiff also does this (the only greyhound that we've had here who does it :laugh: ) and there's been days he's come back to the back door with one foot literally yellow and soaked- wanting to come back inside to sleep next to my side of the bed, of course.

I'm very grateful he's desexed and that it doesn't smell, I'm not sure I could stomach having to wipe that off first thing in the morning, otherwise...

Baby wipes are wonderful for dealing with pee legs. :laugh:

Just to tell you how strong a male dog's pee is - We have 9 entire males here. Yesterday I found a hole in the colourbond fence of our night yard where the boys all pee first thing in the morning.

Yep, that's right, their pee is so toxic it has eroded the colourbond in just 4 years :laugh: The colourbond is the best for snake-proofing but it's definately not boy-proof :laugh:

I suspect it relates to the amount of testosterone/hormones in their urine.

Doing rescue... usually find that "mature" entire males have a varying level of strong urine stink. Desexing has always helped reduce the odour thank goodness (after about 6 weeks). We were talking about this the other day, it is one good reason to want to desex your male dog if you don't breed.

I think some dogs do stink more than others generally also.

R